Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Boycott “No Campfires”
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Boycott “No Campfires”

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next
Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 06:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

"No open flames" is our policy and it works for us.

I'm just curious, not trying to start arguments - why did you arrive at this policy? Are you in a heavily wooded area?

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 06:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I,for one, don't give a hoot about campfires. We used to go into the woods on the state land or national forest campsites ,gather wood and do a fire. Did this occasionally but still did it. I have seen many make their whole RV thing about being at a campfire. So be it.
Heck anytime we wanted a campfire we go about 50 yards into my heavily treed backyard and make a fire, do a dog or smores, no big deal.
We left our old Apache pop up in my woods up north for years and camped there ... made a fire often because we got cold during deer camp.
Fires are what you make them to some, like me' been there did that often and still do ... at home.
Good luck to you all that don't have the conditions we do .... bottom line go get your piece of heaven on your own property

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/19 10:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

pnichols wrote:

Yolue wrote:

We RVers need to Boycott places that don’t allow a special part of the camping experience...”campfires”. It’s bad enough that so many places don’t allow wood fires but not allowing propane campfires is beyond ridiculous.

We carry in our RV a variety of equipment and supplies for a campfire and it’s so disappointing to not be able to use them and enjoy that experience.

I own a small RV park and when we are in a burning ban I have had people cancel their reservation...”Really, we can’t have a campfire?...we will book another time”

I will not book anymore places that don’t allow a campfire.

We carry along a propane firepit and an extra 20 lb. propane tank to power it in order to solve the "no campfires" problem! No fire ring to clean out or messing with firewood is required.

The flame is adjustable and comes up through the bricks in the firepit to look just like a the real thing. It puts out heat just like the real thing, cooks S'mores and hot dogs, emits no odors to bother other campers, and you just turn a knob to shut it down when going to bed.

It works like a champ for providing carefree campfires everywhere.

Can't make stick biscuits on one. got to have a real fire.

I"ll bet we could make em' on this propane firepit - which is just like ours. We get dancing yellow flames, glowing red/orange hot lava rocks covering the bottom to bake/cook stuff over, warmth bathing our skin, etc. - all without the downsides of a legal or illegal messy wood fire:
https://www.amazon.com/Outland-Firebowl-........door/dp/B00FWKVGQ0/?tag=morningchores-20

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/19 11:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I boycott everything I don't like. Now if building a good campfire was not such a lost art I might be able to enjoy one without being downwind of 20+ smoke pits.

Best of luck on your quest...

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/19 11:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not every RV Park bans all outdoor fires. So the answer is simple:

If you like campfires, frequent the parks that allow them

If you don't like campfires, frequent the parks that don't allow them.

There is no reason to force either side to give in to the other.

For public campgrounds, campfires are usually allowed unless there is a burn ban.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 12:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

No Campfires..........PLEASE post those CGs
Call them out
We should start an ongoing list that gets updated frequently

That way I can pick which ones I will partonize cause I hate campfires!

Not so much hate them.....it's just there are MORE & More inept campers that do NOT know how to have a campfire.
They think smoldering/smokey is good vs an actual fire
And then they go inside!

YEAH.CGs with NO Campfires.
I like the concept

Please post the list - if you find one!

Let the "camper" choose his option...[emoticon]

Like OB - I'm in the "no thanks" group - been at too many campgrounds where you choke on your inconsiderate neighbor's smoke..[emoticon]

~

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/19 07:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rich people ruin everything.

LOL!

Peeps I think we've been duped. Troll. And we fell for it. I'm done.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/19 08:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That wasn't the OP who said that.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 09:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not one person commented on my idea of having a communal bonfire instead of 40 or 50 small fire's that makes the campground into a smokey haze.

Sign of the times no compromising, don't get your way through a tantrum and demand others cave in to your wishes.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 09:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

westernrvparkowner wrote:

"No open flames" is our policy and it works for us.

I'm just curious, not trying to start arguments - why did you arrive at this policy? Are you in a heavily wooded area?
Not heavily wooded, but we do have some trees around.
Montana law holds that the total liability for a forest fire will rest with the person or entity that started the fire. A forest fire can cost millions of dollars to extinguish. Plus a forest fire doesn't have to start in the middle of a dense forest, they often begin in clearings and we have areas where there are adjacent hillsides and bluffs with range grass that is tinder dry in the heat of the summer.
But is really came down to in park experiences. Replace enough scorched and melted picnic tables and have a trash bin area catch on fire due to people dumping hot coals into a plastic trash barrel you start to think about changing things. Then you have a group of people with a propane pit allowing their children to ignite branches they have broken off the nearby trees. They then proceeded to allow them to dance around waving them as if they were Fourth of July Sparklers with embers flying everywhere. That is the time for a policy that puts an end to all the nonsense. We went full on no open flames because we didn't want to argue about what is acceptable and what is not. There are surely people who make other reservations due to that policy, but there plenty of people who either accept it grudgingly, don't care one way or the other (vast majority, I believe) or welcome it with open arms. It's been 10+ years and we haven't gone out of business yet.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Boycott “No Campfires”
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS