cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time Eternabond user observations

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
Wow is this stuff sticky! Once it touches anything it is stuck for good. When doing a long seam make sure you get the tape started straight. When pulling off the backing to expose the adhesive make sure to pull it off straight. I tried pulling it off at an angle and the backing tore at a 45 degree angle so now I had a piece that only half stuck. That was not fun trying to fix. Prepped the area with acetone and that worked well. Using a razor blade to cut the tape works best. Rolled with a plastic wall paper roller and that worked good. I know some people here like to follow up with a dab of Doctor at the edges but I see no reason to.
11 REPLIES 11

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Eternabond is meant to make a long term seal with no maintenance required. Adding Dicor to the edge IMHO adds another maintenance item. Simply a waste or time.

Sez you. I've been living in the SouthWest for several years, and the sun can make short work of Eternabond. I reapply the tape every 5 years as the tape surface starts degrading and the tape edges start buckling.

I use EternaCaulk along both tape edges. Hasn't failed yet.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Eternabond is meant to make a long term seal with no maintenance required. Adding Dicor to the edge IMHO adds another maintenance item. Simply a waste or time.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I like to put Dicor on the edge, it seems the adhesive on the edge attracts dust/dirt and looks bad if you don't.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
MURPHY55347 wrote:
Wow is this stuff sticky! Once it touches anything it is stuck for good. When doing a long seam make sure you get the tape started straight. When pulling off the backing to expose the adhesive make sure to pull it off straight. I tried pulling it off at an angle and the backing tore at a 45 degree angle so now I had a piece that only half stuck. That was not fun trying to fix. Prepped the area with acetone and that worked well. Using a razor blade to cut the tape works best. Rolled with a plastic wall paper roller and that worked good. I know some people here like to follow up with a dab of Doctor at the edges but I see no reason to.

Putting it in the freezer before use makes it more manageable.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been using Eternabond tape for over 20 years on several motorhomes. I love the stuff. Once it's on, it's on for good and no more seam worries.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I cut shorter more manageable length pieces and overlap the ends.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I Eternabond taped all seams on our roof several years ago and still holding strong.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You can also clean the surface with EternaClean, Lacquer Thinner,Denatured Alcohol, etc.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
Oops. Must be spellchecker at work. Yes I meant Dicor.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
MURPHY55347 wrote:
I know some people here like to follow up with a dab of Doctor at the edges but I see no reason to.

I like to use Dicor but, I guess Doctor will work just as well. :B
It's not necessary but, I think it helps seal the edge of the eternabond. I usually go for the overkill.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
MURPHY55347 wrote:
Wow is this stuff sticky! Once it touches anything it is stuck for good.

Yup. Why it is named "Eternabond" after all 🙂

glad you like it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times