Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Grand Canyon 2020
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/19 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a slave to my son's school schedule for the next few years. Thanksgiving break is 11/22-12/1 and Spring Break is 3/6-3/15. Either of these dates would limit me to no North Rim camping, but would I be looking at the potential for the same "summer" crowds during those time periods?

For November, would the full park be open for all activities weather permitting? If Nov is a real possibility, then maybe I could get my PNW fix on for the summer.

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Busskipper

Arnold,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patperry2766 wrote:

I'm a slave to my son's school schedule for the next few years.

Thanksgiving break is 11/22-12/1 and 10 days?

Spring Break is 3/6-3/15. Again 10 days?

Either of these dates would limit me to no North Rim camping, but would I be looking at the potential for the same "summer" crowds during those time periods?

North rim is likely out and with you being a 1050 miles from the CG you need to work on a route that will not be extending the drive but taking advantage of the sites along the way, JMHO. Summer crowds are in the summer - BUT - Thanksgiving Crowds are at Thanksgiving so yes you will see a little more in the way of people but not nearly the crowds that you will see in the Summer. Again IMHO, the late Fall and the Early Spring are GREAT Times to be in the Southwest. You will love the Low Sun angle and the Deep Blue Sky - no filters needed.

For November, would the full park be open for all activities weather permitting?

I'm sure there is more to do than you can get done in the time set aside, so that should not be a Problem.

If Nov is a real possibility, then maybe I could get my PNW fix on for the summer.

Is that your Pacific North West Fix - ??? - Let me add a Map of a possible route that I think might work for you - it will require that you leave after work on the day before you had planned - that you push that first night to get 2-300 + miles down the road so as to be able to stretch the days of the trip.

Map - https://binged.it/2o0RhTR I've taken the Liberty to Add a few drive throughs/stops along the way. Petrified Forest - Sedona - Grand Canyon (Get reservation in the park if Possible) just saves time, you will only sleep there. then out through the East to Horse Shoe to Page/Antelope Canyon - then on to Monument Valley - and with an exit to Canyon de Chelly and a dive through of Window Rock before heading Home

Might work with a very aggressive scheduling/driving - [emoticon] - Likely the only place you will need reservations would be Sedona and Grand Canyon so the rest could be add ons if time allows.

We all see things differently - when I was young with kids this is how we traveled, now maybe a little less rushed but not much [emoticon]

Hope this is some help,

http://www.cross-country-trips.com/

just to let you know people do it - https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fusea........d/26349709/gotomsg/26352603.cfm#26352603

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
MDX-FMCA--M&G Brake
States traveled in this Coach

Busskipper

Arnold,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looked through a few of your Images - Think you would really Enjoy the San Juan's for a Longer Summer Vacation - http://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/ouray-and........-rock-n-roll-3-days-to-visit-442372.html

https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelunderwood/14787340840/in/photostream/

Just a thought or two on an area we have found to be just Wild and Beautiful, and not a National Park yet.

Best of Luck,

patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/19 10:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're use to "balls to the wall" traveling to maximize location time. Since my son was born, we've been to Charleston, Black Hills, Destin, Glacier, Ouray/Silverton, Red River, Pike's Peak, Durango x 2, Jackson Hole and Davis Mtns. We usually get at least one might in a motel room and try to shut down by 8ish. He is a road warrior and isn't a complainer. Were in a position in life now where it is what it is. As long as the motel has a swimming pool, he's good to go and we take enough breaks to not all go stir crazy.

Maybe when we retire we can slow down a bit and take in more of the journey. That being said, we thoroughly enjoy Colorado and they have some of the best state parks we've ever been to. Actually have been looking online at land in Colorado to buy where we could have a perm. place to vacation every year. Maybe put up an off grid yurt or something.

Our biggest hurdle to deal with is that we have a pop-up.....a big pop-up, so were at least 3/4-1 hr to set up and 3/4-1 hrs to break down wherever we go. Hopefully we'll be getting a new trailer in the nest couple of years but we've kinda tried to plan our trips to usually 1-2 moves max. I imagine that it will be so much easier to roll out of the bed and slide into the driver's seat, but were not there just yet.

So far we've been limited to parks with hookups, but we've bought a generator and a poop toter within the last year, so this has expanded our ability to campgrounds that aren't FHU, so more remote places are now opened up.

I appreciate all the suggestions so far, please keep them coming.

* This post was edited 09/30/19 01:39pm by patperry2766 *

Busskipper

Arnold,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patperry2766 wrote:

We're use to "balls to the wall" traveling to maximize location time. Since my son was born, we've been to Charleston, Black Hills, Destin, Glacier, Ouray/Silverton, Red River, Pike's Peak, Durango x 2, Jackson Hole and Davis Mtns. We usually get at least one might in a motel room and try to shut down by 8ish. He is a road warrior and isn't a complainer. We're in a position in life now where it is what it is. As long as the motel has a swimming pool, he's good to go and we take enough breaks to not all go stir crazy.

Maybe when we retire we can slow down a bit and take in more of the journey. That being said, we thoroughly enjoy Colorado and they have some of the best state parks we've ever been to. Actually have been looking online at land in Colorado to buy where we could have a perm. place to vacation every year. Maybe put up an off grid yurt or something.

Might just look into Hinsdale County, Lake City - Alpine Loop - Interesting statistic - .75 people per square Mile of Dirt = not very crowded But extremely Beautiful and Cool in the Summer

Hinsdale County, CO - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinsdale_County,_Colorado -

This might work as your Yurt [emoticon] - https://sites.google.com/site/solargonhomes/home

I appreciate all the suggestions so far, please keep them coming.

Having the Pop Up will definitely limit you travel style - Drive and go will make life easier - https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2011-Lance-855-5009119115 -

Sorry might be getting carried away -

Good Luck,

prichardson

Lafayette, La

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A good option for you would be to stay at Desert View, the NPS campground on the east end of the South Rim. Easy walk to the canyon wall and less crowded than Mather and Canyon Village. From there it is an easy run up to Zion, Bryce, etc.

Busskipper

Arnold,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

prichardson wrote:

A good option for you would be to stay at Desert View, the NPS campground on the east end of the South Rim. Easy walk to the canyon wall and less crowded than Mather and Canyon Village. From there it is an easy run up to Zion, Bryce, etc.

Think this might just be your ticket if you can get a reservation.

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/cg-sr.htm#CP_JUMP_153567

4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been to both rims many a time along with Zion, Bryce, Escalante and many places in between. My observations:

The south rim is more crowded, but you are able to drive in a more continuous manner along the rim. There's a lot of different view points on the north rim, but several of these require a fair amount of driving to get to. The south rim has more amenities. One that is really nice is the shuttle system. So once you park, you can visit much of the south rim w/o moving your vehicle. I think photography is easier for us novices from the south rim. Of course this doesn't matter as much in the summer as the sun is virtually overhead, but in certain times of the year, shooting toward the south often is difficult with the sun in front of you. North rim is cooler due to elevation. While Mather is a nicer CG, Trailer Village is the place to be if you "need" a/c. Of course if you're out exploring all day, it won't matter as much since it tends to cool off quite nicely in the evening. That's the great thing about a PUP. Unzip every window and let the breeze blow through.

As for the suggestion to hike into the canyon, I'd only do it if you got some cooler weather. Gets quite hot as you go down. If you do want to hike, take the Bright Angel Trail and leave in the mid to late afternoon. The shadow from the canyon rim hits the upper part of that trail so you're out of the sun. Plus, when you get back to the top, you can get an ice cream cone at the Angel Lodge!

The north rim is simply too far from the other places you're talking about visiting to use it as a base camp.

All told, if you haven't been to the GC, I'd recommend the south rim for your first visit.

For Zion NP, I'd suggest getting a reservation at Watchman CG in the park. Electric service is available plus it's walking distance to the visitors center where you catch the shuttle bus into the canyon (the only way you can get up there). Watchman also borders the Virgin River which flows pretty slow by mid summer. Kids build little dams and play in the "river" (really more of a stream) and the adults set their lawn chairs up in the water under the shade of the giant Cottonwood trees. Great way to spend a hot part of the day and way better than a motel swimming pool IMHO. Otherwise, hike the trails on the east side of the canyon in the morning when they're in the shade and the west side trails in the afternoon when they're in the shade. Do plan on a day to hike up the Zion Narrows. You end up wading up the stream with walls that are over 1000' high and a canyon that is just a few dozen feet wide in places. But it's much cooler in there, even in the middle of the day. Bring water shoes or tennis shoes that you don't mind getting wet and sandy.

Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd go to Bryce Canyon and camp up there rather than spending 1 1/2 hours each way every day you want to go up there. Three hours drive time is more than it takes you to break and set up camp. It's quite a bit higher elevation in Bryce so much cooler in the campground. Again, there's a great shuttle system there, too. Drop into the canyon at one place and come out another, using the bus to get back to your car. Bryce Canyon is another place to hike in the mid to late afternoon as the main part of the "canyon" faces east and gets shaded in the P.M.

Escalante is a huge area. If I had to pick the main things to see it would be Lower Calf Creek Falls and Spooky and Peek-a-boo slot canyons. For camping, you might look into camping at Singletree CG north of Boulder up in the NF. At over 8000' it's far cooler.

Timing: At a minimum I'd plan two full days (three nights) at the south rim. At least two full days at Zion (great hiking). A full day (two nights) at Bryce so you can do an extended below the rim hike.

For your route to or from the South Rim from TX, consider taking NM 63 and visiting El Morro NM. We've been to a lot of NP's and NM's and this one was quite surprisingly interesting. Plan on three hours or so for a quick tour.

Also, whether you do a day trip from the south rim or you camp at Bonito Campground near Sunset Crater north of Flagstaff, there are several NM's to visit near there. Walnut Canyon and Wupatki NM's are worth a day between them.

djsamuel

Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/19 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patperry2766 wrote:

Any thoughts on Mather NPS campground? Trailer Village RV Park looks like a big space assigned parking lot which doesn't really appeal to me.

Mather's is mainly tent camping, while Trailer Village is full hook up. While Trailer Village is basically a parking lot, the location is terrific and you also get visitors to the campground like this:

[image]

This was taken during our last stay.

We've been to both the north and south rims. Bot are BEAUTIFUL, but our preference is the south rim. You won't go wrong either way. The crowds aren't too bad, the Grand Canyon Village area at the south rim is very interesting, and if you hike a bit away from the central area, there aren't many people around. In addition, hiking the Bright Angel Trail and the other trails are fairly empty.

Picture of Our Trailer

Camplite 21BHS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS