cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch upgrade question.

Bobalooie
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2000 Dutch Star with a GCWR rating of 39,000 and GAWR of 29,000lbs. According to the manual, it supposedly has a 5000lb hitch, but I know it can have 10,000. Can one just have a higher rated hitch installed without having to beef up the frame?
11 REPLIES 11

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Bobalooie wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Newmar installed 5k hitches back then. The Hitch rating involves 2 things
1. The rating of the actual Hitch
2. HOW the Hitch is installed/mounted to the Chassis Frame.
If the unit came with a 5k hitch, you will have to install a 10k rated hitch and have the Chassis frame beefed up to safely use that 10k hitch. Doug

Thanks Doug. Question on your last point, though. The Spartan chassis is rated for 10,000lb, so I'm not sure why it would need to be beefed up (incidentally, the Freightliner chassis on the same coach is only 5000lb capacity).

It depends on the chassis maker. IF the chassis maker states that the particular chassis frame and rear mount holes can handle 10k hitch, then buy and install a 10k hitch.

Bobalooie
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
If the unit came with a 5k hitch, you will have to install a 10k rated hitch and have the Chassis frame beefed up to safely use that 10k hitch. Doug

Thanks Doug. Question on your last point, though. The Spartan chassis is rated for 10,000lb, so I'm not sure why it would need to be beefed up (incidentally, the Freightliner chassis on the same coach is only 5000lb capacity).

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Bobalooie wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
Bobalooie wrote:
I have a 2000 Dutch Star with a GCWR rating of 39,000 and GAWR of 29,000lbs. According to the manual, it supposedly has a 5000lb hitch, but I know it can have 10,000. Can one just have a higher rated hitch installed without having to beef up the frame?

Check with Newmar, but just the fact that it has a 10K towing capacity rating suggests that it also have a 10K hitch receiver.
This also applies to the tranny's capabilities, etc....
Our old coach had a very low tow rating and even though most everything was beefy enough for a 5K tow, the transmission wasn't up to it, being the weak link in the train. Still ran it all over the country, but had to be tricky and careful for climbing long 6% grades in hot weather.

Are there different versions of Allison in these diesel pushers in that year? The option was for either a Freightliner or Spartan chassis (with Spartan having a 10klb buffer).

That being the case, it's most likely the Spartan that has an Allison 3000, at least. This should be reflected in the manual for either chassis and doubtful that they would print two separate publications.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
What chassis? FL or Spartan?
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
Installed 2 support angle braces and weld in place.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

Bobalooie
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
Bobalooie wrote:

Check with Newmar, but just the fact that it has a 10K towing capacity rating suggests that it also have a 10K hitch receiver.
Our old coach had a very low tow rating and even though most everything was beefy enough for a 5K tow, the transmission wasn't up to it, being the weak link in the train. Still ran it all over the country, but had to be tricky and careful for climbing long 6% grades in hot weather.

Are there different versions of Allison in these diesel pushers in that year? The option was for either a Freightliner or Spartan chassis (with Spartan having a 10klb buffer).

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Bobalooie wrote:

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bobalooie wrote:

Your answer is in your posted numbers.
It may be possible that the manual is a generic version printed for several different models.
Possibly have the hitch inspected to confirm the size.
Either way, use due diligence to confirm everything prior to towing over 5000 lbs.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Seems like if they could have given the MH the 10k capacity they would have. I agree, have to check with the manufacturer. Often simply adding a bigger hitch does not always equate to everything else being able to support it. (chassis, brakes, tranny, etc)
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Your chassis maker AND Newmar would be the source for that information. Either company could have diminished towing capacity from the 10k.

Far better sources than our speculation.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/