cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

To Buy or build

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
As conversations get serious about our plans to full time in the next 2 years DW and I have entered into a heated debate. Let me preface by saying this all started a week ago when we visited some friends who have built out a custom sprinter. Let me also say it was a phenomenal job but he's a custom cabinet maker by trade. It took him 2 years. That said his B has no bathroom, heat, AC, and a cartridge toilet, hardly what I am looking for in terms of a full time rig.

In any event, we are starting to think about the right RV for full timing. Let's ignore the DP vs Gas thing, DW is on a kick that we should buy a bus shell and build it out. I, however, and not sure that avenue makes sense. Her biggest complaint is not being green. Production RV's are full of VOC's, glues, stains, paints and a recycled bus is greener. I am not really arguing that but I am more concerned with reliability and a nice place to live on the road and my abilities to make it happen. I feel like a used RV a few years old has outgassed most of the VOC's and I can replace/modify finishes for greener products.

We already have a lot of constraints that inhibit this project. Our HOA wouldn't allow me to work on it in my driveway, I have skills, but I really think I lack the skills for a total build out (plumbing, tanks, electrical, framing, cabinets, etc) so I would be asking friends (states away) for help. I also have a full time job so it's not like I can work on it constantly. Add to all that, I don't think you are ahead of game really in terms of cost. I just see this being a thing that sits in a storage yard for 2 years unfinished. Suffice it to say, I am more about a production RV (used) with a concession on some mods.

Ok, sorry for the long winded walk around the barn, but am I missing something in terms of a DIY custom build vs a production MH? I feel like a DIY is more of a thing about passion and less about cost effective and reliability.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
33 REPLIES 33

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Being โ€œGreenโ€ in a Prius maybe but not going to happen in a MH at 7mpg regardless of which engine emission standards. 2 years to maybe get halfway done on a conversion or 2 years enjoying a older MH (gasses already vented) that you can customize as you find things you do not like. On second thought...new wife will be easier but not cheaper.

This X 2.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another consideration in doing a conversion yourself is some parks will not allow home built units... only RVIA certified units. One place we frequent has that rule/restriction and unfortunately has had to turn away people that showed up and had not read the rules.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I think the best choice is to buy a used coach and use it for a year BEFORE you go full time. That way if there is anything you want to change/repair in the coach, you will have the time, tools, and the space to make the changes/repairs before you get rid of everything and go full time.

This is an excellent point. I told DW we need to have something in a minimum of 6 mos prior to shake it down and make changes.

I think you've made the best choice. Changing a few things (to an existing RV that is substantially what you want) like paint, carpet, counter tops, cabinets, refrigerators, HVAC, etc. is childs play compared to starting from scratch. IMO, five years down the road, if you decide that the RV lifestyle is for you, . . . . . . that's the time to grow into some serious modifications to an existing unit, or possibly designing/building your own.

Chum lee

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO your roles should have been reversed .
You should have been the one saying I'll build us an RV .
She should have said your crazy and telling you no way.
Of she would win and save the day.

A few people can pull this off but probably 90% + never get
finished by the person that started the conversion .
The few conversions I've seen look like a home made RV
and have noticeable design or arrangement flaws

We would probably end up killing each other .

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I think the best choice is to buy a used coach and use it for a year BEFORE you go full time. That way if there is anything you want to change/repair in the coach, you will have the time, tools, and the space to make the changes/repairs before you get rid of everything and go full time.

This is an excellent point. I told DW we need to have something in a minimum of 6 mos prior to shake it down and make changes.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have the skills to build so that wouldn't be a choice for me. I think the country is full of nice used motor homes of all years, sizes and conditions so I would do that but if building could be mainly for the fun and sense of accomplishment I get that.
Jayco-noslide

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
I have all the skills to build one, and the time, I suppose, since weโ€™re retired. But I wouldnโ€™t consider it. I have built vehicles before. Itโ€™s a labor of love, but itโ€™s not โ€œgreenโ€ nor is it cost efficient vs. purchasing someone elseโ€™s project.

If you donโ€™t want a newer, factory built rig then thereโ€™s plenty of project rigs out there that have been completed (?) and used and the owners are ready to move on to something else.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
dieselbobcat wrote:
way2roll wrote:
As conversations get serious about our plans to full time in the next 2 years DW and I have entered into a heated debate. Let me preface by saying this all started a week ago when we visited some friends who have built out a custom sprinter. Let me also say it was a phenomenal job but he's a custom cabinet maker by trade. It took him 2 years. That said his B has no bathroom, heat, AC, and a cartridge toilet, hardly what I am looking for in terms of a full time rig.

Sure sounds like a friend of mine... This wouldnt be the Darkstar Sprinter-fella would it?

No. Old friend of mine back in MD. I doubt he's on any forum.

dieselbobcat
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:

Sure sounds like a friend of mine... This wouldnt be the Darkstar Sprinter-fella would it?
2014 Rockwood Ultralight 8312SS Diamond Edition
2016 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab Lariat Ultimate 4X4 6.2L

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thanks for all the responses. Confirms what I already suspected. I made pros and cons list of a build over a buy and it was VERY heavily weighted in the buy side. We will have so much to do already in prepping for full time life, why add to the stress and potentially not be happy with the product, not finish it, and not actually green-er when considering all the factors? If I really want to make it green, a used RV and customized to our likings is a much more achievable task and essentially accomplishes the same thing only with the infrastructure already in place and a far better platform.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
As a design professional and a contractor myself, I have been involved with hundreds of projects. I assume this will be your first one. Think about it. Most experienced RV manufacturers have built thousands of MH's all of different sizes, types, and designs. They make mistakes (as you will) and their current designs reflect that. You don't have their experience, you get only one chance to get it right. Do you feel lucky? Because if/when you aren't, you will pay for it in time, money, aggravation, etc.

I don't mean to discourage you, just the opposite. Just make sure you are clear on what you are getting into before you commit. If you end up with a half finished project when your energy runs out, expect to be compensated as though it is a TOTAL LOSS. It's a lot more than cabinetry!

Good luck with what you decide.

Chum lee

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
Cost wise, you are much better buying an older RV than doing a conversion. Green wise, an existing RV already has that stuff done so you do not have to waste resources building up a conversion. If she does not want all that glitz, get an older RV.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to start full timing in two years donโ€™t try to build an RV. It wonโ€™t be ready.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad