Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Boycott “No Campfires”
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Boycott “No Campfires”

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next
K3WE

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 03:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

2012Coleman wrote:

gbopp wrote:

westernrvparkowner wrote:

"Aliens teleport all the world's porcelain toilets to their deathstar, leaving nothing but exposed sewer pipes in the stalls."

Oh Great! Now I have something else to worry about.
Thanks for ruining my day. [emoticon]
Boycott the Aliens!!! They are taking away our rights to poop in porcelain toilets!

I'm going to find as many toilet forums as I can and spread the word! Join me!!
Sounds like a lot of paper work.

I guess if I ever go to a campground where I THOUGHT I could have a fire and told I can't, I will be bummed.

In the meantime, I can think of all sorts of reasons to ban this or that in the way of fires THAT DEPEND ON THE SITUATION IN THE CAMPGROUND. Are we really out in a good moist woods, with plenty of space, or is the place tight, or dry, or any other number of things.

If it's a concern, I guess the OP should call ahead.

As far as an organized boycott...no thanks, too many variables for knee-jerk-public-opinion-flame wars.

But, perhaps we do need to boycott those porcelain stealing aliens, in the meantime, I am relaxed knowing that my RV has the basic plastic special.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP specifically said he was NOT talking about places with burn bans in place for fire prevention.

He was talking about RV Parks that don't allow campfires just because.

Totally different thing.

But the answer isn't a boycott and putting those parks out of business. It's simply choosing to go to RV Parks that allow campfires and leave the others to all those folks who don't want campfires. Something for everyone.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 03:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your going to boycott something, why not make it something that’s really important? Don’t waste your time with this small stuff!

Like these dang ice cream companies that sell their products in 1.5 qt containers, instead of a full half-gallon (that’s two full quarts, for the volumetric challenged). They keep doing it because they think we didn’t notice. They also didn’t think we’d notice that they whip a bunch of air into the ice cream now, which means we’re getting even less ice cream in our shrunken containers! And it doesn’t freeze as hard, and it melts faster. [emoticon]

Don’t be stupid! Quit buying that ripoff ice cream! If they couldn’t sell it, they’d quit making it!

And yes, I only buy the few brands that still sell real half-gallons. But I can’t do this alone. We gotta stick together if we’re going to bend them to our will!

Who’s with me on this???

As you were.

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was edited 10/11/19 04:00pm by NRALIFR *

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be aware that the ice cream companies cannot just whip a bunch of air into the product to save themselves money. At least in Michigan, where my dad ran an Ice cream company his whole life and I worked there from the time I was able to take directions reliably until I graduated from college, the gallon of ice cream must weigh a certain amount (air) and that weight is constantly monitored as the cartons or containers are being filled at the freezer. Every 15 minutes or so a gallon is weighed and if necessary the air volume is changed right then as the ice cream continues to be put in the cartons. We used to run three or four freezers at a time when filling quarts and also the 3 gallon tubs.

I suspect that most states have regulations similar to Michigans when it come to the weight of ice cream cartons. You are certainly right on the size however! It is difficult to find a full half gallon now. [emoticon]

By the way, the name of the ice cream company was Wesleys Ice Cream Co. and was located in Detroit, Mi. My dad helped form that company from the Ebling Creamery Co. and was still there when it was sold to another dairy in Michigan many years later. He then left and went to the Baskin Robbins plant in Ann Arbor where he finished his career.

Thanks for the opportunity to reminisce! [emoticon]
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

ncrowley

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 06:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also prefer a campground that does not allow campfires at the site. I am fine with a place away from the sites, but I dislike the smell, smoke, and embers that fly up.

Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Bert Ackerman

Palm Beach

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 06:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you do not like campfires, don't go to "Campgrounds" that have fire rings and permit fires. It's really that easy. Up in the Northeast / Mid Atlantic, the public campgrounds be they State or Fed/USACE, were built to be campgrounds for camping. They all permit fires and all have fire rings. They were not built to be overnight stops for travelers or to be long term accomodations for full timers. They are for the residents of those areas to be able to get out and experience nature. Campfires have always been a part of that experience and always will be.

If you want to "RV", go to RV Parks or Resorts.

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TechWriter wrote:

Yolue wrote:

We RVers need to Boycott places that don’t allow a special part of the camping experience...”campfires”. It’s bad enough that so many places don’t allow wood fires but not allowing propane campfires is beyond ridiculous.

Au contraire. Please supply a list of these smoke free campgrounds. They're my next stops.
I agree! Carry one of those propane "campfires" if you must, but leave the firewood behind. I hate the smoke and the smell of my clothes and trailer after being around one. Very much prefer the campgrounds that don't allow them.

B.O.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 08:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bert Ackerman wrote:

If you do not like campfires, don't go to "Campgrounds" that have fire rings and permit fires. It's really that easy. Up in the Northeast / Mid Atlantic, the public campgrounds be they State or Fed/USACE, were built to be campgrounds for camping. They all permit fires and all have fire rings. They were not built to be overnight stops for travelers or to be long term accomodations for full timers. They are for the residents of those areas to be able to get out and experience nature. Campfires have always been a part of that experience and always will be.

If you want to "RV", go to RV Parks or Resorts.
Nope, I'll go where I want to go, thank you very much. I RV, I gave up tents and camping many years ago. Got a tent? You're camping. Got a trailer? You're RV'ing.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 08:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A campground we have frequented for decades, we love a fire out front of the coach near the lake, in the cool of the evening and night. The Loons hollering early,Squirrels running around. Trouble is I can't take much of a good thing,
Build the fire out large oak and hickory and I might make it two hours but probably not once the fire is crackling, stars sparkllng overhead and my eyes refuse to stay open.
If I can find one again a hammock with a rain cover or whatever overhead and a couple of warm blankets, and I'll sleep by the fire. If I was younger might do it on the ground again.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 11:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yolue wrote:

We RVers need to Boycott places that don’t allow a special part of the camping experience...”campfires”. It’s bad enough that so many places don’t allow wood fires but not allowing propane campfires is beyond ridiculous.

We carry in our RV a variety of equipment and supplies for a campfire and it’s so disappointing to not be able to use them and enjoy that experience.

I own a small RV park and when we are in a burning ban I have had people cancel their reservation...”Really, we can’t have a campfire?...we will book another time”

I will not book anymore places that don’t allow a campfire.

We carry along a propane firepit and an extra 20 lb. propane tank to power it in order to solve the "no campfires" problem! No fire ring to clean out or messing with firewood is required.

The flame is adjustable and comes up through the bricks in the firepit to look just like a the real thing. It puts out heat just like the real thing, cooks S'mores and hot dogs, emits no odors to bother other campers, and you just turn a knob to shut it down when going to bed.

It works like a champ for providing carefree campfires everywhere.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Boycott “No Campfires”
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS