Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Cleaning electronic circuitry?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Cleaning electronic circuitry?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A year ago my van was contaminated with some kind of super allergen. I'm not sure if it was ultra fine fiberglass or what. But it had me using a month's worth of allergy meds each night that I spent in the van.

I cleaned the van itself out thoroughly, but I have a bunch of items that were in the van that I haven't cleaned.

And the ones that I don't know how to clean are the electronic items with internal fans. I can't have those fans blowing allergens all around my van. Inverters, giant battery charger, etcetera.

If I open up their cases, is it ok to wipe everything down with a damp paper towel? Will I destroy stuff?

If water is unacceptable, is there something else I can do so that the contaminants will stick to the paper towel? I don't want to just dry dust them, because then the stuff will go up in the air.

Would one of those high-powered vacuums you put quarters in at the gas station be a better choice?

Of course these are the things that are more expensive than I want to spend to replace :-).

Thanks very much folks, as always!

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Canned air blasted with strong vacuum running near the object. Water is last resort. Alcohol would be preferable to water.

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use the 97% alcohol rather than the common rubbing alcohol which contains lots of water. The 97% drys better, and leaves no residue. And is harmless to most electronics, but do watch out for printed id or instructions, as the 97% will wipe most of them.

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and a grouchy, old, tiny dog

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also, use a common home vacuum that has a good filter, and a small brush to loosen stuff and in corners. Most have plenty of suction for what you need, especially if you loosen everything with the brush.

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sorry, duplicate post...

Howy

FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They make cheap small vacuums for computers and such with small brush. If you want a liquid they make an electric spray contact cleaner. I think that would just make the stuff stick to the board. Brtter of sucking it up IMOP.

Howy

FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They make cheap small vacuums for computers and such with small brush. If you want a liquid they make an electric spray contact cleaner. I think that would just make the stuff stick to the board. Brtter of sucking it up IMOP.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

air compressor and vacuum dampen cloth with alcohol.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agreed water is a last resort, but I have used it in the past. Some key points if you go the water route.
  • Use distilled water, it is non conductive. Well it's non conductive right up to the point you mix it with a bunch of dust and dirt that is.
  • Make sure the rag is just damp, you don't want water to wring out of the rag and drip down into electronics.
  • Only wipe the outside and inside surfaces of the case.
  • Do not wipe off the circuit boards.
  • Do not use a standard vacuum and brush as they are not safe from component killing electrostatic discharge.
  • Use compressed air to blow off the circuit boards.
  • Do not use the compressed air to free spin the cooling fans no matter how tempting it is. You can destroy the bearings and in a worst case the fan can disintegrate.
  • Open a front window and put a box fan in the open back door while cleaning. The idea is to keep the allergens moving and out the back door.

Next you need to figure out where this all cam from so you can prevent it in the future.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Chris Bryant

Arden, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An aside- a fairly famous video of a master technician cleaning a very dirty synthesizer-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwRlZyIG6rg

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Cleaning electronic circuitry?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS