Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Cigarrette Addiction
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Cigarrette Addiction

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
mr. ed

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 12:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of course, this doesn't apply to me. The place where I;m living doesn't allow smoking anywhere near the building. It's raining pretty steadily right now in southern Arizona, and I spied one of the residents sitting under a small tree, which didn't supply much protection, calmly puffing away. When she returned to the protection of the building she was quite wet. What a shame to be so addicted to a product that a person would be willing to  endure such treatment! I think one reason the gov't doesn't ban cigarettes is the billions in tax revenue they generate.

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 01:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

She may be addicted to a product, but consider all the people who are so addicted to running that they will run marathons and ultra marathons in any kind of weather. They aren't doing it for their health, since most of them look like the walking/running dead. She could have simply used an umbrella and been dry, she chose not to. I've watched kids play in the rain, with them not realizing that they should be miserable out in the rain like that.

There are worse addictions, passing judgement on people is an arguably worse pastime. She may love her 2 cigarets a day as much as you like deciding she is hopelessly addicted.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bowling Green, KY

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 02:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

"... consider all the people who are so addicted to running that they will run marathons and ultra marathons in any kind of weather. They aren't doing it for their health, since most of them look like the walking/running dead."

Is not the above passing judgement?????

Most people I know that run marathons are healthier than I, and possibly you. [emoticon] And, hardly look like the 'walking dead'.

mr. ed

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 02:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

She may be addicted to a product, but consider all the people who are so addicted to running that they will run marathons and ultra marathons in any kind of weather. They aren't doing it for their health, since most of them look like the walking/running dead. She could have simply used an umbrella and been dry, she chose not to. I've watched kids play in the rain, with them not realizing that they should be miserable out in the rain like that.

There are worse addictions, passing judgement on people is an arguably worse pastime. She may love her 2 cigarets a day as much as you like deciding she is hopelessly addicted.

I have to disagree to a point. I know she smokes more than 2 a day since I see her all the time smoking outside, and I'm outside pretty frequently. Anyhow, to each his(her) own. The latest craze now is vaping, which appears to be causing serious damage to lungs. Can't say Ive had any serious addictions, other than Starbucks lattes.[emoticon]

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/19 03:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't say Ive had any serious addictions, other than Starbucks lattes.

The fat and sugar in these types of drinks are equally as dangerous as cigarettes. Some of us just choose to damage our bodies in a slower fashion. Do you judge those that are overweight as harshly? Food addictions are more common and more deadly than most people are aware of. Judge lest ye be judged.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/19 03:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it’s pitiful that people actually think they’re going to get some terrible disease because someone smoked a cigarette 20’ away from them. Some people need to quit believing every everything they hear.
Did you know “science” warned us the Earth would bi inhabitable by the year 2000?

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 03:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was addicted to smoking cigarettes for 40 years (started during a mortar/recoiless rifle attack in Viet Nam).
then the State decided that they needed money for CHIP (Children's Health Insurance Program), and added a $1 per pack tax.
So, I finished what I had on hand, and quit. The State lost money on that one! They didn't collect any more of the existing taxes from me!
Ennyhoo, yes, I did smoke outside, fair weather, rain, snow, or below zero temps. I can sympathize with the lady having to go out in the rain due to the rules established by fear mongers. IMO, her rights have been violated, forcing her to endure getting wet and cold, and possible health issues, to participate in using a legal product.
Oh, by the way, all those claims the health fanatics make about things getting better when one quits smoking? In my case, all lies. None came true.
However, I do not have lung cancer. Yet.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 03:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

What a shame to be so addicted to a product that a person would be willing to  endure such treatment! I think one reason the gov't doesn't ban cigarettes is the billions in tax revenue they generate.

I can think of a couple of reasons but you nailed #1

I fully agree. I do not know why people will put themselves through that just to shorten their lives.. never understood it.. Don't do it myself. Indications are I will live longer as a result.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 04:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been judged many times. It shows me that they are thinking,........but, their thinking is all screwed up.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 04:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moderator wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

"... consider all the people who are so addicted to running that they will run marathons and ultra marathons in any kind of weather. They aren't doing it for their health, since most of them look like the walking/running dead."

Is not the above passing judgement?????

Most people I know that run marathons are healthier than I, and possibly you. [emoticon] And, hardly look like the 'walking dead'.
I'm not talking about people who jog or trot through a marathon and finish in around 5 hours. I'm talking about people who run which means finishing in under 3 1/2 hours. And ultra-marathons are even worse. Those people do not look healthy in any way, shape, or form. Just pull up some pictures of top level marathoners, or ultra marathoners. They look emaciated. One top marathoner was 5'10" tall and weighed 127 lbs.

Not judging in the least, just offering up a differing viewpoint.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Cigarrette Addiction
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS