Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Campground washroom needs GFCI
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Campground washroom needs GFCI

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/19 06:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it! We have a bathroom in our camper and use it! We haven't set foot inside a campground bathroom or shower house in ... probably ... 10 years or more. ... Oh on second thought... I did look inside one about a month ago. It was recently remodeled and just curious what it looked like.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/19 06:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

So the questions is should I mention this deficiency to management or let it go?

Well you could POLITELY mention it but you might be surprised by the answer.

In My RV there are two GFCIs.. One OEM one I added.. Both of them protect at least one additional outlet (The one I added protects one more the other one 4 more)

There is also such a thing as a GFCI Circuit Breaker.. These are dual function devices. both GFCI and Circuit breaker in one.. It would be located in the power distribution center (breaker box) where you can not see... Or reset.. It.

And finally rules and regulations vary from place to place and may depend on the age of the facility as well.. This too (in the case of a public or semi-public facility like a CG Facility) may be the case.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/19 07:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since we don't have a clue as to whether that circuit is protected or not, why not just have a cold one and let her rip tader chip. [emoticon]

like mentioned before there could even be a GCFI circuit breaker in the service box.

Bert Ackerman

Palm Beach

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/19 07:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would inspect the entire campground, generate a punchlist and full report, then approach management/ownership.

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/19 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

I am currently at a very popular campground near Columbia, MO. Their washroom has one outlet next to the sink for hair dryers, etc. As far as I can tell is it not a GFCI probably because when this CG was built such a device was either not available or required.
So the questions is should I mention this deficiency to management or let it go?

With all due respect, is this all you have to worry about? I say MYOB! If this is such a big deal to you, then either move to another campground, or don't use their facilities.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/19 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

It has to be protected since it's a commercial or public facility (goes for rentals too).
No grandfathering.

Is that a US code, State or local?

Like a friend says "show me".

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/19 08:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

As noted, could very well be slaved from another GFCI. But if so it should have a GFCI Protected sticker on it.

Could just as easily been installed before GFCI was required and grandfathered in. In that case the owner probably in no hurry to upgrade.
That is how ours are wired and they don't have stickers. Someone making a fuss about GFCIs in the bathrooms, or even worse testing them, is someone I would actively look to get out of the park as soon as possible. Definitely wouldn't extend their stay, would note in the records to not take them again, and if the made too much of a scene I would refund their money and send them on down the road immediately. To me, that is a person who is looking for a problem and won't be happy until they find one. If the GFCI is fine, they will keep looking. I am more than fine in having them pursue happiness elsewhere.

Darryl&Rita

Grande Prairie, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/19 09:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

BB_TX wrote:

As noted, could very well be slaved from another GFCI. But if so it should have a GFCI Protected sticker on it.

Could just as easily been installed before GFCI was required and grandfathered in. In that case the owner probably in no hurry to upgrade.
That is how ours are wired and they don't have stickers. Someone making a fuss about GFCIs in the bathrooms, or even worse testing them, is someone I would actively look to get out of the park as soon as possible. Definitely wouldn't extend their stay, would note in the records to not take them again, and if the made too much of a scene I would refund their money and send them on down the road immediately. To me, that is a person who is looking for a problem and won't be happy until they find one. If the GFCI is fine, they will keep looking. I am more than fine in having them pursue happiness elsewhere.

Yup, heartily agree.

***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/19 09:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

I am currently at a very popular campground near Columbia, MO. Their washroom has one outlet next to the sink for hair dryers, etc. As far as I can tell is it not a GFCI probably because when this CG was built such a device was either not available or required.

Bad assumption on your part.

The necessary GFCI hardware can be located on an outlet OR on the circuit breaker in the distribution box. Either way, one GFCI device will protect the entire circuit. So, unless you checked the distribution box and tracked down every single outlet on that circuit, there's no way to know if any given outlet is GFCI protected.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/19 11:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use circuit breaker GFI's at my rentals - keeps down the unnecessary calls when tenant or his kid accidentally pressed the test button and has no clue why their lights went out. Most of the campground I visit don't have local GFI's and I have always assumed they do something similar - doesn't matter to me since I don't use the electrical outlets in the bathroom. If the campground says they aren't protected does that mean your going to move ... if not then don't waste your time.

Kevin

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Campground washroom needs GFCI
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS