cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Banging noise

thehippie
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2018 pacific coachworks fb29xl toy hauler. Sometimes I hear banging noise underneath. Not sure but the banging sound could come from any of the tanks but more likely the gas tank? Is that common? Is it bec from pressures? I have this sound ever since buying it. Anyone experienced this?
15 REPLIES 15

Admin
Admin
RV.net

thehippie
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
thehippie wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Gotta be a little more descriptive hippie.
huh?

Good grief....
The other posters have nailed down some potential causes for the "banging." But your original post left alot to question.
While parked, while driving, when hitting bumps, only when you n Mrs Hippie are gettin hippy, front, back, morning, night, after gas tanks are almost empty, only on Tuesdays?
That's what I was gettin at.
wow

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
thehippie wrote:
theboondork.com wrote:
"Well if you let your wife out of the basement." Now that's what I call funny.

theboondork.com
basement?

I'm glad you found it funny... that was the intent.

Basement.. + Outside storage (under the floor of the RV) of course I've never heard it called anything other than "Basement storage".
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
thehippie wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
huh?

Good grief....
The other posters have nailed down some potential causes for the "banging." But your original post left alot to question.
While parked, while driving, when hitting bumps, only when you n Mrs Hippie are gettin hippy, front, back, morning, night, after gas tanks are almost empty, only on Tuesdays?
That's what I was gettin at.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

thehippie
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
thehippie wrote:
I have a 2018 pacific coachworks fb29xl toy hauler. Sometimes I hear banging noise underneath. Not sure but the banging sound could come from any of the tanks but more likely the gas tank? Is that common? Is it bec from pressures? I have this sound ever since buying it. Anyone experienced this?

A very common sound from toy haulers comes from the fuel tanks. They are notorious for venting badly.

I have one tank for my generator and another for my fuel station. The gen doesn't draw fuel very quickly, so it doesn't usually bang. The fuel station will bang every time I pump gas out.

The solution is to crack both gas caps and leave them cracked to vent for the whole time you're camped. This especially helps if you have high temp swings since the fuel tanks aren't insulated if you have an enclosed belly.
thanks. Iโ€™ll try it next camp.

thehippie
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
huh?

dedmiston
thehippie wrote:

A very common sound from toy haulers comes from the fuel tanks. They are notorious for venting badly.

I have one tank for my generator and another for my fuel station. The gen doesn't draw fuel very quickly, so it doesn't usually bang. The fuel station will bang every time I pump gas out.

The solution is to crack both gas caps and leave them cracked to vent for the whole time you're camped. This especially helps if you have high temp swings since the fuel tanks aren't insulated if you have an enclosed belly.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

thehippie
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Well if you let the wife out of the basement......

Sorry no clue It is possible the fuel tank can bang, among other things. If the fuel tank builds up a vacuum and then it sucks air it can bang.

Various parts (Drive shaft, exhaust) can also bang and more.
wife? where?

thehippie
Explorer
Explorer
ejmorgan wrote:
Does the banging occur when the furnace is running, or shortly after the furnace turns off?

We have a 2014 Pacific Coachworks Powerlite 23FBX toy hauler travel trailer. We have an occasional bang occur while the furnace is active. I believe it is the sub-floor heater duct making the noise. The metal ducting expands as it heats up and makes a thumping or banging noise. After the furnace shuts down, the ducting begins cooling and makes another banging noise as it contracts. I just ignore it -- not worth the effort to fix it.

Ed
banging was more pronounced when the trailer was new. After a year, now, the noise isn't as prvalent but still nas those noises once in a while though.

thehippie
Explorer
Explorer
theboondork.com wrote:

theboondork.com
basement?

ejmorgan
Explorer
Explorer
Does the banging occur when the furnace is running, or shortly after the furnace turns off?

We have a 2014 Pacific Coachworks Powerlite 23FBX toy hauler travel trailer. We have an occasional bang occur while the furnace is active. I believe it is the sub-floor heater duct making the noise. The metal ducting expands as it heats up and makes a thumping or banging noise. After the furnace shuts down, the ducting begins cooling and makes another banging noise as it contracts. I just ignore it -- not worth the effort to fix it.

Ed
Ed and Susan Morgan
TT -- 2019 Northwood Nash 24M travel trailer
TV -- 2004 Ford E-350 Extended Van, 6.8L V10, 4-spd. Automatic OD, 3.73 rear axle.
Generator -- Onan 3600 LP

Photo -- Doran Beach in Bodega Bay, Ca.

theboondork_com
Explorer
Explorer

theboondork.com

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well if you let the wife out of the basement......

Sorry no clue It is possible the fuel tank can bang, among other things. If the fuel tank builds up a vacuum and then it sucks air it can bang.

Various parts (Drive shaft, exhaust) can also bang and more.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times