Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fifth Wheel Hitch Heigth

skinnyme
Explorer
Explorer
New to Fifth Wheels.
What should be the approximate distance between the top of the truck bed and the top of the fifth wheel hitch.
I have 4". Will this be enough?
Thanks in advance.
10 REPLIES 10

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
I think what you are saying is that your top of hitch is 4"s below the bed rails. I would guess that most are 2-3 inches lower than rails. Do you have the FW, to hook it up, see if you need to raise hitch higher? The end result should have your FWs under side at least 6"s higher than bed rails. All FW pinboxes are not shaped the same, and can be raised lowered as needed. You'll have to hook er up, then decide best option for your set up.

Jerry

Reading is fundamental!!! You beat me to it!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
I had 5 inches with first truck pulled out of a parking area up a small incline turning left. I didn't see the damage until I stop for gas. Small dint in the top of box

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
agesilaus wrote:
Pin boxes can be adjusted, but they are heavy. Better have two guys to do the adjusting you and a buddy. Or better yet make the dealer do the adjusting, it has to be set before you hook up anyway. And don't let them stop until they have it just right.

While a pin box can easily be adjusted by single person using your tailgate and landing gear.
I would make the dealer do it, getting the nuts and bolts loose usually requires an impact wrench.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pin boxes can be adjusted, but they are heavy. Better have two guys to do the adjusting you and a buddy. Or better yet make the dealer do the adjusting, it has to be set before you hook up anyway. And don't let them stop until they have it just right.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

skinnyme
Explorer
Explorer
MFL - you've answered my question. Thank you. I did not know that pin boxes could be adjusted. My 5th wheel hitch is 17" max and my truck bed rails are 21". I'm not getting the trailer until November so I'll have to wait to get the trailer in order to figure things out.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
6โ€ between the truck bed rails and the underside of the 5er overhang is what is important. Thatโ€™s where possibly hitting may occur. Hitch height has to be adjusted to get that clearance but is not a standard height.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think what you are saying is that your top of hitch is 4"s below the bed rails. I would guess that most are 2-3 inches lower than rails. Do you have the FW, to hook it up, see if you need to raise hitch higher? The end result should have your FWs under side at least 6"s higher than bed rails. All FW pinboxes are not shaped the same, and can be raised lowered as needed. You'll have to hook er up, then decide best option for your set up.

Jerry

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is your trailer level? Four inches is really not enough, you may have to raise the hitch making it a bit nose high which is not ideal.

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
At 4" when you get in any rough or hilly ground there will be contact.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the truck rails: 6 inches is minimum; most want 8 inches. That is the critical measurement.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper