Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Deceptive traffic citations
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Deceptive traffic citations

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

I'm getting a kick out of the posts recommending a court fight. If the police are crooked enough to write bogus tickets, what makes you think their brother-in-law the judge will be any less crooked?

They are the other people who have not been the scoundrels that us traffic law breakers are. Or they would know better.
Local speed trap town (hint, it’s the town in my “location”, Don’t speed in Black Diamond, outwardly tells offenders. Show up to court and get it reduced to a local infraction.
Then the city doesn’t have to share the revenue with the State. They just line up all the speeders every day in court and rubber stamp the speeding tickets down to a local inanttentive driving infraction with no points and you pay your “city street toll” and move on with life.
Can’t believe, the cop actually let my wife off, no ticket, when she got pulled over. Probably because she is hot and driving a cool car....
I wasn’t as lucky. Ugly and pickup truck.....

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My tiny town has a "well marked" speed trap. It's amazing the number of local residents complaining about the speed trap. Speed goes from 45-40 and then sign advising of lower speed ahead, and then the sign going from 40-30, well in advance of the actual speed limit reduction. Police sit on the other side of the railroad tracks right next to the park and write tickets for as long as they feel like it.

Bert Ackerman

Palm Beach

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL, The mother of all speed traps.

I have not been through Summersville WV for around 10 years and these articles are from 2005, so I am not sure if it still exists, but they wrote the user manual on speed traps. I received a ticket there @ 2000 for 2 mph over (in 2nd article they claimed they only cited people for 11 mph over and issued as many warnings as citations, that was total BS), and while being written up 2 other people were also being written up on the other side of the highway. 3 local yokels from a town of 3000 people on duty at 4:00 AM writing tickets.

Summersville WV

More Summersville WV.

* This post was edited 10/09/19 10:47am by Bert Ackerman *

tdiller

usa

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If this is a first for you it may be worth going back to court and getting supervision. You'll be on a probationary period which when completed without any further infractions is removed from your record.

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hiring A traffic paralegal can take the fight to them without you don't the work. It will cost you but if this is a principal thing I understand. Will also keep your record clean if they are successful. They will go after the loop holes like radar calibration and such.

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/19 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sadly you cannot beat townhall. Even more sad most local governments are flat outright corrupt at the highest levels. Local government and State and the Federal government do all sorts of things that are often illegal and unethical. There is more at the local level because it is less likely to be discovered.

There is nothing new about this.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can get it reduced or court supervision or whatever, probably over the phone. Every situation is a little different. Read the fine print, make a couple calls, whatever, deal with it.
Small municipalities especially, just want the money. That’s all.
Besides a couple points on a spotless decades long driving record won’t mean anything anyway.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suspect a motorhome or large RV signals two things: a nice large frontal area to bounce radar off; the ability to pay whatever fine is involved; and the desire to not hang around to fight the ticket in court because the person is traveling.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe there are speed traps. However, I also believe that many people complaining about getting caught in a speed trap, simply got caught speeding.

Oftentimes an officer is handing out tickets because of complaints by the local residents. I got a ticket like that once. It was a common commute route and the homeowners complained enough about speeding that the PD set up an officer to hand out tickets over the course of a week. I got caught speeding and got a ticket. It wasn't a speed trap, it was a focused application.

The officer even apologized to me for the ticket. There was no plan to make money, just to stop the speeding.

Amazing how many people told me it was a speed trap and I should fight it because "it was illegal". Nothing illegal about it. I knew I was speeding. The signs were proper. There just happened to be an officer watching with a radar gun.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A town I live near has the speed limit drop from 65 to 45 on the edge of town. Problem is the sign that says Speed Change Ahead is mounted very close to the speed limit sign. And, the Speed Change Ahead sign is at the top of a hill and on a slight curve. If you want to get down to the new limit on time you are going to have to hit the brakes hard, and they get hot. The cop likes to set at the bottom of the hill and write up tickets. I've seen the truckers get their brakes smoking hot trying to get down to speed on time when they see the cop.

It's a trap. The signs are to close together.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Deceptive traffic citations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS