Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Toyota Highlander and 26' Trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Toyota Highlander and 26' Trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Campfire Time

Wisconsin

Senior Member

Joined: 07/20/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/04/19 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:


And he said, his trailer had tandem tires each side, so it's a lighter pull than single tire trailer because the weight is resting on the tires -- not the front of the trailer on the hitch.

It's seems logical and can't argue against since he said he is (was?) a Toyota mechanical engineer.


I'm not an engineer. And neither is he. This statement proves it. I'm also not stupid and he's blowing smoke. Tongue weight it tongue weight. Tandem axles on U.S. trailers don't reduce the tongue weight because of where they are located on the frame. They would if they were closer to the middle like European trailers. This is basic H.S. physics. Think "fulcrum" like a teeter totter.


Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71


drsteve

Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 06/09/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/04/19 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never heard of an OEM that says "This vehicle can tow 5000 lb. But really we mean 6000 lb."
Smoke is being blown...


2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/04/19 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bert Ackerman wrote:



Not everyone is a candyass busy body with a PHD in towing dynamics like some on these boards.


Quote of the month here!


"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

ppine

Northern Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/04/19 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a person with a lot of ego doing the talking.
The towing capacity is 5,000 pounds but for me it is 6,000 pounds.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/04/19 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Campfire Time wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:


And he said, his trailer had tandem tires each side, so it's a lighter pull than single tire trailer because the weight is resting on the tires -- not the front of the trailer on the hitch.

It's seems logical and can't argue against since he said he is (was?) a Toyota mechanical engineer.


I'm not an engineer. And neither is he. This statement proves it. I'm also not stupid and he's blowing smoke. Tongue weight it tongue weight. Tandem axles on U.S. trailers don't reduce the tongue weight because of where they are located on the frame. They would if they were closer to the middle like European trailers. This is basic H.S. physics. Think "fulcrum" like a teeter totter.


He might be blowing smoke and not a real engineer for all I care, but actually his numbers add up.

As to the tandem axel, I don't know. I'll leave it to those who have one to deny or confirm it. If their RV on flat ground stands by itself without a jack, he might be right -- but still I'm not sweating over it and irrelevant if he got the numbers are correct:

Again, he got a Highlander rated for 5,000 lbs and a trailer weighing 4,237 lbs (I'm guessing). I figure, with some weight management and traveling light, he is in the zone. And he and his family, as one said, made it to the campsite -- all alive and well from the looks of it.

My question to him was in fact was borne out of curiosity. I got a 4runner with 4L engine pulling a smaller trailer than him while he got a Highlander with 3.5L at most.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/04/19 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsteve wrote:

Never heard of an OEM that says "This vehicle can tow 5000 lb. But really we mean 6000 lb."
Smoke is being blown...


Me neither.

But I've been to Asia where I've seen how their puny little 35-75 horsepower engines are pulling the entire village with it.

And I bet, it's vines attaching the trailer to that Kubota, lol.

BenK

SF BayArea

Senior Member

Joined: 04/18/2002

View Profile



Posted: 10/04/19 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is derived from their mini van platform...just think of towing that with a beefed up Sienna


-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

Senior Member

Joined: 07/20/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/04/19 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:


He might be blowing smoke and not a real engineer for all I care, but actually his numbers add up.

As to the tandem axel, I don't know. I'll leave it to those who have one to deny or confirm it. If their RV on flat ground stands by itself without a jack, he might be right -- but still I'm not sweating over it and irrelevant if he got the numbers are correct:

Again, he got a Highlander rated for 5,000 lbs and a trailer weighing 4,237 lbs (I'm guessing). I figure, with some weight management and traveling light, he is in the zone. And he and his family, as one said, made it to the campsite -- all alive and well from the looks of it.

My question to him was in fact was borne out of curiosity. I got a 4runner with 4L engine pulling a smaller trailer than him while he got a Highlander with 3.5L at most.


Actually no, his numbers don't quite add up. The 4,237 lbs is probably either dry weight (which is a fictional number) or "as shipped weight). Either way that's not the actual "ready to camp weight" he is towing. And as you said you are just guessing, so most of this is moot.

Regarding the tandem axle, you already know the answer. Go back to your HS physics.

BTW, I never said he was unsafe or that it was some kind of miracle that he made it to the camp site. I'm sure he was set up safely.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 03/02/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/04/19 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sadly, there are no laws nor any required weighing of our RV's as there is for the commercial vehicles on the road. We are free to load up our RV's without any regard if we are over weight.


2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900


Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/04/19 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Campfire Time wrote:


Actually no, his numbers don't quite add up. The 4,237 lbs is probably either dry weight (which is a fictional number) or "as shipped weight). Either way that's not the actual "ready to camp weight" he is towing..


You could be his lawyer using this argument if something happens to his Highlander and his rig for believing this nameplate numbers.

I'll say the odds of winning the case is zero.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Toyota Highlander and 26' Trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS