Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Reese Sway Control Bar
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Reese Sway Control Bar

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
atrerice

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Finishing up the first season with our TT and decided to get a friction sway control bar for our next trip. We have the Reese style hitch head with trunion style springbars. The hitch head already had the little sway control ball installed as well as on the TT. My question is about dialing in the amount of friction. How much friction should there be? Out of the box, it's tightened enough to where I can't slide the bar in or out at all. If I loosen the "On Off" lever, pull the bar out and tighten the lever back, if I put all my weight on it, it will barely slide back in. We towed the TT about 1,000 miles this year without much sway at all. Just wanted to add the swaybar for additional safety. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Loosen the friction sway bar so it slides easily by turning the crank handle. After installing on both little balls, tighten the handle crank as much as you can by hand. Give it an extra "umph" and that's good. The tighter it is, the better it helps control sway. But there is a point where too tight is too much, so never use a cheater bar to make it tighter. However, it is OK to use a cheater bar if you need to initially loosen it.

Once it slides easily, remove it from both little balls until needed the next trip. I used one for years and years. I had to replace it once with a new one as the old one finally froze in place and I ended up breaking the handle to when attempting to loosen it. That was after 10 years of use too.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Too tight will pop the ball off. Check online sites for proper use. YouTube or etrailer etc

* This post was edited 10/02/19 08:11pm by bgum *

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is your tongue weight percentage?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have the trunion style bars, add the dual cam kit to it.
Works far better than simple friction.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/19 04:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sounds like from your description you had it about right. Drive with it a while, if it seems like you need a little more, tighten the bolt on the back a little. If it seems to much, loosen the bolt on the back. Over tightening it will break the balls off.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/19 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

Loosen the friction sway bar so it slides easily by turning the crank handle. After installing on both little balls, tighten the handle crank as much as you can by hand. Give it an extra "umph" and that's good. The tighter it is, the better it helps control sway. But there is a point where too tight is too much, so never use a cheater bar to make it tighter. However, it is OK to use a cheater bar if you need to initially loosen it.

Once it slides easily, remove it from both little balls until needed the next trip. I used one for years and years. I had to replace it once with a new one as the old one finally froze in place and I ended up breaking the handle to when attempting to loosen it. That was after 10 years of use too.

This is totally incorrect and the reason that so many find fault with the friction bars. Read the directions.

atrerice

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/19 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys! The biggest thing I worry about is having it too tight and having it break the hitch head or the trailer tongue. The thing is with these things is there really isn't a whole lot of information out there about adjusting them. Watched a few YouTube videos but it sounds like it's more trial and error than anything else.

camperforlife

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had two on a 26' trailer for years. Tighten it down tight and back off until the handle is parallel to the bar. If you tighten it too much during a sharp turn you will either bend the bar or break the little ball off or both. For the first few times that you use a new friction grip sway control pull out the bar after use and clean off the friction residue with course steel wool. The residue can cause it to stick and damage the bar. Always take it off before you make a sharp turn backing up. Going forward it is highly unlikely that you will ever make a sharp enough turn to damage it.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/19 12:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camperforlife wrote:

I had two on a 26' trailer for years. Tighten it down tight and back off until the handle is parallel to the bar. If you tighten it too much during a sharp turn you will either bend the bar or break the little ball off or both.

The handle is NOT the adjustment, read the directions.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Reese Sway Control Bar
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS