Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Boycott “No Campfires”
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Boycott “No Campfires”

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next
Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/07/2004

View Profile



Posted: 10/12/19 02:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think all of us understand that camping will include folks with campfires. I enjoy a campfire (I'm the one sitting 20' away) just for the conversational aspect of it. I've asked to be moved from a site where my neighbors already had a smoky fire going, no whining involved - it was easier for us to move than for the neighbors to change which way the wind was blowing.

But maybe the campgrounds that have gotten rid of fire rings, have become tired of cleaning up the garbage, listening to complaints about smoky fires, or noisy groups staying up late around the campfires, worrying about frequent burn bans, etc. Like so many other things, a few rotten apples CAN spoil it for everyone.

RAS43

Littleton,CO

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/12/19 03:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

I think all of us understand that camping will include folks with campfires. I enjoy a campfire (I'm the one sitting 20' away) just for the conversational aspect of it. I've asked to be moved from a site where my neighbors already had a smoky fire going, no whining involved - it was easier for us to move than for the neighbors to change which way the wind was blowing.

But maybe the campgrounds that have gotten rid of fire rings, have become tired of cleaning up the garbage, listening to complaints about smoky fires, or noisy groups staying up late around the campfires, worrying about frequent burn bans, etc. Like so many other things, a few rotten apples CAN spoil it for everyone.


Well said, IMO!

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 10/12/19 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Airdaile wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Airdaile wrote:

What puzzles me is that people will take part in an activity that clearly includes an aspect that they don't like, and knowing full well that that particular aspect is an integral part of the activity, set out to change things to remove that part which they don't like, ruining it for everyone.

...
Perhaps you should review the definition of "integral", and maybe select the word "optional" instead.

And perhaps at the same time review the OP's first post. Again, this thread is not about campers/RV'ers banning fires, it's about the owners of RV parks and campgrounds banning fires. And since the owners may be banning fires because of complaints about said fires, maybe it isn't quite the "integral" part of the activity that you think it is. As for me, and many others from what I've seen and heard, not having a fire doesn't "ruin" anything.


I wasn't referring to the OP's post, I was referring to all the "I don't like campfires" posters. And you have made my point. Campfires being "optional" is not how it started out. And it's not "optional" now. It's "I don't like this so I'm gonna whine about it until it gets banned". It's I don't like it so you can't do it. It's all wrong. Complaining to a CG owner until he can't stand the sound of you voice and bans fires is ruining it for everyone. You all knew that campfires were a part of camping when you started. Or didn't HGTV mention that in the show you watched?
You might want to check your meds, I don't think they're working for you. No one, I repeat, NO ONE, had advocated banning fires because they're smoky and stinky. And honestly, you're the only really whinging on about a non-existent topic in this thread.


Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Camper8251

Gallatin Valley MT

Senior Member

Joined: 08/30/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/12/19 04:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why don't they allow campfires?
Is it because of a burn ban to prevent wild fires? If so then that is life.
People are stupid, and don't monitor their fires... That's why

Almost seems like new member is trolling...........


2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 DMAX
Outdoors RV 23DBS
19.5 Vision Wheels with
Toyo M608z's 225/70R19.5 14 plys rated at 3970

mowermech

Billings, MT

Senior Member

Joined: 06/28/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/12/19 04:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

Yolue wrote:

We RVers need to Boycott places that don’t allow a special part of the camping experience...”campfires”.
It’s bad enough that so many places don’t allow wood fires but not allowing propane campfires is beyond ridiculous!
We carry in our RV a variety of equipment and supplies for a campfire and it’s so disappointing to not be able to use them and enjoy that experience.

I own a small RV park and when we are in a burning ban I have had people cancel their reservation...”Really, we can’t have a campfire?...we will book another time”

I will not book anymore places that don’t allow a campfire.


We carry along a propane firepit and an extra 20 lb. propane tank to power it in order to solve the "no campfires" problem! No fire ring to clean out or messing with firewood is required.

The flame is adjustable and comes up through the bricks in the firepit to look just like a the real thing. It puts out heat just like the real thing, cooks S'mores and hot dogs, emits no odors to bother other campers, and you just turn a knob to shut it down when going to bed.

It works like a champ for providing carefree campfires everywhere.


Amazing the number of people who apparently did not read and understand the OP!
"It’s bad enough that so many places don’t allow wood fires but not allowing propane campfires is beyond ridiculous!"
Seems to me that is pretty clear: Banning wood fires is OK when necessary, but banning propane "campfires" is ridiculous.
I agree. I carry one of those things along with a 5 pound propane cylinder. There is no smoke, no sparks, no embers, nothing but a little propane fire. I also carry a small propane grill and a two burner propane cook stove. If the campground or RV park tells me "NO!", well, once again I am on wheels, I can leave quite quickly, never to return. I'm sure they really do not care if I leave, and they do not care about the comments I might make on a website. Y'know, I do not care whether they care or not!


CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Airdaile

On The Road

Senior Member

Joined: 01/28/2019

View Profile



Posted: 10/12/19 05:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

You might want to check your meds, I don't think they're working for you. No one, I repeat, NO ONE, had advocated banning fires because they're smoky and stinky.


Oh Really?

TechWritet wrote:

Au contraire. Please supply a list of these smoke free campgrounds. They're my next stops.


YOU wrote:

I'm another one that wants that list so I can save them as my favorite RV'ing spots. Campfires only do one thing well: stink and smoke, okay two things. More power to 'em.


midnitesadie wrote:

not a bad Idea no m camp fires,they just stink up the camp any way. and if it would save ONE FORREST FIRE it would be worth it. p.s. your fire stinks up my rv. no thanks.


colliehauler wrote:

While I don't hate campfires I do agree with inept campers that not only burn wood but garbage and plastic. I to would not want a campfire in close quarter's next to my camper.


YOU wrote:

Given the choice between smoky, stinky fires or bugs, I'll take the bugs every time. And the only way it keeps the bugs away is if you sit in the smoke. Boy is that pleasant.


ncrowley wrote:

I also prefer a campground that does not allow campfires at the site. I am fine with a place away from the sites, but I dislike the smell, smoke, and embers that fly up.


Deb and Ed M wrote:

I've asked to be moved from a site where my neighbors already had a smoky fire going, no whining involved - it was easier for us to move than for the neighbors to change which way the wind was blowing.






westernrvparkowner

montana

Senior Member

Joined: 11/29/2008

View Profile



Posted: 10/12/19 05:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

pnichols wrote:

Yolue wrote:

We RVers need to Boycott places that don’t allow a special part of the camping experience...”campfires”.
It’s bad enough that so many places don’t allow wood fires but not allowing propane campfires is beyond ridiculous!
We carry in our RV a variety of equipment and supplies for a campfire and it’s so disappointing to not be able to use them and enjoy that experience.

I own a small RV park and when we are in a burning ban I have had people cancel their reservation...”Really, we can’t have a campfire?...we will book another time”

I will not book anymore places that don’t allow a campfire.


We carry along a propane firepit and an extra 20 lb. propane tank to power it in order to solve the "no campfires" problem! No fire ring to clean out or messing with firewood is required.

The flame is adjustable and comes up through the bricks in the firepit to look just like a the real thing. It puts out heat just like the real thing, cooks S'mores and hot dogs, emits no odors to bother other campers, and you just turn a knob to shut it down when going to bed.

It works like a champ for providing carefree campfires everywhere.


Amazing the number of people who apparently did not read and understand the OP!
"It’s bad enough that so many places don’t allow wood fires but not allowing propane campfires is beyond ridiculous!"
Seems to me that is pretty clear: Banning wood fires is OK when necessary, but banning propane "campfires" is ridiculous.
I agree. I carry one of those things along with a 5 pound propane cylinder. There is no smoke, no sparks, no embers, nothing but a little propane fire. I also carry a small propane grill and a two burner propane cook stove. If the campground or RV park tells me "NO!", well, once again I am on wheels, I can leave quite quickly, never to return. I'm sure they really do not care if I leave, and they do not care about the comments I might make on a website. Y'know, I do not care whether they care or not!
We agree on a couple of things. The park doesn't care if you leave and never return because you don't like a rule or policy and they definitely don't care about the comments you make on a website. Reviews that are all about grinding axes have so diluted the actual reviews most people just ignore them completely. "No open flames" is our policy and it works for us.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

Senior Member

Joined: 01/29/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/12/19 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh Really?

Yes, really! No one and I repeat NO ONE has said fires shouldn't exist-they've merely stated they don't like them. Read what you posted again and then show us where it says THEY SHOULD BE BANNED. These comments merely state how they take it upon THEMSELVES to avoid the smoke with no comments on banning them. Please don't invent issues that don't exist.

It is pure and simple just as resolving issues such as cancellation polices, check in times, etc. If you don't like the policy, just go elsewhere. Easy peasy!


I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 10/12/19 05:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Airdaile wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

You might want to check your meds, I don't think they're working for you. No one, I repeat, NO ONE, had advocated banning fires because they're smoky and stinky.


Oh Really?

TechWritet wrote:

Au contraire. Please supply a list of these smoke free campgrounds. They're my next stops.


YOU wrote:

I'm another one that wants that list so I can save them as my favorite RV'ing spots. Campfires only do one thing well: stink and smoke, okay two things. More power to 'em.


midnitesadie wrote:

not a bad Idea no m camp fires,they just stink up the camp any way. and if it would save ONE FORREST FIRE it would be worth it. p.s. your fire stinks up my rv. no thanks.


colliehauler wrote:

While I don't hate campfires I do agree with inept campers that not only burn wood but garbage and plastic. I to would not want a campfire in close quarter's next to my camper.


YOU wrote:

Given the choice between smoky, stinky fires or bugs, I'll take the bugs every time. And the only way it keeps the bugs away is if you sit in the smoke. Boy is that pleasant.


ncrowley wrote:

I also prefer a campground that does not allow campfires at the site. I am fine with a place away from the sites, but I dislike the smell, smoke, and embers that fly up.


Deb and Ed M wrote:

I've asked to be moved from a site where my neighbors already had a smoky fire going, no whining involved - it was easier for us to move than for the neighbors to change which way the wind was blowing.
Uh yeah, I totally missed the posts that want to ban campfires, or did you decide not to post them? Or do you just want to go ahead and admit you're wrong about that?

Airdaile

On The Road

Senior Member

Joined: 01/28/2019

View Profile



Posted: 10/12/19 06:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's what I'll admit. There's a long history in this country that went from things people whining about to things banned. At some point, someone needs to say "Enough!". CAMP fires people; CAMP fires.

Rich people ruin everything.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Boycott “No Campfires”
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS