Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: The best mid-size truck for 2019? Honda!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> The best mid-size truck for 2019? Honda!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
PNW_Steve

Pacific Northwet & cold

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/19 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For comparison.

I towed my 13k# trailer, with my Dodge, over 5000 miles on a Mexico trip. I averaged 15.7 mpg for the trip.

I think that I will keep the Dodge. I pulled the same trailer with my Chevy 2500 6.0 gas on a 700 mile trip and averaged less than 9 mpg.

Anyone want to buy a Chevy 2500?

2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/19 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

Wow, you are getting amazing mileage out of yours considering the average real world combined average on Fuelly.com for 2017-2019 Ridgelines is 20.4 mpg. It is almost unbelievable. [emoticon]

It's almost like anecdotal reports of extremely good fuel economy aren't accurate or something. Weird.

My reported fuel economy is spot on accurate. If you don't believe it {feel free BTW} maybe you should learn how to drive efficiently... it works.

[image]

LMAO!

[emoticon]

PNW_Steve

Pacific Northwet & cold

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/19 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain wrote:

IdaD wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

My reported fuel economy is spot on accurate. If you don't believe it {feel free BTW} maybe you should learn how to drive efficiently... it works.

[emoticon]

Driving habits can make a huge difference in fuel mileage. I have a regular run that I have made frequently over the last ten years. If I drive with Max fuel economy in mind I have gotten 20.7mpg over the 140 mile trip. If I drive the same route with getting there as quickly as I can I shave 5-10 minutes off of my travel time and my fuel mileage drops to 16mpg.

I have poked around at ecomodder.com and learned a few things to improve my driving style.

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/19 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting read. While they don't fit the needs of many on this board, they do exceed the needs of the vast majority of buyers. And they do it in a size that is much easier to handle, and allows you to own one and park in downtown parking garages. I get it.

Personally, I'd never consider the Honda. And after the terrible experience my buddy has had with his Colorado Duramax, the GM would be out. I do like the looks of the Ranger, but I'm a Jeep / MOPAR guy at heart, so that is likely where I would spend my $$ if I was in the market.

Interesting aside, they followed Ford's "suggestion" and tested using Premium Fuel.......

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/19 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

Wow, you are getting amazing mileage out of yours considering the average real world combined average on Fuelly.com for 2017-2019 Ridgelines is 20.4 mpg. It is almost unbelievable. [emoticon]

It's almost like anecdotal reports of extremely good fuel economy aren't accurate or something. Weird.

Yeah, and we all know how well the computers readouts are in these trucks. I wish I got what it says instead of the actual hand calculated numbers that is usually 3 mpg less. The only time mine is accurate is on A to B trips with little to know starts and stops. However, the more starts and stops I do, the more inaccurate it gets.

Then there is instant readout while driving down the highway. According to mine, my 6.7L diesel is getting 25-28 mpg if I do 65 mph which we all know is BS.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/19 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain wrote:

LMAO!

[emoticon]

Sorry, but we put very little faith in computer mileage here for a reason. All my vehicles even my current Ram and BMW are off by 1-3 mpg. One fill up they are off by 3, the next they may be off by 1.5 mpg. It gets even worse when recording multiple trips on a trip computer.

And according to the Honda Ridgeline owners club forum link below, your truck is no different.

Trip computer accuracy

* This post was edited 09/23/19 08:23pm by ShinerBock *

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/19 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

The Jeep Gladiator Overland is $55k? I paid less then that out the door for my 2014 Ram 2500 CTD. I would hate to see how much the Rubicon version costs. Probably another $5k on top of that.

I looked at 4 Gladiators a few weeks back with 2 in the Overland and 2 in the Rubicon packages and both where ~$55k. The Rubicons did not have painted fenders so they where lower end units.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/19 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like CAR and DRIVER for their articles about cars. Probably one of my favorite auto rags. Their name says it all. Doesnt surprise me a bit they like the Ridgeline....its a car. If your baseline is what is more car like, the Ridgeline certainly is that and that can be enough for some buyers.

I cant stand the looks them, frame or no frame. The dealer here has some with wheel flairs and bigger tires trying to move them and they look even more pathetic. I see more Nissan XDs than I do new Ridgelines here. I imagine in more urban areas they are more appealing, although lookings at the sales numbers, they arent selling that great nationwide. I think like the XD it is a niche vehicle. The difference is the Honda name can sell the niche.

2006 GMC 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/19 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nutinelse2do wrote:

Yeah, no. Thanks. We’ll keep our Ford Ranger. It has been averaging over 24mpg, and have experienced none of what the author of that article talks about with problems.

Plus, it’s a real truck, and is the most comfortable vehicle we have ever owned, including a 911 turbo Porsche, and a 500 series Mercedes convertible

Just wondering what the yellow sticker payload on your Ranger is?

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/19 10:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock;

Not sure why you have such a knot in your knickers... hope you feel better soon.

My reported milage is supported by fuel pump/calculator numbers. By driving intelligently {operative word here being "gently"} it is no problem to get the higher end of the mileage spectrum.

Over the last 6+ years and 51,000+ miles I have gotten 9.5 mpg out of our 2012 V-10 5 speed Torque Shift 24' Nexus Phantom 23 P Class C which includes a small amount {84 hours} of generator time.

Disbelieve as you see fit but proper maintenance and an educated right foot can easily bring the mileage I am experiencing.

If you cannot get similar mileage I can only suggest you try harder.

[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> The best mid-size truck for 2019? Honda!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS