cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wheel Bearing Grease

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using Lubriplate High Performance wheel bearing grease for years with good success. It's rated 0F to 400 F. My only complaint is that it doesn't seem as thick as other bearing greases. Any suggestions on a better one??
12 REPLIES 12

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
Page 53 here is one example. The Dexter website has links to many topics.

https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/default-source/default-document-library/light-duty-hubs-drums-and-be...

Thanks. Good info. This was what I was looking for.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Page 53 here is one example. The Dexter website has links to many topics.

https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/default-source/default-document-library/light-duty-hubs-drums-and-be...
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
Dexter has/had a list of "approved" greases in their manual. Some years back, I had an episode where the garage wanted to use one of the listed ones, but I checked it on-line and its viscosity rating was under Dexter's specs. Phoned Dexter and they said, "Oops, we will fix that list." They did.

Point being, you can get the actual specs for the grease and compare that with what Dexter (or other) requires in their specs.

Where does one find this "manual" you speak of? I have searched online and find no specific Dexter recommendations. Directions would be appreciated.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Any recently purchased commercially available axle grease that is approved for your application is fine. Some are better. No grease will perform well if it gets contaminated, if the bearings are overloaded, or incorrectly adjusted.

For the most part, if you follow the recommendation(s) in the appropriate manual, . . . . . . you'll be fine. Clean the bearings, repack/change the grease according to your owners manual or if you KNOW the bearings have been contaminated.

Read the published specs for your application and ignore the salesperson/internet.

Chum lee

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dexter has/had a list of "approved" greases in their manual. Some years back, I had an episode where the garage wanted to use one of the listed ones, but I checked it on-line and its viscosity rating was under Dexter's specs. Phoned Dexter and they said, "Oops, we will fix that list." They did.

Point being, you can get the actual specs for the grease and compare that with what Dexter (or other) requires in their specs.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
The grease you're using is fine. Mobil 1 Red Synthetic is another good one.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Using this for many years with zero issues.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

gbopp wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
If you've been using it for years with good success, why question your choice? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

X2!

PS: Next time set a timer on your smart phone, I do and set timer between 4 to 5 minutes depending on water pressure.

:h

Same thoughts... I THINK ( been known to be wrong) it would be to compare thickness?? see how long it takes to drip or run???
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
If you've been using it for years with good success, why question your choice? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

X2!

PS: Next time set a timer on your smart phone, I do and set timer between 4 to 5 minutes depending on water pressure.

:h

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use Mobil 1 but that Lubriplate 1552 should be just fine in all conditions.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:

X2!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"