Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What Size RV is Right for Full-Timing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> What Size RV is Right for Full-Timing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
WanderingWebsters

Miississippi

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/19 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just sold our 33' travel trailer and are looking to buy a Fifth Wheel which we will start full-timing in at the end of this year.  We would like something with the roominess of a 40' or longer but we are seeing many people who are full-timing are downsizing to smaller RVs because of the problems and "scary situations" some of the bigger ones encounter.  We are looking for any and all comments/opinions anyone may have on this subject.

We are currently looking at a Jayco 38' RV which seems like a modest "in-between" length.  Again any and all opinions are welcome as we are stuck right now.
One more thing if it matters we are pulling with a 1 ton diesel dually.

Happy Camping to all.....

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/19 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 33' with a GOOD floor plan works for me.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/19 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What size is the right size house? Or what car is best?

These things are personal questions and no one can answer it for you.

We have fulltimed for 4+ years, moving every 1-3 weeks (with an 8-night average) in > 40' rigs. First one was 42' and now we're in a 44' toy hauler.

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

WanderingWebsters

Miississippi

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/19 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks for the answers folks. I guess the real issue i am gathering is the parking side not the driving side and how many places are really available for the larger campers vs the smaller campers. the floor plans and designs are definitely a matter of opinion so the real question is in the length of the camper and is there any real problems parking the longer rigs and and having availability at the campgrounds?
thanks again

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/19 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WanderingWebsters wrote:

thanks for the answers folks. I guess the real issue i am gathering is the parking side not the driving side and how many places are really available for the larger campers vs the smaller campers. the floor plans and designs are definitely a matter of opinion so the real question is in the length of the camper and is there any real problems parking the longer rigs and and having availability at the campgrounds?
thanks again

I've been traveling extensively for over 7 years with a > 40' rig. I've never found a destination that I couldn't go to. I have always been able to find a RV park or campground that we can fit into.

topjimmy

Washington Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/19 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

was fulltiming with my wife and 2 cats and a dog for 8 years and in my opinion get the biggest one you can afford and your truck can haul,we started out in a 34 fter and that was too cramped for us and quickly went with the big boys, I have never had a problem either of finding a rv spot to fit in some are tighter than others but we have always been fine BUT after 8 years on the road we had enough of living in 420 sq feet and we finally settled down and bought a house but it was a great run[emoticon]

2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2004 2500HD GMC Short Bed, LB7 Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/19 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out the Grand Design 337RLS

35.5 feel long, rear living, opposing slides, washer dryer hookup, east/west full size queen bed, huge windows, TV directly across from recliners, lots of storage, and best of all, warranty is still valid if you use it for full time living - other manufacturers invalidate the warranty if your living in it.

We have the 2018 303RLS and thoroughly enjoy it. Have received excellent after warranty customer service from the factory. You can easily pull this with a 1 ton SRW TV - recommend diesel.

Good luck

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Lwiddis

Veterans’ Park, Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/19 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How often will you be moving? Forty feet is a lot of RV to move regularly and many state and federal campgrounds have length limits below that number.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/19 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've had a 41 foot fifth wheel for exactly a year now after a lifetime of travel trailer experience only. A couple week-ends ago I actually got this behemoth backed into a campsite that would have been a challenge for the "the best of them." I had it between the electric pole on one side, a tree on the other, and small branches actually touching the air conditioners and roof. The king pin was about 6 inches from the road, I blocked all campground traffic getting into the site, and there was a tree line about 4 feet out, on the other side of the campground road. But I got this puppy in! Then the slope of the campsite required a considerable amount of lumber under the jacks and the front landing gear was completely to the ground. By far, one of the most challenging sites I've done so far. And my wife said I handled it beautifully. I never lost my calm (or at least appeared not to) at all. "Inside" I was quivering with shear fright at this campsite! But I did it!

If I did it ... YOU CAN TOO! Get the biggest one you can afford. A little practice and you'll be able to park that puppy anywhere.

FYI .. absolutely NO problems driving on the road. It's not an issue, except for height. I do have to watch for low overpasses and sometimes take an alternate route. Other than that ... well ... my travel trailers probably wouldn't have made those overpasses either.

Good luck! Go for BIG! You'll appreciate the space. You are in the camper a LOT more sitting than when driving!

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/19 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 38foot 5th wheel and in the 25 years we've traveled with it have never had a problem finding a spot to park. There are usually private RV parks outside of a national park that accommodates larger RVs. Drive into the national park to see the sights each day; come back to a RV park with full amenities at the end of the day. Pools, hot tubs, full hookups...etc.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> What Size RV is Right for Full-Timing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS