cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackstone Griddle

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Don’t know if this has been brought up before but has anyone used a Blackstone griddle while camping. My son has one at home and he raves about it, making breakfast, lunch and dinner on it. Uses propane to run it and they even have a table top model that they advertise for camping. Read a lot of good reviews but none from campers. Just curious if anyone has experience with one, good or bad. Thanks for any replies.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience
32 REPLIES 32

ghooos
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 17" for the trailer. I have the Walmart (only) 22" with griddle, metal cover and stand ($147) for home. Love them both. If I knew what I do now I would have bought the 22" for the trailer and the 36" for home. I could get rid of my BBQ and never miss it. We cook chinese, fajitas, burgers, steaks, pizza on a stone, complete breakfast etc.

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
I use the 17" Blackstone all the time when we take out the 5th wheel. My son however didn't want one for his new trailer. Says it's just one more heavy thing to store and lug around. He bought a cast iron griddle for his Weber Q220 and it does everything the Blackstone does. It's a good alternative.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
04fxsts wrote:
Lantley wrote:
THe camp Chef looks like a decent item. More versatile then the Blackstone.
However the blackstone Griddle is cast iron which makes allows for more heat retention and creates a better cooking surface.

Sorry but the Blackstone is steel, I have the 28" and the 17" griddles. At 3/16" thick the steel holds the heat well also. Jim.

After doing a little research I stand corrected they are steel
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

04fxsts
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
However the blackstone Griddle is cast iron which makes allows for more heat retention and creates a better cooking surface.

Sorry but the Blackstone is steel, I have the 28" and the 17" griddles. At 3/16" thick the steel holds the heat well also. Jim.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Correct Trax,Splendide

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
Very interested in this discussion because wanting to get a gas griddle. My question centers between the Blackstone and Camp Chef tailgate combo, anyone have recommendations? Also looked at the 22 inch griddle. Not sure how often you need the grill and griddle at the same time on the combo. Would the 22 inch be better and get grill and griddle to switch back and forth?
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
cliffy49 wrote:
Lantley wrote:
cliffy49 wrote:
I dont own any type of griddle but my thinking is why not just purchase one of the stand alone griddle plates and use your camping stove with it. Seems as if it would cut down on the need for a multitude of differant types of cookware and the Coleman camp stove can be converted to run off of your trailer propane.

Just my opinion, take it for what it is worth.

In theory what your thinking is a viable solution.
Where the Blackstone shines is it's ability to hold the heat and it ease of cleaning.
If we ignore the cleaning factor The Blackstone cooks very well be cause it is a dedicated device designed to solely be a griddle.
I agree the Blackstone is not as versatile it is designed to do one thing! It performs as a griddle very well.
Much better than any multi purpose grill.
Yes it becomes one more thing to bring along ...LOL..

I would think that the Lodge stand alone griddle or one similiar would hold the heat just as well. Also, using the stove one has the ability to adjust the heat from the burners as needed.

Blackstone phenomenon is for real.
They have built a great niche item. Their popularity and category dominance speak for itself. They did not introduce or create the Griddle they just revolutionized it.
They have evolved the griddle and the form factor that many have ditched their grills totally and replaced them with a Blackstone. Or they ave added a Blackstone to heir arsenal.
Lodge products have been around for decades but they have not created the griddle craze and demand that the Blackstone griddles have created
This thread and Blackstone sales speak for themselves.
Like many others I went out and got a Blackstone.
We did not get a Lodge griddle because they simply do not deliver the same result.
Universal products seldom match the performance singular purpose items
Correct Trax,Splendide

cliffy49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
cliffy49 wrote:
I dont own any type of griddle but my thinking is why not just purchase one of the stand alone griddle plates and use your camping stove with it. Seems as if it would cut down on the need for a multitude of differant types of cookware and the Coleman camp stove can be converted to run off of your trailer propane.

Where the Blackstone shines is it's ability to hold the heat and it ease of cleaning.
If we ignore the cleaning factor The Blackstone cooks very well be cause it is a dedicated device designed to solely be a griddle.
I agree the Blackstone is not as versatile it is designed to do one thing! It performs as a griddle very well.

I would think that the Lodge stand alone griddle or one similiar would hold the heat just as well. Also, using the stove one has the ability to adjust the heat from the burners as needed.
cliffy49
2016 F150 Ecoboost & max tow (Gone)
2021 Silverado Custom 2500HD
2018 Catalina TH26 Toy hauler

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
cliffy49 wrote:

Correct Trax,Splendide

cliffy49
Explorer II
Explorer II

cliffy49
2016 F150 Ecoboost & max tow (Gone)
2021 Silverado Custom 2500HD
2018 Catalina TH26 Toy hauler

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
Bears Den wrote:
Don’t know if this has been brought up before but has anyone used a Blackstone griddle while camping. My son has one at home and he raves about it, making breakfast, lunch and dinner on it. Uses propane to run it and they even have a table top model that they advertise for camping. Read a lot of good reviews but none from campers. Just curious if anyone has experience with one, good or bad. Thanks for any replies.

I own a couple Blackstone Griddles.
I have a 36" model on my patio. It's fantastic.
I also have a 17" Blackstone Griddle that I use camping.
Ease of cleaning is a big thing.
There have been a couple of times I have cooked on the stove in our camper, the rest of the time I cook, grill, BBQ, under a cooking fly outside our camper. My only Blackstone complaint is that I have not converted my 17" to run off of a tank. My fault.
I'm no fan of canisters.

jimbow2
Explorer
Explorer
Truck camper here... Weber smoky Joe user that just been using the 17" last several months... finding it very useful and handy... Main reason for changing is we are not happy with propane grilling, prefer charcoal, so when forest fire restrictions are on charcoal not useable..... amazed with its utility and the good meals it has produced... gave a 17" to our son for there rodeo travels with family..... Maybe give more for Christmas presents....
jimbow

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
yes i take mine camping each and everytime we go it works wonders
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

weedrancher
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using a 17" Blackstone for a couple years. I take it in the TC sometimes but it is heavy and it takes up a lot of real estate. There's a lot of things that you can do on the griddle but it can't take the place of a grill.
2002 Dodge Cummins 4X4,2004 Lance 920,, Airlift suspension, Roadmaster anti-sway bar, TorkLift tie downs, Fastguns, StableLoads

I'm not on Facebook or Twitter. This is as social as I get.