cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blue Ox Tow bar for Jeep Wrangler JK

AbunFree
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 4-door, hard-top 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. According to the manual, the curb weight is ~4400 lbs.
We now need to purchase a tow bar, and heard that the Blue Ox is one of the best.
So, asking if anyone has recommendations on WHICH Blue ox Tow Bar kit to get?

Thanks!
Linda and Lisa
6 REPLIES 6

AbunFree
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for such good info and advice to consider. So much to learn! I'm seeing that we really need to get the RV first, before we decide on the tow bar. That will be in January, or soon after. This is a great forum!

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
One suggestion would be to contact all the tow bar makers and ask what height their baseplate hookup point is off the ground. Then measure your motorhome receiver point and get the most level one you can find.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed several Wranglers and CJs (and a Datsun pickup) with a Reese stiff-arm adjustable width towbar ($165 at Walmart the last time I looked) for many years. In spite of the doom and gloom from the telescoping arm aficionados, it has worked just fine for me, I even hook it up by myself!
Several years ago, I bought a Roadmaster telescoping towbar (6000 lb. capacity) to tow a Dodge 1500 pickup. Never did like that thing. When I got another Jeep, I went back to the Reese towbar.
It simply works for me.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Same jeep using a Demco Aluminator tow bar. Have been using this tow bar for 16 years and two wranglers so far without a single issue. For base plate I just changed bumpers

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
We've used a Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar for the past 11 years now, towing a smart car (talk about overkill!). A couple of weeks ago we traded the smart car in on a 2017 Wrangler JKU Sport. After doing a bunch of research we decided to forego the Blue Ox and go with a Ready Brute Elite tow bar/brake system. I just finished installing everything on the Jeep, and we're waiting to get the motorhome back from some repair work so I can mate the two vehicles together. We still stayed with a Blue Ox base plate simply because we are familiar with it.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 10,000 pound blue ox tow bar. Itโ€™s the third one Iโ€™ve had in about 20 years. Have always had a bar with that rating simply because Iโ€™d rather be over than under. Safer than sorry, etc. besides not that much difference in cost. I tow a 4 door Jeep Wrangler now and previously towed a pick up truck that weighed something under 6,000 pounds.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler