cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Glacier national park

leesan
Explorer
Explorer
Going next June to Glacier National park Please advise of all the campgrounds outside the park with full hookups which one would you recommend.We like to have at least some space between sites and if possible with trees or bushes to give us some kind of privacy . We travel with an autistic grandson so keep that in mind. Thank you
10 REPLIES 10

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Tap the RV Parks button at the top of this page and it will tell you all you need. If you want to pay the big bucks give the KOA a try. We stayed at the Rocky Mountain Hi park and it was nice without busting the budget.

I agree on Rocky Mountain High, we just spent 10 days there and were very satisfied. It was the best park we encountered and we were out 16 days. We have stayed in several RV parks around Kalispell over the years and Rocky Mountain was one of the best if not the very best. Price was reasonable, I think our 10 day rate was $360 with G.S. discount.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
The west side is more commercialized, so that will be your better bet for a FHU site. The KOA is nice, but expensive. Decent amount of spacing but from what I remember driving thru, not a lot of trees. If your grandson is verbal, somewhat social and can tolerate others, then it would probably be best.

It took two short trips with my step-son who has Asperger's to decide that camping wasn't his thing. After about 3 hours, his attitude would kick in and ruin it for the rest of us. Worked out for all that he doesn't go anymore.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

dedmiston
Mod's Note:

"Wrong" is not an acceptable response and borders on fighting words. I won't tolerate it as a response, whether the other person is mistaken or not. English is a rich language that offers abundant ways to disagree without being disagreeable.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Crodad wrote:
June may be a little early. Going to the Sun Road didn't open till July this year.

I drove west to east on Going To The Sun Road on June 28 it had opened the week before. Check here
https://www.krtv.com/news/montana-and-regional-news/2019/06/22/going-to-the-sun-road-now-entirely-open/

I've also been over it on Fathers Day week-end. Here's a site which lists opening and closing dates since 1933

https://www.nps.gov/glac/learn/news/upload/Logan-Pass-Open-Close-Dates_Press-Kit-6-26-2017.pdf

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
June may be a little early. Going to the Sun Road didn't open till July this year.
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARCOFLIDLAMSMTNVNMTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
suprz wrote:
Two Hands wrote:
The KOA near the west entrance is one of the nicest we have ever been in.

X2!! We were just there 2 weeks ago

X3! We loved the West Glacier KOA!

LibertyMan
Explorer
Explorer
The KOA on the west is nice and there are several other parks on the west side that offer FHU with some privacy. However, I believe the east side has the better hiking trails and views. The KOA on the east side is sparse in cover/vegetation though. One thing to also keep in mind, Going to the Sun Road has not opened until late June the last two years due to plowing. So no matter what side of the park you stay on, you may end of having to drive all the way around the south end to get to the other side if Going to the Sun Road is closed.
2019 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite
2016 Ram CCSB 2500 CTD
GenY Weight Distribution Hitch

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:

X2!! We were just there 2 weeks ago
Proud father of a US Marine

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Tap the RV Parks button at the top of this page and it will tell you all you need. If you want to pay the big bucks give the KOA a try. We stayed at the Rocky Mountain Hi park and it was nice without busting the budget.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE