Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Myrtle Beach, SC to Quartzsite, AZ in January
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Myrtle Beach, SC to Quartzsite, AZ in January

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
drk351

Eastern Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/19 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are going to be making the trip from the Myrtle Beach area to Quartzsite, AZ in January. We will be taking route 10 west. If any of you have made this drive, how long did it take you to get there. We are in no hurry to arrive at our destination. We would also like to make some stops along the way. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Dale

romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never made the trip but google says over 2300 miles, that is a long haul. I would allow at least 10 days but I don't push.

Lwiddis

Veterans’ Park, Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/19 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you sure the Interstate would be the most scenic, interesting way?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/19 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to Florida. Nothing to see in Quartzsite but rocks and desert.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't show what kind of RV you've got but I'm sure you'll have fun around Quartzsite. It's the "Sturgis" of RVing. Everyone needs to do it at least once - I've been there about 1/2 dozen times and enjoyed it every time. We spend over 2 weeks there each time. The week before the Big Tent opens we dry camp with a huge circle of about 150 other Treks with lot of fellowship, potlucks and bonfires. With our holding tanks full, the second week we move to La Posa South LTVA (Long Term Visitor Area) run by the BLM where they charge $40 for two weeks to dry camp but they have a dump station, fresh water and dumpsters for trash. We find a spot close enough to the dump to see the line that forms each day. Toward sunset, the line disappears and we dump our tanks and refill our fresh water tank.

On the way there, we stop at Holt's Shell & RV Park in Gila Bend. The Passport America rate is under $13 for full 50amp hookups. They don't take reservations so try to get there early. If all the sites are taken, you can drycamp on their lot but it might be a little noisy.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

bobsallyh

Livingston, TX.

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best bet is head over to I-95 from MB. Peddle quickly south to I-10 and pound the pavement west to Q. If you go further north than I-10 all bets are off on travel with tricky weather.

Happytraveler

Capistrano Beach, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're also going to Quartzite in January. My sister and a group of friends are all meeting up. It will be the first time for us, but they say they have a great time.

Does anyone know when the RV Show starts.

Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/19 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could head to Atlanta to get on I-20 to west Tx then stay on I-10 . You wouldn't have to go so far south then come back north .

chiefneon

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/19 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy!

If the weather is good I would also agree running I-20 west until you intersect I-10 in West Texas.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/19 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drk351 wrote:

We are going to be making the trip from the Myrtle Beach area to Quartzsite, AZ in January. We will be taking route 10 west. If any of you have made this drive, how long did it take you to get there. We are in no hurry to arrive at our destination. We would also like to make some stops along the way. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Dale

Driving 50 or 80, TX has legal speeds of 85MPH, NM & AZ 75. Hours driving? I'm retired so 200-250 and I'm done.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Myrtle Beach, SC to Quartzsite, AZ in January
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS