cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rocks?

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
So what's with putting rocks in steel campfire rings? I've always found the **** things hard to light, and difficult to cook up to tenderness.

(Posted here because a similar message left in the "campfire" section was deleted by admins claiming rocks/campfires were an RV specific issue that did not belong in the "campfire" section.)
16 REPLIES 16

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
The parks I frequent sometimes have rocks around the ring put there by campers. But, that is because the rocks were in the camping area and they picked them up so they didn't twist a ankle on one stepping on it after dark.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I sometimes put rocks under the edge of ring to hold it up for air flow. Also sometimes use rocks to hold coals in a pile, get more heat with fewer coals.
IMHO, if there is a chance a rock is hot, better to leave it in the ring, less chance of harm...

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I figured it out..
Why do people put rocks in the fire ring?

Their brains are falling out. (Rocks for brains and they are falling out).

Just a serious thought.

If the rocks are big enough
Could they be laying a grill on top and cook pots on that? Kind of like a stacked down grill or my Tripod?
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
am1958 wrote:
irishtom29 wrote:
Some pre pottery cultures heated water by putting it in water tight baskets and then throwing in hot rocks.

It's a well known way of boiling water to sterilize it in a survival situation when you only have a plastic container. Put the water in the container and heat up stones and drop them in one at a time. The water cools them so they don't melt the plastic and they transfer the heat to the water. It doesn't take many to boil the water and you're safe.

Humm,,,, I'll have to add that tip to my box of supplies and instructions I keep around for when the Zombies attack.

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
irishtom29 wrote:
Some pre pottery cultures heated water by putting it in water tight baskets and then throwing in hot rocks.

It's a well known way of boiling water to sterilize it in a survival situation when you only have a plastic container. Put the water in the container and heat up stones and drop them in one at a time. The water cools them so they don't melt the plastic and they transfer the heat to the water. It doesn't take many to boil the water and you're safe.

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
I put rocks in campfire to heat them so I can place them at the foot of my bed to warm my toes

:B Back in the day... When I was in my early 20's. (About 35-40 years ago) We actually tried to heat some rocks and put them in the tent to keep it warmer. Didn't seem to work though. Might have had something to do with is thinking this plan up after alcohol was consumed.

tdiller
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
I put rocks in campfire to heat them so I can place them at the foot of my bed to warm my toes

I recall a scoutmaster who melted his sleeping bag doing that. He even wrapped the rock in a towel or two first and still melted his bag.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Like others said rocks are a vast improvement over garbage usually left behind.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Man, you really are old! ๐Ÿ˜› :B

S

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
1/34 Rocks let rain drain though, if you are constructing a fire ring. Soggy ashes aren't much good. Rain will also dissolve the ashes making lye and draining out assuming you use wood. And air circulating along the ground and up into the fire, make it hotter and burns most or all the wood, a natural draft. Keeping air flowing in under the fire will take some maintenance. At a campground a pair of nitrille gloves is just about a necessity to clean out cans and garbage,dg droppings, plastic everything and glass bottles and cigarette butts. left by the........... Nothing much worse than burning stinking garbage.
As far a large rocks maybe the fire ring is supported on them, a good idea but I haven't seen it.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a good reason for rocks in the ring.

Very tall ring with no air holes at the bottom. Need to raise the wood so it can get air to burn properly.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can think of one POSSIBLE reason. Those heavy steel and concret rings it's hard to let the fire 'Breath' (I use a forced air thing I had custom made)

Rocks may lift the logs to let air in at the bottom

But I also support the other response (To mess with maintenance)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times