Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaking Escape Hatch Repaired

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
VIDEO: Leaking Escape Hatch Repaired.
I found my truck camper's escape hatch was leaking yesterday in the rain. This had just started that day as I had been in and out of the truck camper all week at job sites for lunch and breaks. Everything will fail at some point and this was it. Fortunately I was there to catch it and resolve the problem.
I removed the hatch cover sliding it sideways out from the hinge for full access to all the old sealant and began removing all the old stuff. You can see in the video some of it removes easily and other parts a little more effort required. The easy areas had water under them. Using a painters scraper, I worked my way all around the opening removing and cleaning old sealant away and around the screw heads. When I finished scraping, I cleaned the area with lacquer thinner, a fast drying solvent, to remove residue and prepare the surfaces for good adhesion of the self leveling DICOR I applied to reseal the escape hatch. I went out and checked the repair at midnight and all was dry inside, mission accomplished, I have a happy truck camper again...

3 REPLIES 3

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:

I will still be replacing mine too, just not as immanent now. Yours looked a tiny bit more brutal than mine, much better now. I wonder if you used the can of gray stuff that cracked and failed on mine. Didn't go for clear though for your replacement. Take care

This is what I used to seal it with.
It said it was for aluminum roofs.
I did remove one rust screw. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
specta wrote:

Nice repair and thanks for the video.

Mine was in bad shape when I bought my camper so I replaced it with a new one. The new one was only $90 on Amazon.

I will still be replacing mine too, just not as immanent now. Yours looked a tiny bit more brutal than mine, much better now. I wonder if you used the can of gray stuff that cracked and failed on mine. Didn't go for clear though for your replacement. Take care

specta
Explorer
Explorer

Nice repair and thanks for the video.

Mine was in bad shape when I bought my camper so I replaced it with a new one. The new one was only $90 on Amazon.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.