Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Upholstery needs to be redone
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Upholstery needs to be redone

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/19 10:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My bonded leather couch has become un-bonded and looks a mess. It is a special design incorporating storage and is 11 feet long so replacing it with store-bought furniture isn't an option. When having a piece of furniture redone, do you use a standard re-upholstery shop? Do they have the skills to remove the piece from the trailer, or is that something I will have to do and transport. I'm looking to see what others have done as this has to be a popular problem.

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 02:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

not cost defective. just replace it.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

craig7h

Branson MO area

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 03:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think each shop is different as to the removal of the item. I would take pictures measurements etc. with you to the upholstery shop and see what they say. But yes a standard upholstery shop should be able to replace the fabric, just finding that shop could be a challenge.

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

blownstang01

Upstate NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 04:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where are you located? Here in Upstate NY we have a company called Capabilities. They hire and train people with disabilities. Anyway, one of the services they offer is an upholstery shop that does very good work at a cheap price. I believe they are government funded, so their pricing is very reasonable. I've had them do some work on a buddies boat and the craftsmanship was very nice...and it was cheap. Maybe your area has a similar facility. I have no idea if this is a national program or just local.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would probably vary on the shop if they could remove the sofa (have room for the RV). Any upholstery shop should be able to redo it.

They do sell RV sofas online that are larger size. I bought a LazyBoy RV sleeper sofa for a RV project I'm doing.

The big question is whether your old sofa is made as one unit and has to be taken apart to get it out the door. LazyBoy the back comes off the sofa to get it through the door.

If I didn't need a sleeper sofa I would have replaced with two comfortable recliners. I took out the uncomfortable jack-knife sofa and dinette and replaced with a LazyBoy sofa and recliner.

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We found the auto upholstery shop about 1/4 the price of a furniture shop and much more willing to work on our couch.

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I had the sofa in my Airstream reupholstered years ago, I just took it out and took the pieces to the shop. They would have to do the same thing anyway.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's nothing special about RV furniture that would preclude and shop from recovering it.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

willald

GA

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The sofa, recliner, and both captain's chairs in our Motorhome started peeling and looked awful after just a few years. Manufacturer used cheap material that didn't last worth a flip.

I opted to have all of them re-upholstered by an Auto upholstery shop. This was a fraction of what it would've cost to replace them, and we ended up with what seems like new furniture. They did an awesome job. I think the trick is in finding a good upholstery shop that knows what they are doing.

That was several years ago, and the new upholstery, material is holding up very well. Still looks and feels great.

Will and Cheryl
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
See it here

Roy&Lynne

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If NW means Northwest and your around Tacoma we have a local upholsterer who only does vehicles.

Our Road Less Traveled

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Upholstery needs to be redone
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS