cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campground washroom needs GFCI

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I am currently at a very popular campground near Columbia, MO. Their washroom has one outlet next to the sink for hair dryers, etc. As far as I can tell is it not a GFCI probably because when this CG was built such a device was either not available or required.
So the questions is should I mention this deficiency to management or let it go?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)
38 REPLIES 38

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
cavie wrote:
ScottG wrote:
It has to be protected since it's a commercial or public facility (goes for rentals too).
No grandfathering.

If it passed inspection before the GFI requirement the is no code to make them upgrade to GFI. Yes it can be grandfathered.

Per NEC, NOT in a commercial, public or rental property. I have been though this many times and I am 100% sure of this.
Now if some local yocals don't adopt NEC requirements then anything goes but the code is clear.

True, before retirement I did commercial property management and renovating. Health and safety is NOT grandfathered.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I hate to know what happens when they OP finds out they're out of TP!!! Do they go to the office or come on here and ask what to do? ๐Ÿ˜‰
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would just get on with my day. Your call.

Have reported bad ground and reverse polarity at pedestals with no action when I returned a year later. No longer my fight as long as I feel reasonably safe.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ppine wrote:
NEC Natonal Electrical Code requirement.

Current code yes. Show me where it requires them to upgrade.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Was waiting for the MYOFB replies. Agree.

Yep! Campground owners have enough to worry about with inspectors and compliance requirements. My guess is that this is likely a non-issue as it is probably tied to a GFCI elsewhere (we had one house where the GFCI covering the bathroom was on the back deck!). Even if not, why make such an issue of it as a camper. Enjoy your time and move on!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Was waiting for the MYOFB replies. Agree.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
NEC Natonal Electrical Code requirement.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
As noted, could very well be slaved from another GFCI. But if so it should have a GFCI Protected sticker on it.

Could just as easily been installed before GFCI was required and grandfathered in. In that case the owner probably in no hurry to upgrade.
That is how ours are wired and they don't have stickers. Someone making a fuss about GFCIs in the bathrooms, or even worse testing them, is someone I would actively look to get out of the park as soon as possible. Definitely wouldn't extend their stay, would note in the records to not take them again, and if the made too much of a scene I would refund their money and send them on down the road immediately. To me, that is a person who is looking for a problem and won't be happy until they find one. If the GFCI is fine, they will keep looking. I am more than fine in having them pursue happiness elsewhere.

Well said!

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I use circuit breaker GFI's at my rentals - keeps down the unnecessary calls when tenant or his kid accidentally pressed the test button and has no clue why their lights went out. Most of the campground I visit don't have local GFI's and I have always assumed they do something similar - doesn't matter to me since I don't use the electrical outlets in the bathroom. If the campground says they aren't protected does that mean your going to move ... if not then don't waste your time.
Kevin

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Dick_B wrote:
I am currently at a very popular campground near Columbia, MO. Their washroom has one outlet next to the sink for hair dryers, etc. As far as I can tell is it not a GFCI probably because when this CG was built such a device was either not available or required.
So the questions is should I mention this deficiency to management or let it go?

Bad assumption on your part.

The necessary GFCI hardware can be located on an outlet OR on the circuit breaker in the distribution box. Either way, one GFCI device will protect the entire circuit. So, unless you checked the distribution box and tracked down every single outlet on that circuit, there's no way to know if any given outlet is GFCI protected.

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
As noted, could very well be slaved from another GFCI. But if so it should have a GFCI Protected sticker on it.

Could just as easily been installed before GFCI was required and grandfathered in. In that case the owner probably in no hurry to upgrade.
That is how ours are wired and they don't have stickers. Someone making a fuss about GFCIs in the bathrooms, or even worse testing them, is someone I would actively look to get out of the park as soon as possible. Definitely wouldn't extend their stay, would note in the records to not take them again, and if the made too much of a scene I would refund their money and send them on down the road immediately. To me, that is a person who is looking for a problem and won't be happy until they find one. If the GFCI is fine, they will keep looking. I am more than fine in having them pursue happiness elsewhere.

Yup, heartily agree.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
It has to be protected since it's a commercial or public facility (goes for rentals too).
No grandfathering.

Is that a US code, State or local?

Like a friend says "show me".
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD