cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing bed rail nuts

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the bed of my truck today getting ready for a trip. I step on one of the carriage bolts that attaches the bed rails to the under-bed frame mount and it sounds loose. I go under the truck and start checking the rail nuts and two of the carriage bolts have lost their washers and nuts. Those are the last bolts/nuts I thought I'd ever have any trouble with. No telling how long they've been like that. Hitch has been in the truck 6 years.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE
7 REPLIES 7

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
OP, you made me look. I'm good. Thanks for the heads-up.

Tim_Nowicki
Explorer
Explorer
got nylocks on mine. Generally never come loose

Tim

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Part of the yearly check of items is all the bolts on the 5er hitch and rail mounts. Additionally, you need to check all of the plumbing connections in the trailer, then all of the electrical connections.

Running down the road, you are subjecting the RV to a Category 1 hurricane and an earthquake all at the same time, so things shake loose.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Lock tite is good, a spot of weld is forever.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
The rest had lock washers and were tight. I guess it pays to check them periodically.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
And maybe add a dab of Lock-Tite.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Were the nuts that were still there locking nuts? If not, you might replace them all.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk