Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Deceptive traffic citations
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Deceptive traffic citations

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/19 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not going to quote the long post by fellow Rver from PA...but... no speedometer ss accurate to one mph except at one point in the wear of the tires perhaps.
There is no Judge unless he is running a ticket factory going to fne your for one mph over. He does appeal, though costly will get it thrown out and maybe that judge counciled.
here in Tn and in parts of Pa I have been in a car on cruise and especially a Mh, or your foot on throttle and brake cannot keep speed on the mark! Our little AMG with tremendous torque engine braking might in fifth gear but not 6th or 7th but I doubt it becau of the hills and even minor rises and dips.. They tried that trick on downgrade of Interstate 81 I think, north of Knoxville years ago, and in many places around the Country until the State got involved.And in VA years ago using it as excuse for drug checks or something and the money.
State put an end to that too. Around here 10% or 10 mph on the interstates or more. Keeping with the flos of the traffic as is the wise logical and safe thing to do.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for the Heads UP

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One Parish in La on I49 had about 75 yards of I49 running thru a corner of the Parish. Guess what that was the only place in that Parish that speeding occurred. The legislature had to address the problem. There was a small town near New Orleans that ran the town budget on income from the highway through town . The state clamped down on them and they have been in final trouble each year since then. That is the definition of speed traps.

Planning

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

senecal.tony wrote:

I made call to the Tullos mayor’s office...In addition, I have attempted to locate a website or email for the Tullos LA Mayor’s office

Law enforcement is an executive branch function.

The court is a judicial entity.

The mayor is analogous to the legislative branch.

Communication with a legislative type of functionary is not the appropriate venue for an issue dealing with either law enforcement or judicial review. An intelligent and wise mayor (or other legislator) will refrain from getting involved in a law enforcement or judicial matter.

Once executive functions are completed (no longer detained by LE), your recourse is in the courtroom with the judge, either with an attorney (preferred) or by yourself.

2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Georgia passed a law trying to prevent speed traps, but it also has so many regulations that cops can't hardly use radar. the state DOT has to actually certify the location meets all the criteria to use radar.

Because of this stupid law virtually no street in a residential neighborhood can get certified. I have people blowing down my street at 40-45mph in a 25 zone everyday, and the PD can't do anything about it.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 213k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/19 10:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did I ever tell the story of the local NV police enforcing a school zone at 2am?
Not a soul on the road or in sight anywhere. Just pay and move on already.
Otherwise take your fight to the judge. We have all been there, done that.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 10:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Omg , haven't seen a thread grow legs like this in a while!
First gdetrailer, chill out! Wtf man? You're yelling about this, lol.
Second, yup there's speed traps in some places. Got one down the road.
Third........Mr. Tony, no tickets ever in your long and esteemed life til now?
WOW! That's either admirable or unbelievable, but hats off to you.
Don't take it so hard. Really, you can die saying you speeded....once. That's something to be proud of, actually.
Last, how many tickets has someone received at once? I'm good for 5 and didn't go to jail, but the prick, I mean officer, had my car towed. Best part is I wasn't doing anything wrong at the time. But heck, I had about 10 traffic tickets by the time I graduated high school.....
Cheers boys.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/19 11:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

If this is true then yep, you got unfairly targeted. Radar comes out it an ever expanding cone from the radar gun. So if two other cars raced past you at the time the gun was active then it recorded the faster speeds of the cars and the PO decided to pull you over. You can't really do much unless you have real proof to back up that the cars were the speeders.

Yep, you were the easy pickins', motorhome equals money.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 11:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you presumably have no points (ie: it was your first ticket ever)...just pay and move on.

Even if you fight it, they often still charge you court costs, which ironically are about the same as the price of the ticket. This is in addition to you taking time to travel back to be at the court.

Problem is the Cop not only has the radar output. He also gets the benefit of the doubt in a "he said, she said" situation as the court presumes he doesn't benefit...of course that ignores the fact that he has a quota (even if it's not official) and benefit by not getting in trouble for missing his quota (yes, they will word it to not be a quota but it amounts to the same thing).

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 04:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

2012Coleman wrote:

The action came after reports from 2014 that Waldo’s police department was writing speeding tickets based on quotas. The Waldo police later disclose they have ticket quotas
A 'quota' would just be a statistical percentage of drivers who are exceeding the limit by a certain amount. If the number of tickets written is significantly below that, then the likelihood is that the police are getting lazy.

It's difficult to believe that each officer is ordered to write X amount of tickets regardless of the speed.

Sorry for your difficulties - here is some information that may enlighten you

From one story: "WALDO - Five members of the Waldo Police Department told the City Council Tuesday night they were under a quota to write traffic tickets, which is a violation of Florida law.
The officers outlined a long line of grievances they had against police department command staff and city administration.
Before a packed room, Officer Brandon Roberts told commissioners they were required by Chief Mike Szabo to write 12 speeding citations per 12-hour shift or face punishment. Roberts explained his claims with the help of an electronic presentation and printed emails as evidence."

A quota is a specific number of something - in this case each officer had a quota of 12 tickets. Revenue from speeding tickets was the main source of money for the town coffers. That's 1 ticket per hour.

Yes - these are the towns on 301 and as stated, the police force was disbanded. I make the drive through here 5 - 6 times a year.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Deceptive traffic citations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS