cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

East Canada

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Well the family is insisting on a trip to the eastern side. I’m sure there will plenty of things to see but I’m wondering about crowds in NS, NB and Edward island. To
those that have been in that area in the summer, how is it? Will reservations be critical? I’m looking at a couple of apps but not seeing much, are there boondocking places available?
Thanks!
15 REPLIES 15

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
We packed our tent and camping stuff in boxes and flew to St John’s in Newfoundland a few years ago. Rented a car and drove all over. The extreme southeast was very interesting with fossil evidence of once being attached to Africa, a lighthouse and radio tower that was first to hear the Titanic’s SOS. Campsites were scarce but other accommodation was very friendly and not expensive. We headed north and west along shorelines which offered cool weather near the shore and warm weather away from it. Gros Morne Park with fabulous views, boat tours and hikes was spectacular. They call a motel a Convenience Unit. We stayed in several of those, tent camped a view times and took an apartment for several days.

Another year we flew to Montreal, rented a car and drove along the St Lawrence River, across New Brunswick, over to Nova Scotia where we got lucky and rented a house on the shore for 3 days. We made it as far as Cape Britain, tenting and moteling. Ferry to PEI for fabulous beaches, touring historic homes in Charlottetown. Finally the Confederation Bridge back to the mainland and Montreal. Total of 2 weeks.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
I would not attempt taking a large rv to meat cove. I have done the Cabot trail twice, and been to Meat Cove twice. There is a campground there, but generally it is smaller campers there. It can be done, BUT, I wouldn't advise it. We stayed at Arm of Gold campground in North Sydney the first year, and drove motorcycles around the trail. The second year, we drove our rv to Plage St. Pierre campground, near Chetticamp NS, and took the tow car. The first day we just drove around the entire Cabot trail counter clockwise. This is actually only about four hours of driving, but we stretched it out over the course of a whole day, seeing the entire east side fairly thoroughly, as we knew we would not get there the second day. The second day, we drove clockwise directly up to Meat Cove. We had lunch at the restaurant there, then headed to Cape Breton NP, to hike the 8 km Skyline Trail. This trail is very scenic. We also saw three moose. This day was about the same amount of driving, around four hours in total. We also stretched that out over an entire day between stopping at lookouts, Meatcove, and Cape Breton NP. You can travel to Chetticamp with a large rv. The large hills start right after Chetticamp. We took the interior Cabot Trail highway off the TransCanada to get there. Would highly recommend HWY 19 instead. It not near as narrow as the interior highway. I also recommend spreading the Cabot Trail over two days. It can be driven entirely in one day, but doesn't allow any time to stop and see much. Most of the major scenery is on the west and north sides of the island. This is why we did the whole circle the first day, then concentrated on the west, and north side the second day. If you don't do the entire loop, you will think you missed something important on the east side. There is some nice scenery on the east side, but not near as nice as the rest of the trip around the top end and west side. If you have any other specific questions I can help with, let me know. Cheers.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks mish. That was encouraging!
(cute kids too)

jensenst
Explorer
Explorer
We spent the whole month of August in PEI Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. We stayed in Fundy Bay NP 4 days Cavendish NP and Cape Breton NP . You need to go online in Jan to make reservations. These parks all have full hookups. Cape Breton we stayed in in Cheticamp campground. The provincial parks are also great places to camp.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Good vid(s). Short and succinct. Will have to review a few more when I get a min. Thanks.

The Cabot Trail is nice. Have done it a few times.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

mish1100
Explorer
Explorer
Nova Scotia was not crowded at all. THere's some amazing boondocking spots in new brunswick and tons in Nova Scotia. We only stayed at campgrounds when we wanted a shower while in Nova Scotia. We have a mini youtube series if you want to check it out as it shows a few of the boondocking spots we stayed at (pretty much any beach parking lot is good to go as long as you're respectful ex. not noisy, don't litter, etc...)

here's the link if you want to check it out. Meat Cove in NS is a must see!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLciVC3g50ymWS2p93KkIOJkKyOca7OBPM

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
There's history in these areas: maritime museum is worth taking out a few hours for in Halifax. Also note the shift from French to English as you leave Quebec and go into the Atlantic provinces- this is because of 400 years of history. Marconi and Bell are worth a Google search, both are national historic sites. Don't forget to get off the fast roads to enjoy the drive, but we're seeing more construction than wildlife as we drive through.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
winniman wrote:
I have been to the east coast four times. We have never made advance reservations, but if you are planning on staying in one place for several weeks, you might want to. As far as boondocking, there are some places, but they are few and far between. It depends on how big a rig you have. The iOverlander app shows some boondocking spots. We have a 38 ft rig with tow car, and many of the places listed on the app are for smaller rvs. We did stay at a few places listed in the app, as well as some Walmarts. Places like Peggys Cove have a very narrow road going to them, and little to no parking for rvs. I recommend a tow car for visiting places like Peggys Cove, Lunenburg, Halifax etc. Also the tow car is a must to go around The Cabot Trail in Cape Breton. Very scenic highway, but not recommended to take your rv around it. It has very steep hills. I myself really enjoy the high tides of the Bay of Fundy. That is what keeps me going back over and over. Hopewell Rocks, NB, are a must see, as well as try to catch the tidal bore at South Maitland, NS. You can also see it at Truro NS, but South Maitland is probably the best at the tidal bore interpretation centre. Burntcoat Head is the highest tides in the world. Digby Harbour, Halls Harbour are two in Nova Scotia that you can see the high tides changing. Alma in New Brunswick is a cute harbour, and is close to the Fundy NP. PEI has lots of beaches, as well as the Confederation Bridge. It is free to get on the island, but cost $45.50 for a car, and $8.75 per extra axle to cross the bridge. You can also take the ferry over for free, but it is more expensive than the bridge to return to the mainland.

We are going too thank you for your excellent info Winniman
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

jensenst
Explorer
Explorer
We just spent the all of Aug in the PEI ND NS and Quebec. You need to be on the Canadian Nat Parks website in January to make reservations. We stayed 4 days in Fundy Nat park. 4 days in Cape Breton national park in Cheticamp camp ground and 7 days in PEI cavendish nat park right on the beach. All of these parks had Full hookup sites. The sites are cheap with the dollar being so strong.

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it is Prince Edward Island. To cross is free, you pay coming back and the bridge is less that the ferry.

A) NB, NS, & PEI together are called "The Maritimes".

B) Those 3 plus NL - Newfoundland and Labrador - are called Atlantic Canada.

I lived in NL for 25 years. The Maritimes, now up to 16 years. Gros Morne National Park has Cabot Trail bested by many choices. Many ways to go. & going one way up Cabot Trail to northern Cape Breton Island is very good.

Add in the islands between NB and Maine Very much worth it.

Go to google: put in 'name of province & tourism'. Either send for tourist guide or call to tell them your special interests.

Have fun.

:B)
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Fundy National Park is beautiful-hopefully it's in better repair than than it was about 10 years ago. They have a number of campgrounds in the park-big rigs can fit at Headquarters CG. If you go there be sure to visit the bakery in the town of Alma, located at one of the park entrances. Go to Hopewell Rocks for formations but watch the tides. See the tidal bore in St. John or somewhere near there. There are also some amusement type parks in that area. On PEI head to Charlottetown, the capital. It's just a pretty place with shopping and dining. Head to the College of Piping in Summerside for a performance by the students or a guest performer. Nova Scotia has beautiful scenery and the Alexander Graham Bell museum in Baddock. How much time you have and what you like to do will help decide where to go.

I'm a planner so I always make reservations. I don't think the crowds there are any worse or better than most tourist areas. Keep in mind that Canada Day on July 1 is similar to our July 4th-locals come out of the woodwork to celebrate.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks y’all. That helps!

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
I have been to the east coast four times. We have never made advance reservations, but if you are planning on staying in one place for several weeks, you might want to. As far as boondocking, there are some places, but they are few and far between. It depends on how big a rig you have. The iOverlander app shows some boondocking spots. We have a 38 ft rig with tow car, and many of the places listed on the app are for smaller rvs. We did stay at a few places listed in the app, as well as some Walmarts. Places like Peggys Cove have a very narrow road going to them, and little to no parking for rvs. I recommend a tow car for visiting places like Peggys Cove, Lunenburg, Halifax etc. Also the tow car is a must to go around The Cabot Trail in Cape Breton. Very scenic highway, but not recommended to take your rv around it. It has very steep hills. I myself really enjoy the high tides of the Bay of Fundy. That is what keeps me going back over and over. Hopewell Rocks, NB, are a must see, as well as try to catch the tidal bore at South Maitland, NS. You can also see it at Truro NS, but South Maitland is probably the best at the tidal bore interpretation centre. Burntcoat Head is the highest tides in the world. Digby Harbour, Halls Harbour are two in Nova Scotia that you can see the high tides changing. Alma in New Brunswick is a cute harbour, and is close to the Fundy NP. PEI has lots of beaches, as well as the Confederation Bridge. It is free to get on the island, but cost $45.50 for a car, and $8.75 per extra axle to cross the bridge. You can also take the ferry over for free, but it is more expensive than the bridge to return to the mainland.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
If you're looking for a great base camp to tour Prince Edward Island from, check out Twin Shores Camping Area. One of the best full serve RV parks on PEI. Fantastic beaches. Reservations a must!
https://www.twinshores.com
2010 Suncruiser