Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Boycott “No Campfires”
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Boycott “No Campfires”

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next
colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 06:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

Not one person commented on my idea of having a communal bonfire instead of 40 or 50 small fire's that makes the campground into a smokey haze.

Sign of the times no compromising, don't get your way through a tantrum and demand others cave in to your wishes.

Big leap of faith there on the "no compromise". The only one throwing a tantrum was the OP. That's not a compromise really. There will still be smoke as this would be a much larger fire. And if people don't want to "compromise" IMHO it's because they want to sit around the campfire with their own peeps, not a bunch of strangers. That's not compromise-it's losing out.
I will respectfully disagree. It might be a regional thing. I can remember when I was young getting together at the lake with a campfire and meeting new people. Will Rogers said "strangers are people I haven't meet yet". One hot fire produces very little smoke and with people watching the garbage and plastic is not thrown into the fire.

Where my seasonal is located people get together and everyone is welcome to bring lawn chairs and join in. Kids make smores and toast marshmallows.

Maybe in some area's of dense population people want to get away from other people and do not wish to interact.

Speaking for myself I do not care for the smoke. I enjoy viewing the stars, listening to the loons, wolf's howling in the distance and occasionally the treat of the Northern lights.

* This post was edited 10/13/19 07:11pm by colliehauler *

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 07:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Well, I do have to admit that campfires mean so little to me that I've never even considered asking if they don't allow fires. But to each their own.

Asking about things that are important to you is the best way to insure a good camping experience. So we do. some may want to ask about the bathouses, we do that as well. Some may want to ask about the pool. Pools don't really interest us, but they do some. Some ask about the camp store, or if there is a laundry. Or where the nearest grocery store is.

The only way to insure you get what you are looking for. Is to ask.

BTW. We also ask about street lights in the CG. We don't want any. Or as few as possible. Can't see the stars if there is a lot of light pollution.
I'll have to admit I don't care for lots of streetlights, but even without them, it seems there are more and more people that turn on their awning lights, porch lights, scare lights, and run light cords under their trailers. I have yet to figure this particular trend out. About the only thing we ask is whether they have a spot to fit our 5th wheel in.

We've only left a couple of campgrounds/RV parks after pulling int. One was simply too hilly with steep roads for us to maneuver around, and the other looked like the cast from "Deliverance" was gathered on the front porch. Had a total of about 14 teeth between the six of them. I thought I heard banjo music in the background.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JusBud

Right Here

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/19 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO, a campground is an area where people go in the middle of the wilderness, while an RV Park is a tiny town. Therefore, streetlights are not compatible with campgrounds, but are compatible with RV Parks. Same with swimming pools, stores, laundry facilities, and playgrounds.

As for group campfires, if folks want them, fine. But I have no desire to participate. Same with interpretive programs, potlucks, get togethers, etc. I'm a social person, but not a big group person.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/19 06:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Well, I do have to admit that campfires mean so little to me that I've never even considered asking if they don't allow fires. But to each their own.

Asking about things that are important to you is the best way to insure a good camping experience. So we do. some may want to ask about the bathouses, we do that as well. Some may want to ask about the pool. Pools don't really interest us, but they do some. Some ask about the camp store, or if there is a laundry. Or where the nearest grocery store is.

The only way to insure you get what you are looking for. Is to ask.

BTW. We also ask about street lights in the CG. We don't want any. Or as few as possible. Can't see the stars if there is a lot of light pollution.
I'll have to admit I don't care for lots of streetlights, but even without them, it seems there are more and more people that turn on their awning lights, porch lights, scare lights, and run light cords under their trailers. I have yet to figure this particular trend out. About the only thing we ask is whether they have a spot to fit our 5th wheel in.

We've only left a couple of campgrounds/RV parks after pulling int. One was simply too hilly with steep roads for us to maneuver around, and the other looked like the cast from "Deliverance" was gathered on the front porch. Had a total of about 14 teeth between the six of them. I thought I heard banjo music in the background.

Agree about the scare lights. The last Cg we were in. there were no streetlights. but the folks across the way decided that they could light up the entire CG. I don't mind awning light so much. But at least turn them, off when you go in for the night As for scare lights. I haven't seen them on newer RVs. Never should have been on them to start with.
We have rope lights we lay on the ground just to be able to find the steps. not very bright, and we turn them off when we go in, and don't use them if there is a camper, or tent close to us.

Getting ready to get another telescope. So lights are my worst enemy.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/19 07:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

But is really came down to in park experiences. Replace enough scorched and melted picnic tables and have a trash bin area catch on fire due to people dumping hot coals into a plastic trash barrel you start to think about changing things. Then you have a group of people with a propane pit allowing their children to ignite branches they have broken off the nearby trees. They then proceeded to allow them to dance around waving them as if they were Fourth of July Sparklers with embers flying everywhere. That is the time for a policy that puts an end to all the nonsense. We went full on no open flames because we didn't want to argue about what is acceptable and what is not. There are surely people who make other reservations due to that policy, but there plenty of people who either accept it grudgingly, don't care one way or the other (vast majority, I believe) or welcome it with open arms. It's been 10+ years and we haven't gone out of business yet.

Thank you for your input - this all makes sense to me (and once again, the bad apples ruin it for everyone)

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/19 07:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

Five or so years ago, early in the spring, about a dozen Michigan State Parks offered "Dark Sky Nights". For one weekend, no lights were permitted - I chose Orchard Beach State Park on a high bluff overlooking Lake Michigan. A group of us were practicing taking long-exposure photos; and the cold clean air enabled me to take photos that captured the red antenna lights from Wisconsin along the lake's horizon! Venus was so bright that it created a "light path" across the calm lake.

I wish they would offer that again - it was magical!

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/19 08:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

Five or so years ago, early in the spring, about a dozen Michigan State Parks offered "Dark Sky Nights". For one weekend, no lights were permitted - I chose Orchard Beach State Park on a high bluff overlooking Lake Michigan. A group of us were practicing taking long-exposure photos; and the cold clean air enabled me to take photos that captured the red antenna lights from Wisconsin along the lake's horizon! Venus was so bright that it created a "light path" across the calm lake.

I wish they would offer that again - it was magical!

Michigan now has the Headlands Dark Sky Park on Lake Michigan a couple miles west of Mackinaw City.

http://www.midarkskypark.org/

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

JusBud

Right Here

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/19 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

"No open flames" is our policy and it works for us.

I'm just curious, not trying to start arguments - why did you arrive at this policy? Are you in a heavily wooded area?
Not heavily wooded, but we do have some trees around.
Montana law holds that the total liability for a forest fire will rest with the person or entity that started the fire. A forest fire can cost millions of dollars to extinguish. Plus a forest fire doesn't have to start in the middle of a dense forest, they often begin in clearings and we have areas where there are adjacent hillsides and bluffs with range grass that is tinder dry in the heat of the summer.
But is really came down to in park experiences. Replace enough scorched and melted picnic tables and have a trash bin area catch on fire due to people dumping hot coals into a plastic trash barrel you start to think about changing things. Then you have a group of people with a propane pit allowing their children to ignite branches they have broken off the nearby trees. They then proceeded to allow them to dance around waving them as if they were Fourth of July Sparklers with embers flying everywhere. That is the time for a policy that puts an end to all the nonsense. We went full on no open flames because we didn't want to argue about what is acceptable and what is not. There are surely people who make other reservations due to that policy, but there plenty of people who either accept it grudgingly, don't care one way or the other (vast majority, I believe) or welcome it with open arms. It's been 10+ years and we haven't gone out of business yet.

Kids can't play with ignited branches?
I guess I can understand that in today's society but that was part of growing up and enjoying a campfire.
I don't remember any of us burning down the village because of it.
Do you ban people from smoking too?
And not because they might be on fire

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/19 09:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ain’t nothing quite like the smell of a Smokey fire from 100 feet away penetrating my trailer and stinking things up. And the fire makers scrambling around to keep it out of their own faces.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Boycott “No Campfires”
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS