Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: The mother of all stupid truck camper questions....
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> The mother of all stupid truck camper questions....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
lcseds

Chapel Hill, NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/19 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I are considering a TC for some travelling when retired. Part of the potential fun and cost saving of a TC is boondocking. The pictures we see of some boondocking sites are amazing.

But....where the heck do you boondock? I'm in NC so there isn't any barren desert or anything. All I can think about is someone banging on the door at night saying private property and have to move. I don't think I can just pull off anywhere, so where /how do you discover these spots? How do I know when I turn onto a dirt road or something I won't get stuck? I have not been out west so I assume it's easier out there to find spots. But in general, I'd like some tips.

I have an 2018 F350 diesel dually 4x4 (not FX4) and would get the TC reasonably equipped for a few days of boondocking at a time. We are "wanna-be" adventurers. Newbies if you will.

gkainz

Arvada, CO, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/19 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a place to start your research

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=North+Carolina+BLM+National+Forest+dispersed+camping

'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

#1Flyboy

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/19 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well you might go to Campendium.com and also get the ULTIMATE CAMPGROUNDS App.... Also try GOOGLING boondocking... Also uscampgrounds.info

srschang

Western NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/19 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I have been truck camping for 15 years and I totally understand your concerns. We live in western NY, south of Buffalo, and there's not a lot of "public land" open to overnight stays. We just drove to Alaska and back over 5 weeks, and paid to camp every night. To me I need the comfort knowing that I'm in my "legal spot" every night. I couldn't sleep if I just parked somewhere down a dirt road not knowing if I was on somebody's property and might get a knock on the door as you suggested. I just haven't figured out how to tell if it's OK to spend the night somewhere - it would be great to have a huge map of the US and Canada that said "OK to camp here, not OK to camp there", but I've not been able to find such a map. And there's also the convenience factor - wife on her Ipad, me driving, tired, 6:00 in the evening, she says: "Hey, there's a KOA in 5 miles". Me: "Sounds great"

2015 Ram 3500 SRW diesel, 2003 Travelite

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/19 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Each state & province has different laws, so you can't assume anything.
Forget boondocking in California coastal areas. Basically each city has ordinance forbidding RV overnight stay and they force Walmarts to do that as well.
The practice seems to extend to Oregon, Yukon and who knows how many other places.
But on our drive to Alaska only few rest areas had "no overnight stay" signs, so we could pull over at any convenient area and sleep well. Canada Information Centers have dump stations and water faucet, so that was easy.
Than states like AZ allow boon-docking basically everywhere.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/19 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michigan is anywhere there is a turnout, especially in the UP. Leave it like you found it and if there is trash, pick it up even if it's not yours.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/19 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don,t have a tc but a small class C never paid for a camp out west. I have pulled up to a ranch house and asked to stay overnight, best stop we made. had a great time. theres thousands of places that are same and I like being alone in nature. heres one arizona roosevelt lake pull down to the waters edge was there three days before I saw another person.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/19 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might find something in the Boondocking Forum section.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/19 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out free campsites.net

North Carolina free camping

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited toad.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/19 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Each state & province has different laws, so you can't assume anything.
Forget boondocking in California coastal areas. Basically each city has ordinance forbidding RV overnight stay and they force Walmarts to do that as well.
The practice seems to extend to Oregon, Yukon and who knows how many other places.
But on our drive to Alaska only few rest areas had "no overnight stay" signs, so we could pull over at any convenient area and sleep well. Canada Information Centers have dump stations and water faucet, so that was easy.
Than states like AZ allow boon-docking basically everywhere.

I hesitate to contradict your post because I don’t want to tell people they can park everywhere in California. Ha ha

But I have to say, in California coastal places, I stayed for about two months traveling around the entire coast from San Francisco to San Diego. I stayed in one campground. Only one night. And that was because of the lack of places to stay along the Pacific coast highway. The rest were all rough parking. I was even able to spend a few days in the Mission district. With the RV and all. That’s one of the hardest places to get into in San Francisco. But I did it. Walk out my door, and walk to everything that was the Mission district.

It’s an artform. You just have to know how to do it. And that just comes with a lot of experience. Keep trying. You’ll learn what places knock and what places don’t.

I’m coming back out again this winter to do the same.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> The mother of all stupid truck camper questions....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS