cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ST Tires ???

ilvtravln
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have LT tires on my fiver, thinking of going back to ST tires, does anyone have a brand they would recommend. Not to keen on Chinese tires. Size is ST 235 85 16.

Thanks
Art
83 REPLIES 83

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
9 pages of opinions and MANY off topic and flaming remarks that needed either editing or deleting. Time to close this one. It went longer than most tire threads! :W
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
If you're perfectly honest with yourself you have to realize that there are more issues with the Goodyear tires than with the Sailun. I rarely read any motorhome forums, but I have glanced at a couple that were talking about blowouts with their Goodyear tires.

And, while Goodyear had some definite issues several years ago, there are still occasional reports of 614 failures. OTOH I've read about 1 Sailun failure that I can recall.

Without knowing the number of Goodyear's sold vs the number of Sailun's sold, and comparative mileage of each, there's no way to accurately compare the reliability of each. However the number of complaints about problems with the Goodyear vs the Sailun weigh in favor of the Sailun.

Until you know how many of each are sold each year you have no idea the FACTS. I'm betting GY sells more.

I have never said GY is better or worse.

I have never said Sailun was a POS like some do about GY without having ever owned one. Or better yet some that have had ZERO issues with their OE GY "G" or "H" and went to Sailun simply for a better price not giving a **** if they are supporting a Communist Country.

Yep I have an iPhone made in China and if what they say is true my next one may be US Made.

CapriRacer states about as accurate info as possible on the ENDURANCE and it's not good enough for some.

I have stated I had ONE tire issue with GY over the MANY thousands of miles I have towed with several trailers, they took care of me. I support US Made where I can.

Not sure why you are bringing up MotorHomes??? We are talking trailer tires.

Since you did I use Michelins on my Tow Vehicles. Why not GY? I simply have not given them a try.

Sorry I am sticking with my I phone X . :B I would check the labels on your clothes , shoes etc.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Michelle.S wrote:
I might well be the one mentioned a few post back about a blown G-114, it was actually 4 1/2 years old with approx 40K miles on it. Were doing 65 on the Ohio Turnpike, all tires running within a couple of degrees of each other and also within a couple of pounds. Just suddenly "Boom" a pieces of rubber flying. Only took out the plastic fender skirt which I got replaced for free at the Rally we were headed to. Tire was sent to GY, who upon checking sent a check for a replacement. Mean time we installed all new Sailun H rated tires and new wheels.

Another happy ending with a GY tire. And YES the Sailun has issues also.

I am sure there are issues with the Sailuns, but have yet to read of one blowing out. I am victim to a road hazard it does happen , but the Sailun tire DID NOT explode like some of these Goodyears .

This post above by Michelle S is one of the Montana reports I read that I posted on here, that you told the forum here there were none on that forum, "nice" !!! That one is not the only one, there have been several on the Montana forum, as well as the ones we have read here .

Your insistence on Goodyear is fine, but these reports plus many others tell a different story. And another thing ,now its supposedly , Sailun is building two plants in the US.

I really don't care who the tire mfg is, if you use the RV like I do, which is occasionally, the sidewalls will weaken from siting in 1 spot too long. That tire will let go at some point if not replaced every 5 years OR SO.....

Sailun, GY, Michelin, If the trailer sits more that it rolls that's a problem
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have seen Sailuns from three different Countries: China, VietNam, and Thailand.
I had planned to replace my G-114 with the same come this spring, but the blow out moved that schedule up, and with the issues we had with the rims and the deal that was offered on the Sailuns with rims, just couldn't pass up the deal.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
cummins2014 wrote:
Me Again wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:

Thats the good part when one of those G614 blows out . Itโ€™s ugly what they do in damage.

Do you know another tire manufacturer that will pay for the trailer damage or ones insurance deductible?

To be honest I have always bought quality tires, and have never had an issue, where there was any damage done . But to answer your question ,no I do not. Nor do I care.

I have $50 deductible, tell me why I should buy a tire with the reputation of the G614 at nearly twice the price of a Sailun , so they will cover trailer damage .

I have never owned a 614, our Bighorn came OEM with Sailun 235/85R16G S637's. Our Laredo came with Goodride ST225/75R15D tires and I Swapped the Goodride's for Goodyear Endurance ST225/75R15E the first week.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Thatโ€™s fine you guys keep on supporting the Chinese.

Zero issues. Guess that ainโ€™t good enough for some.

MAXXIS aren't Chinese. and maybe in a 3 or 4 years when GY proves itself. I'll give them a shot.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're perfectly honest with yourself you have to realize that there are more issues with the Goodyear tires than with the Sailun. I rarely read any motorhome forums, but I have glanced at a couple that were talking about blowouts with their Goodyear tires.

And, while Goodyear had some definite issues several years ago, there are still occasional reports of 614 failures. OTOH I've read about 1 Sailun failure that I can recall.

Without knowing the number of Goodyear's sold vs the number of Sailun's sold, and comparative mileage of each, there's no way to accurately compare the reliability of each. However the number of complaints about problems with the Goodyear vs the Sailun weigh in favor of the Sailun.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Michelle.S wrote:
I might well be the one mentioned a few post back about a blown G-114, it was actually 4 1/2 years old with approx 40K miles on it. Were doing 65 on the Ohio Turnpike, all tires running within a couple of degrees of each other and also within a couple of pounds. Just suddenly "Boom" a pieces of rubber flying. Only took out the plastic fender skirt which I got replaced for free at the Rally we were headed to. Tire was sent to GY, who upon checking sent a check for a replacement. Mean time we installed all new Sailun H rated tires and new wheels.

Another happy ending with a GY tire. And YES the Sailun has issues also.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Me Again wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:

Thats the good part when one of those G614 blows out . Itโ€™s ugly what they do in damage.

Do you know another tire manufacturer that will pay for the trailer damage or ones insurance deductible?

No, because the higher cost is the "insurance policy" you're buying with the tire. Simple. Pay the higher cost as "insurance" on the chance that you'll 1) have a failure that causes damage and 2) GY chooses to cover the damage (always a cr@pshoot) OR buy a ~30% cheaper tire, that has a history of far fewer failures for =any= reason and bank the difference.

Lyle

X2. And when I was looking for tires 4 years ago the GY would have cost me close to double what the Sailun S637โ€™s did. Iโ€™m sorry, but thatโ€™s a lot of $ that could be used for something else and Iโ€™m already paying for insurance on my fiver. I have absolutely no regrets going with the Sailuns; they still look perfect and have performed flawlessly in all types of hot weather. I would recommend them to anyone and will definitely go with them again if I still own my fiver when itโ€™s due again.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
cummins2014: Yes it would have been on both the Montana and Redwood Forums.
Part of the reason for the switch: We had two Rim failures, I.E. pin hole in the casting, one which didn't show up for 3 years, so we had no faith in the wheels them selves. A new Distributor in Elkhart was offering an H rated 17.5 Sailun on a new rim, mounted, balanced, and delivered to the Campground for less than the cost of just a GY G-114 and with all the good reports I thought I'ld take a gamble.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Me Again wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:

No, because the higher cost is the "insurance policy" you're buying with the tire. Simple. Pay the higher cost as "insurance" on the chance that you'll 1) have a failure that causes damage and 2) GY chooses to cover the damage (always a cr@pshoot) OR buy a ~30% cheaper tire, that has a history of far fewer failures for =any= reason and bank the difference.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
back in 2012, I lost 2 614's on 1 trip from PA to Florida with ZERO damage...

1st was around Baltimore, ran over a piece of something.... I saw it, but couldn't get moved in time. I did not send to GY, t was my fault.

2nd was around 10:30 at night, wife heard something, I told her she was crazy.. we pulled into a Cracker Barrel, sure enough the passenger rear was still aired to 80# but had no tread... No damage to either, GY paid for that replacement in full..

NOBODY will warrant their tires like GY... NOBODY

I lost a tire this year to road hazard, it was not fun. But what gets me here about Goodyear is how giddy some are about this warranty. Who in the world cares about warranty sitting beside the road with possible damage ,plus the fact of it being dangerous if having to pull over. I have to assume if they paid for a replacement then it was a defective tire ?

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:

If it was on the Montana forum, then you might be the one ???

What was your reasoning switching to Sailun ??