cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sticker Shock for general service

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
I have a basically new 2017 Newmar LE with 18,000 miles that has never been serviced since new. Wondering if its time to get service on the 340HP Cummins and Onan Generator? Any ideas on cost for service assuming there are no serious problems??? Can just any MH service center do this, and as efficiently??

Thanks in advance
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif
14 REPLIES 14

Prof_Turby
Explorer
Explorer
My neighbor owns a truck garage/servicing center. He has over 40 employees and is in the process of purchasing my farm. I asked him how much is the charge for a full service at his place. He said around $350 to $500. So once he gets the farm and we retire, I know where the coach is getting serviced at.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did not read all of the responses but the facts are that RV's are not inexpensive to maintain. You need to find service folks that you are comfortable with that will perform the required service at an acceptable (not necessarily reasonable) price. We full time and have to just suck it up when we need service and we are not close to any service center we have confidence in. That's our choice. If you have a Winter or Summer location you frequent you can likely find good service at reasonable prices. Forget cheap, think reasonable.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
As other's said, you are way behind the scheduled maintenance-- the first one being 6 months after chassis build
Take a look here for the services that should be done at the various intervals.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
One thing I can tell you is an old song title Shop Around.

Now I don't drive a Big D. I drive a Big G (Gasser)

My first Oil Change was 99.95, and they used the wrong oil (I specified synthetic or blended forget which 14 years back)

My second was 69.95.. They used blended (which I still use today and that is still the price) at an authorized Workhorse Service Center (Chevy Dealer).

The moral is 2 fold
1 Dealer may be less expensive than other but no guarantee
2: Shop around
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
I'm confused
Couple of years overdue !
It's a 2017 model

Yabut... the chassis is 2016, and it sat for a year just being started to move for the first year. I believe most DP owners have the chassis serviced yearly regardless of mileage.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Bruce_Brown
Agreed. As noted above, some of our stuff technically was over due time wise. I ask the shop about it, they did an analysis on the fluids and gave them the green light.

These maintenance schedules are based on OTR truck miles, not typical MH duty stuff. In our case the MH is garage kept so the environment isn't an issue, and unfortunately we haven't been covering the miles we used to. On paper our ISL has a 12 month or 20,000 mile oil change interval. Not a chance I'm dropping 28 quarts of oil at 5,000 miles just because it hit 12 months.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

MrWizard
I'm confused
Couple of years overdue !
It's a 2017 model
And this is still 2019 asuming he bought it sometime in 2017 he is just over or just under 2 years of owner ship
And 18000 is low mileage
On my Cummins some of the items were listed at 15000 mile intervals

Using mileage , I would say sightly over due, using time then a yearly is normal
And he missed it the first time
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
CAR no longer service over the road CAT engines. Freightliner is the Authorized Service Provider.CAT C7
Change coolant, thermostats, clean cac and radiator and possible hoses and belt. Appx $3,000.00, quote.
I read on aforum from 2007 it cost $608.00 to change coolant and thermostats.
I cn live with that. I could do it all myself a few years ago but not now for cost of coolant 1400+ a gallon and two thermostats and possibly a belt 20.00 and a few hoses at most 100.00 or possibly a total of $300.00 or less.
Coolant Freightlienr Long life, or whatever they call it was changed in 08 so it is time. If they had put a coolant filter on it like they do semis then a filter change and possibly some additive would have been it plus thermostats.
Silicon coolant hoses should last a very long time.
On engine an generator service and air filter 400.00 or so without air filter 300.00-450.00 possibly. Trans fluid change on Allison should be around 400.00 at Allison Dealer.
These Speeco service centers advertise a lot cheaper prices. We don't have on in our home neck of the woods so I have not used them.
I m thinking of finding one here in AZ to asak about price on coolant service, if they do it.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I take mine in every year. They do the engine and generator including all filters + grease everything. They also check everything that needs checked. 8.3 Cummins, 7500 Onan. Around $400.00

Bruce_Brown
We just had our ISL done; lube, oil & filter, plus they tested the transmission fluid, hydraulic oil, and coolant as technically they were past due time wise but not mileage wise - $469.22.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
You need to look up service and maintenance schedules for your engine/ tranny/ generator.

Being a newer rig, there are usually adjustments,tweaks, etc at certain mileages/ hours.

There could be quite a few things that need to, or should have been done already
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Agree you're way over due on the engine and I assume lube. Gen might be OK. What does your manuals say for gen and tranny? What about battery water? And everything else that's recommended in the manual for service?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
To answer your question, yes, it’s couple years past time for servicing.

Since you have missed a couple services, contact a reputable center, tell them you’ve never had service done since new, if Im reading your post correctly, and they will give you an amount.

Our P1 service every year is around $500 from a great service center in Phoenix

Generator,if you’re handy, can be done yourself to save the $300-$350

For future, do your coach a favor and have it serviced regularly. Maintenance is key to these coaches. Waiting 3 years is doing nothing but asking for problems.

I’m sure you knew going in, these rigs are not inexpensive to own, so,it shouldn’t be sticker shock. Service, inspections, and maintenance are the most important things when you own one.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
on my little sprinter mh they wanted $1200. for a forty mile check up so sit down before they quote you a figure.p.s I did it myself.