cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch sliding while unloaded

Fnp5150
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know of a lock or other solution to prevent my hitch from sliding forward and banging when I hit the brakes unloaded? When I hit my brakes slightly harder than normal my hitch slides forward and makes a loud thump, which I'm sure isn't good for it. It's a Pullrite Superslide.
8 REPLIES 8

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Fisher Bill wrote:
Shouldn't your trailer brakes keep the unit from lurching forward?

As stated in the original post, it happens when unloaded.

The solution is to adjust the threaded stop nut. This is what it is there for.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Shouldn't your trailer brakes keep the unit from lurching forward?
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Also have the same hitch. When unloaded I have a short bungee that wraps from the handle down to the hitch rail on the bed. Have been doing this happily for 5yrs. Great hitch!!
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

BeeTee
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same hitch and the same problem with the rotating capture plate banging around. I just rotate it as far as it will go and then use a bungee cord between the release arm and a point on the hitch base to keep it from rotating. Works just fine.

nazpaz
Explorer
Explorer
If you get it good and snug you will have the additional benefit of a smoother stop when pulling the 5ver.
-G.R. "Scott" Cundiff
Our Here and There Blog
2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ
--
We've visited them all (but not always with the RV)

Fnp5150
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much

southernsky wrote:
Adjust the bolt on the front of the hitch some. Read your owners manual it tells you about it

X2 -

Way back when I didn't have RV.Net to go to I had a horrible banging when stopping and starting...I even took my truck to the dealer and told them something is broke ! :S

When they told me it was my hitch, I was just a bit embarrassed.. but I tightened it up a bit and all was good..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
Adjust the bolt on the front of the hitch some. Read your owners manual it tells you about it
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport