Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Grand Canyon 2020
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/19 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Exploring trip to the area summer 2020. Here's what I know, or think I know.

The South Rim is more commercialized than the North Rim, but does that mean that it's any less spectacular?

The North Rim is higher elevation so the daytime temps will be more tolerable. Would be most interested in The NPS campground, and while they don't have hookups, there are generator hours. So, are daytime temps tolerable?

It will be easier/quicker to travel to Antelope Canyon/Horseshoe Bend, Zion and Grand Staircase Escalante from the N side.

It's roughly 225 ish miles from North to South Rim so I don't want to spend entire trip burning up the roads driving back and forth

I'm trying to balance the trip where it works best for all of us. I'm into photography so I could easily spend all day wanting to do my thing, but I also have a wife and son that don't necessarily have the same idea of my fun.

To get the full experience, how much time should I reasonably expect to spend on this trip? I will easily have 2 1/2-3 weeks for this trip, but is there enough things to do in the area to keep us captivated, or will we get bored after a week or so?

Any and all suggestions or comments will be breatly appreciated.

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/19 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“The South Rim is more commercialized than the North Rim, but does that mean that it's any less spectacular?”

The South Rim isn’t “commercialized” and it’s just as scenic as the the North Rim. Personally I’d skip the summer and only go in the other three seasons. If you or your family get bored easily in this beautiful, historic, fantastic area, stay three or four days. “Been there, done that.”

“I'm into photography so I could easily spend all day wanting to do my thing,..” It’s your vacation, Dad. Your family should let you take your photographs. IMO you don’t need to entertain them.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/19 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

be sure to check out Lower Antelope Canyon in Page AZ if you go from one side of the Canyon to the other. Google it. We hiked the Canyon rim to rim from north to south in 2017. Fourth trip to the Canyon. Plan on 5 hours to drive from one side to the other. great scenery on the drive too.

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime since October 2007
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

accsys

Green Cove Springs, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/19 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might want to have a look at our 2011 blog where we did much the same as you are planning though it may have been a little earlier than you - May. The south rim portion starts here and continues to the north rim, zion, bryce, Kodachrome SP, Capital Reef, and on up. You will get an idea of how long we spent at each stop. UT-12 is the only scenic highway in Utah and boy is it scenic. I promise no ads to contend with just reports and pictures of what we did.

John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2007 Tiffin Phaeton QDH 40 w/Cat 7 350 (Mothership)
2004 Liberty Renegade 4x4 Toad (Libby)
Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar
Air Force One toad braking system
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

pbeverly

South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/19 03:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been researching and am going to April 2021. From what I have researched the jest is if you only get to the Grand Canyon once, then go to the south rim. Also read that if you are willing to hike just 15-30 minutes that the people really thin out.

For an April 2021 trip I will start planning and booking things Spring of 2020.

Ridgeway, SC

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/19 04:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What we did was stayed in Williams and visited the Canyon the next 2 days and then moved up to Page AZ and stayed there to see Glen Canyon and Staircase areas. This allowed us to take time to see the surrounding area also and not spend a lot of time driving long distances. It fit our needs great and I even had time to play golf.

timandsusan

San Antonio, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/19 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is my experience at the GC. 1 trip to the South Rim for 4 days in September, very cool to cold evenings, nice days, great views, and nice ranger programs. That part of Arizona is tilted to the south-this is important because water falling on the south rim drains to the south with very little draining into the GC. So the South walls of the Canyon are steeper and less eroded than the north rim. In general the river is about 2 miles from the south rim and about 7 miles from the north rim. Different views for photography from both sides. For the North rim, we have visited 2 times--again both in September, much cooler, less crowds, but great viewing points that you can drive to. We have also floated 188 miles--6 days--thru the Grand Canyon. Still more great views but this time looking up. So, plan on more than 1 trip! Summary--1st trip go to the South Rim, 2nd trip go to North Rim, 3rd trip--FLOAT the Colorado River!

Busskipper

Arnold,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/19 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patperry2766 wrote:

Exploring trip to the area summer 2020. Here's what I know, or think I know.

The South Rim is more commercialized than the North Rim, but does that mean that it's any less spectacular?

The Grand Canyon is Spectacular, IMHO, every time I see it whether from the North or the South. Period. That said I do not enjoy crowds and have been to both multiple time - most of my better Memories over the last 50 years were from the North, just has more of what works for ME. On the South side you can come in from the East on RT 64 - much less traffic and it lets you sort of get into the park slowly - my feeling - before getting into the Heavy Commercialization and Crowds. We almost always come and go from this Entry - usually coming from Canyon de Chelly [emoticon] .

The North Rim is higher elevation so the daytime temps will be more tolerable. Would be most interested in The NPS campground, and while they don't have hookups, there are generator hours. So, are daytime temps tolerable?

Correct about elevation - BUT - in the hot season it is/can be still fairly Warm in the summer so to be Comfortable you May need a little A/C. That said in one of my visits when locating my son for a summer internship in Cali we hit Snow on the 2nd of June - it was Unbelievably Beautiful - and had all melted by 10:00, so just keep that in mind when deciding on where to focus your stay. You know what the say about the weather in the SouthWest - if you don't like it "Not to worry, it Will Change shortly"

It will be easier/quicker to travel to Antelope Canyon/Horseshoe Bend, Zion and Grand Staircase Escalante from the North side.

Utah and all those Sites you wish to see are not that close - it will take Time and a Good Road Map with a smart Route. If you are trying to list sites you have left many out - [emoticon] - State Parks, need to be researched and included - IMHO - as many are just Great - Monument Valley - HorseShoe Bend - Page - Lake Powell - Rt 128 and RT 12 - Green River ........

It's roughly 225 ish miles from North to South Rim so I don't want to spend entire trip burning up the roads driving back and forth

You have not mentioned the amount of time or the time of Year you are doing this trip, both are important considerations in the Plan[emoticon]. If you have looked at the Map you will see some of the slot Canyons and Page and HorseShoe are all on the way to the North Rim - then if leaving the North Rim you could head to Zion - out the Tunnel do Bryce and Kodachrome/Escalante/RT 12 on the way to Goblins and Capital Reef

I'm trying to balance the trip where it works best for all of us. I'm into photography so I could easily spend all day wanting to do my thing, but I also have a wife and son that don't necessarily have the same idea of my fun.

What do they want to do - your part of the trip will likely Require you to be up before Sunrise and set up for Sunsets so you can still do things - Hikes and site visits - with them [emoticon] Look over Stan's images as they may help in deciding your stops - https://www.pbase.com/sparker1/root%26view=tree - you can also search the web as he has more on Utah in other websites. So Much to see - So Much to Do and Never enough TIME

To get the full experience, how much time should I reasonably expect to spend on this trip? I will easily have 2 1/2-3 weeks for this trip, but is there enough things to do in the area to keep us captivated, or will we get bored after a week or so?

Simple answer is there is Never Enough Time. So what to do? Do your Homework - learn a LOT MORE - Plan a lot More - I think if I were you I'd focus on one area for doing what you want - then just plan on driving through the rest to be able to plan for the Next 5 or so trips. Sorry but you can see it in three weeks but it takes a Lifetime to become immersed in the SouthWest, just too much of it to do in three Weeks, IMHO. So pick out the few spots you want to See/Experience/Photograph give yourself some time there and then plan to Drive through a lot of it to just see it so you can Plan to do what suits you. We have found that for the state of Utah we Enjoy it Most in the Winter, Late Fall, Early Spring - fewer People - Not Hot - and with the Sun Low in the sky Just Beautiful.

Any and all suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if I helped or not - tried to address all of your concerns, Biggest thing is there is no Right or Wrong way to do this - It's BIG and it Beautiful - and it is really Varied - and there is a Lot of It so hard to make a Bad Decision - Just Do It.

Hope this helps, be sure to report back so others can learn from your decisions [emoticon]

* This post was edited 09/27/19 07:00am by Busskipper *

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
MDX-FMCA--M&G Brake
States traveled in this Coach

patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/19 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any thoughts on Mather NPS campground? Trailer Village RV Park looks like a big space assigned parking lot which doesn't really appeal to me.

johnwalkerpa1

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/19 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My personal opinion on the Grand Canyon is this...

1. If it's your first trip, you probably want the south rim. While I like the north rim best, there is much more to see and do on the south side. Most of the classic images are from the south side.

2. If there is any way to go to the south side other than in June, July and August, its better.... June-Aug can be a zoo. But, still....refer to # 1 above.

3. Even if you are not a hard core hiker....go at least a little way down below the rim on one of the trails. It's a whole new experience down inside. Just know your limits and ability to climb back out...but even a short distance down gives you a taste.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS