Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Lowering TV tire pressures
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Lowering TV tire pressures

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Next
camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/19 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those of you with diesel HD trucks that lower their tire pressures when not towing, what do you set them to?

My Ram calls for 60psi front and 80 in the rear. As most know, this gives a pretty harsh ride. I finally found someone to reprogram my TPMS to lower the thresholds so I can now lower them more than 8psi before triggering the dreaded dash light.

I’ve currently set 55 front and 60 rear which is a much smoother ride but I’m wondering about the effects. Tire wear? Controllability?

I have 60k kms (42mi) on my Toyo’s and they are at about 50% wear and evenly worn. I can already feel that the traction in the wet is much better as it will be in snow too.

Will lowering the fronts cause steering issues? Since all the weight is up front with the diesel should I lower them at all? In theory, with all the weight up front and little in the rear I should be able to lower the rears to less than the fronts. Any problem with that?

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/19 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My older (2007.5) Ram 2500 has two pressures listed on the tire pressure placard in the door jamb. 60 Front and 80 rear for loaded, and 60 front 45 rear for unloaded. It also has a light load button that tells the TPMS to expect the 45lbs in the rear.
If the newer Ram's don't have it, it is a shame.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/19 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assuming stock or close to stock tire size for your truck, 60psi front/40psi rear is a good starting place.

I rarely take the rear tires over 40psi unless towing really heavy or heavy load in the bed.
Front, you can get down to 50psi easy and be within the load rating charts, but starts getting a little squishy.
Winter time, I run around 50/35 and have been gone a bit lower if really bad ice and need more traction, but not as a general rule.
Read a load rating chart for proof of concept.
Your truck is about 8000lbs round numbers and 5000 +/- on the front and 3000+/- on the rear, unloaded.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/19 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have them Toyos siped if you want even better traction in the wet and particularly the snow.

noteven

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/19 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Door placard psi in front.

35 - 40psi empty truck in rear.

Load inflation table psi in rear based on load, distance, and laziness...

joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/19 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my tires it states 80 lbs pressure. That is what I leave them at towing or not. However, if you want a softer ride I would follow the guidelines on your left vehicle door jam, but not any less.

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/19 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless there are two pressures (loaded and unloaded) listed on the door sticker on the truck, you should leave the tires at the stated pressure. The sidewall max pressure on the tire itself is just that - max pressure, not recommended inflation pressure. Follow the door sticker.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes, LR G tires
PullRite OE 18K, Demco Glide Ride pin box
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

bobsallyh

Livingston, TX.

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/19 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On our Ram 2003 dually, I run 80 psi all the way around towing. Then when not towing or staying a couple of weeks at the same location, they go down to 55 psi.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/19 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second Chance wrote:

Unless there are two pressures (loaded and unloaded) listed on the door sticker on the truck, you should leave the tires at the stated pressure. The sidewall max pressure on the tire itself is just that - max pressure, not recommended inflation pressure. Follow the door sticker.

Rob

Uhhh no.
I mean, you can, but why would you? Have you looked at the door sticker for your F250? Waht does it say and why would you run that high of pressure in the rear unless you like the "covered wagon" experience?

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/19 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lowering tire pressures when not towing? I don't change my tire pressures, 70 front, 65 rear. That's what the door label recommends and it's been working for me, truck rides real smooth when not towing.

* This post was edited 10/04/19 11:05am by azdryheat *

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Lowering TV tire pressures
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS