Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Deceptive traffic citations
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Deceptive traffic citations

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 04:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

Well, if I remember right from Drivers Education, some 49 years ago, the vehicle is suppose to be going the posted speed limit when they they are at the sign, not after it, slowing down then. And should not speed back up again until after completely passing the increase-in-speed sign. If you were going faster than the posted speedlimit at the actual sign, then yes... you were speeding. You cannot justify the actions of anyone else but yourself, I can't justify any's actions but my own too. You were the one the officer choose. Grin and bear it.

I find it interesting that when law enforcement actually ENFORCE the law, people get mad. Funny how that works.

And yes, I've had a couple speeding tickets myself, caught by camera in Iowa City, Iowa many years ago. I slow down before the sign. Yea, it pi$$es drivers off behind me, but I really don't care. 2 tickets in my lifetime is 2 tickets too many.
Didn't you erase a years worth of posts and go away for months because people on here treated you like this?

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 05:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Planning wrote:

Law enforcement is an executive branch function.

The court is a judicial entity.

The mayor is analogous to the legislative branch.

I think you are in error with this list. Most places, the mayor is the head of the executive branch. But I agree it is unlikely the mayor will step in between you and one of his officers.
But, IMHO, the best penalty for speeding in a construction zone would be the driver blindfolded, and tied to a barrel and stood on the line to protect the workers from traffic...

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hamnit!

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/19 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

You and others on this thread must never have visited the north Florida towns of Waldo and Lawtey.

Oh yes, I remember driving through Waldo while going to school in Gainesville back in the 90's. Many of my friends got multiple tickets driving through that town. I used to visit my cousin in Jacksonville while going to school at UF and had to drive through Waldo.

2018 Miramar 35.3
2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500
4 fur kids (Murphy, Monty, Lola and Pinto)

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm getting a kick out of the posts recommending a court fight. If the police are crooked enough to write bogus tickets, what makes you think their brother-in-law the judge will be any less crooked?

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting thread to read.

My son got caught in one of the "non-existent" speed traps that don't exist (as some seem to think). I may have posted about this awhile ago - in a Maryland "construction zone" (some people may already be sadly nodding their heads). Turns out that in Maryland, when they are thinking about doing highway work, they can put up "construction ahead" signs in that area months before anything is started, and lower the speed limit by 10-25mph seemingly depending on the mood of whoever decides these things.

Son was using cruise control right around 68mph in a 65mph zone (YES! He was speeding!! 3mph over!!!). Little traffic, and as he said no construction cones, flashing lights, nothing. NO police cars. He got a mailed traffic citation (from a camera) for "speeding in a construction zone". Turns out there was a "construction ahead" sign somewhere that he passed without seeing it, and the speed limit dropped - again, without him realizing it.

I told him to just pay it (it wasn't that much), because in today's world of computerized records you want to make sure it doesn't come back to bite you in the future to have that on your record.

I looked it up on the internet, turns out Maryland is notorious for doing this. Put up construction ahead signs in an area that might have construction sometime in the future, lower the speed limit (with little signage, and nothing like traffic cones or construction trucks / equipment), use cameras to enforce it. Later, when no construction actually is going to be done in that area, take all the signage down and move to another possible future construction area.

But, of course, it isn't a speed trap.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/19 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvov wrote:

Interesting thread to read.

My son got caught in one of the "non-existent" speed traps that don't exist (as some seem to think). I may have posted about this awhile ago - in a Maryland "construction zone" (some people may already be sadly nodding their heads). Turns out that in Maryland, when they are thinking about doing highway work, they can put up "construction ahead" signs in that area months before anything is started, and lower the speed limit by 10-25mph seemingly depending on the mood of whoever decides these things.

Son was using cruise control right around 68mph in a 65mph zone (YES! He was speeding!! 3mph over!!!). Little traffic, and as he said no construction cones, flashing lights, nothing. NO police cars. He got a mailed traffic citation (from a camera) for "speeding in a construction zone". Turns out there was a "construction ahead" sign somewhere that he passed without seeing it, and the speed limit dropped - again, without him realizing it.

I told him to just pay it (it wasn't that much), because in today's world of computerized records you want to make sure it doesn't come back to bite you in the future to have that on your record.

I looked it up on the internet, turns out Maryland is notorious for doing this. Put up construction ahead signs in an area that might have construction sometime in the future, lower the speed limit (with little signage, and nothing like traffic cones or construction trucks / equipment), use cameras to enforce it. Later, when no construction actually is going to be done in that area, take all the signage down and move to another possible future construction area.

But, of course, it isn't a speed trap.

I travel from SE PA to VA every 5-6 weeks and usually stay on 95.. I have received those tickets in the mail as well.. actually my office does, as the truck is leased under the company name. They CANNOT give any type of driving infraction to a said person as they have no idea who actually was driving the vehicle that day... It is just a money making scheme . .

Either take a day off and spend it in their court system HOPING to get it reduces, or pay it and move on...

At least those in MD are NO POINTS and NO insurance effecting

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I doubt this OP is coming back.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/19 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

At least those in MD are NO POINTS and NO insurance effecting

That only pertains to the camera traps. MD has those cameras at many of their school zones and use them at odd hours and use confusing signs so it is impossible to know when the lowered speed limit is in effect. The fine is not reported to the state and the money is divided between the camera company and the local jurisdiction, your drivers license is not affected because they want repeat customers.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to work with a former Maryland state trooper. He said that one day in court all of his tickets were dismissed for failure to have a speed limit sign posted within X numbers of feet . He went to carrying one in his trunk and propping it against his back bumper.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Deceptive traffic citations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS