Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Bad Dog = No Start and No shifting of Transmission
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Bad Dog = No Start and No shifting of Transmission

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Ozlander

Rose Hill, Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/19 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sometimes wires have stripes that are hard to see, but indicate a different wire than a wire with no stripe.
Recheck your wiring job.

Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

PaulJ2

Northwest Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/19 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rodents were chewing the wires. Dog went after the rodents, destroying the harness in the process. My take. Poor doggy blamed.
Depending on how easy it is to get to, i would replace the harness.

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rat or dog. Replace the harness either way. Hope it is just the tranny harness.

Cubanredneck

Miami, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/MXOjOY1l.jpg "border=0"" border="0" alt="[image]"> [image]Click For Full-Size Image.[/img]

Well it gets worse. Looks like the harness has been discontinued by Ford and searching the internet gives no results. Ford part # 5U9Z12A581AA Per ford its the engine and transmission harness together. Not even sure what to do at this point. Mechanic states splicing them may or may not work but he knows for sure if it does work there will be issues due to the change in wire resistance.

So disappointed. How can a coach that's only 12-13 years old have discontinued parts.

* This post was edited 10/07/19 02:05pm by Cubanredneck *

Danny & Ali
Daniella Grace & Abigail Hope
Storm the destructive American Bulldog
2007 Itasca Sunova 35J.
2011 Ford F150 4x4
2017 Honda CRV

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cubanredneck wrote:

Well it gets worse. Looks like the harness has been discontinued by Ford and searching the internet gives no results. Ford part # 5U9Z12A581AA Per ford its the engine and transmission harness together. Not even sure what to do at this point. Mechanic states splicing them may or may not work but he knows for sure if it does work there will be issues due to the change in wire resistance.

So disappointed. How can a coach that's only 12-13 years old have discontinued parts.

First off I would find another mechanic. No offense intended but apparently this mechanic does not know about electrical issues and he just doesn't want to do the job.
In any case, a properly spliced/soldered wire using the same gauge or larger has the exact same resistance, or less, than the existing wires. After all, you are just inserting a short splice, not replacing 100 feet of wire.
Soldering of wires is not rocket science and many mechanics versed in electronic issues can deal with it easily.
I have repaired electronic equipment since my days as an electronic technician in the Navy. Automotive wiring is a piece of cake.

oldave

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You repaired it good enough to get it down to the garage so why not go down
and recheck your repair .
Goofing up on the side of the road is not the end of the world .
I have had to eat crow before when i was 100% sure I was right .
So I think it is possible like others have stated that you have a couple
of wires wrong . You need a strong flash light and cleaner so you can be
sure of the wire color and stripe if they have stripes .

Another possibility is when the dog jerked on the harness maybe he pulled
something loose that you haven't spotted yet .
Follow the wires , maybe they are broken somewhere else too or unplugged
farther away from your splices .

Unless Ford used some resistance wiring which is possible I think the talk
about not being able to solder is bunk
I think that resistance wire will look different probably a single strand
and won't solder well or at all .

The garage doesn't want to get involved , actually I don't blame them
they are probably worried about transmission liability .

If those things don't help then you are left with RV salvage places .

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/19 04:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep in mind that repairing the wires does not guaranty that everything will be as good as new. When the wires were chewed and then power was applied, there is a good chance that one or more wires may have been touching each other. This may have damaged or corrupted the info in either the ECM(engine control module) or the TCM(transmission control module. These control modules can be checked at a Ford truck dealer to see if they are still good. If replacements are needed you can figure several hundred dollar each plus the labor to change them out.
I think it was mentioned about turning this in to your insurance company. I would make the call.

Cubanredneck

Miami, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/19 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all. I've reached out to my insurance company and I opened a claim yesterday afternoon. The adjuster should be coming out today or tomorrow. I trust the shop its at as the owner is a friend of mine for many years and has done multiple repairs on other vehicles as well. He can surely splice but felt that for long term it was best to replace the harness. I guess we will have to see what the insurance company says..... On another note how can ford discontinue a part for something that is only 12 years old?

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/19 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The wiring harness on your coach may have been a special harness to meet the needs of the coach manufacturer. In this case it does not make sense to continue to produce an item that was used in very small quantities to begin with. Ford makes their trucks in large quantities and I am sure that "standard" wiring harnesses are still available. Changing a wiring harness is not an easy job, especially since it was probably installed long before the coach was built around it. Even if a replacement was found I doubt if it would financial sense to change it instead of just repairing the existing damaged wires. Good luck with your insurance.

sundancer268

Charlevoix

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/19 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would check a Motor Home Salvage yard for the harness, there are many wrecked Ford chassis equipped Motor Homes being scrapped every day. I believe the law only requires the availability of parts for 10 years after the last use of the parts in a new vehicle. I ran into that problem looking for parts for several old cars I have had over the years and only the junk yards came to my rescue. Good luck and keep us informed on the outcome please.

U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain, Airforce One

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Bad Dog = No Start and No shifting of Transmission
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS