Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Frame and tie down damage from unmarked speedbump.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Frame and tie down damage from unmarked speedbump.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/19 06:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

by the looks of your picture that crack was there for a long time and the speed bump just opened it up. so realy any investagator who looked at that would say it was pfrevious damage so the ity wouldnt do any thing. unless you took this picture over 6 months after the incident....

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/19 06:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Party has a good point.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/19 06:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking closely at the picture, I don't see a speed bump. I see a road patch that is somewhat level with the rest of the roadway. Have you contacted the city to ask if it is indeed a speed bump?

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/19 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at your picture I see exactly what you describe, an asphalt speed bump a few inches higher than the surrounding pavement. Have seen them before. And unmarked they do blend into that pavement. And yes, they are typically clearly marked. I am curious what the diamond shape warning sign about 3 car lengths before the speed bump says though.

Not likely you will get anything at all from the city.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/19 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would have looked like a flat patch to me too.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/19 10:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree on it just looking like a repaired section. I probably wouldn't have slowed down either.

With that said, it looks like your damage has been existing for a while with the rust around the break.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 12:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You've probably HadEnough of those speed bumps, eh?
Bummer dude, but if this happened recently, it didn't break the frame. Too rusty.

Good luck with the City. You'd be better off spending any $ you would spend on taking the City to court on fixing your truck. At least you won't throw away money on 2 financial commitments.

Still wonderin how you didn't see the cars infront of you hit it, if it's that big.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 04:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

You guys really don’t get it do you?

You do not drive slower than the speed of traffic or you’re going to get shot.

So enough giving me a hard time please.

Comparison to you for your troubles, my fellow camper.

Just like in my previous profession, LEO, if a shooting incident happened, or an auto crash happened, during the investigation of the event, the events leading up to that incident are broken down into 'microseconds'. Just imagine a 'frozen' picture in time to analyze every second of everyone's actions leading up to the event.

In retrospect, in my experience, 95% of all incidents, if analyzed as I have stated above have a 'preventable' element to them. If those involved had done one thing different, the incident would have a different outcome or perhaps,not happened at all.

You seem to imply that you feel the speed bump caused your problems with the damaged frame and truck camper. None of us were there, accept you, but any investigator can break down this incident into 'microseconds of events' and determined that it would have been preventable had you done one thing different.

You say above that you would have been shot had you not driven the speed of everyone around you. I do not believe that everyone in Jersey city has the 'get out of my way or I will shoot you' mentality. You Sir, have control of your own immediate destinanty. I believe you allowed the other drivers to push you into a driving at a speed that was not safe for that particular section of highway. You have the choice to drive at the speed you want, whether that be above the posted speed or at the posted speed. You Sir, have the choice to drive at a reasonable distance behind the vehicle in front of you so that you may observe what is happening to that vehicle and to maintain control of your vehicle at all times to prevent damage to yourself or others.

I am NOT trying to give you a hard time, for I believe you have had enough trouble from this incident. I only ask you to ask yourself, "If I had done this thing different or that thing different, may I have been able to prevent this incident from happening in the first place?"

You have control of what happens in your own immediate 'space'. Driving defensively and driving at responsible and legal speeds is your choice. A choice you have control of regardless of the pressure you make yourself feel from other drivers around you. Keep in mind, those other drives will NOT be paying your repair bills in this case. You will. Other drivers around you will not feel the stress of a damaged vehicle. You will. I doubt you will be shot for following posted speed limits and for driving defensively.

My opinion only. Worth exactly what you paid for it. No intention on my part to be mean to you or cause you harm. My only intent is to give you another viewpoint on why it is so important to drive for 'yourself', not others.

Safe travels,

Lakeside

Halmfamily

Munford, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 05:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let your insurance company handle it. If they feel there is a responsible chance they will get reimbursed by the city they will go after them for the amount of repairs they paid for your vehicle.

2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 05:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So much is wrong with your assertion. There is no way you should havee been going so fast as to have that damage happen. I guess if those other drivers had been going 80 on that road then that would have been acceptable to you. You are responsible. Like another poster said, you didn't notice the cars in front of you launch into orbit? No sympathy from me on this.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Frame and tie down damage from unmarked speedbump.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS