cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

skylight/sunroof. clear, cloud, or smoke.

HappyjackGum
Explorer
Explorer
I'm redoing my roof and I'm replacing the sunroof/skylight.
or current one is smoke and it is always dark and depressing in the trailer. Well my wife convinced me to buy clear this time, which I did. well I'm starting to second guess my purchase. My wife says if it sucks we can Always paint it or shove ssomething into the dome to damper the light or sun rays.

Has anyone had a good or bad experience installing/using a clear skylight?
14 REPLIES 14

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced one of mine with a metal one. It will outlast the TT.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

solismaris
Explorer
Explorer
When I needed a replacement for the crappy OEM light that crumbled in 5 years the clear was warranted for 1 year and the cloud was warranted for I think 5 years. Apparently the clear model lacks much UV protection. I don't know if all manufacturers are the same but it was the deciding factor for me. I really wanted clear but didn't want to have to repeat the rather involved installation in a few years.
David Kojen

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
deltabravo wrote:
HappyjackGum wrote:

All of the Northwood RVs that have skylights, have clear one. That's Nash, Fox Mountain, Wolf Creek and Arctic Fox (trailers, 5th wheels and truck campers).

I've never heard people complain about them being clear.

I painted the one in our bedroom of our 27-5l black and then topped it with white. We want the bedroom dark, so we can sleep in later than sunrise.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
mordecai81 wrote:
I used white PlastiDip spray on our clear skylights. Still let's in a lot of light but knocks down the harshness.

I did the same thing to both skylights in my Arctic Fox truck camper about a month ago.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
HappyjackGum wrote:

All of the Northwood RVs that have skylights, have clear one. That's Nash, Fox Mountain, Wolf Creek and Arctic Fox (trailers, 5th wheels and truck campers).

I've never heard people complain about them being clear.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Irdew
Explorer
Explorer
If your thinking of going to Alaska get the smoke one, its daylight all night. Hard to sleep with a clear one.

Powertour
Explorer
Explorer
Krylon Fusion rattle can in white. $5 & 10min of your time = done.

I live in an extreme hot climate & even with having a factory smoke skylight the heat coming thru was BRUTAL. A few min of my time with the spray paint & *boom*, orders of magnitude cooler.
2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
We switched from a white skylight to a clear one in our bathroom. It let a lot of HEAT in with the sunlight.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

mordecai81
Explorer
Explorer
I used white PlastiDip spray on our clear skylights. Still let's in a lot of light but knocks down the harshness.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
You can always paint it white, using a Rustoleum rattle can for plastic paint. It is also a UV protectant. The white paint will still let some light in.

Jerry

HappyjackGum
Explorer
Explorer
salem wrote:
The one over the bed is smoke, the one in the living area is white.

white or clear?

salem
Explorer
Explorer
The one over the bed is smoke, the one in the living area is white.

HappyjackGum
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
You can also just apply automotive tint, comes in various transmission levels from 70% to 5%, though 50% and 35% are the most common.

too true. that is what she was thinking.

Someday I will be able to think for myself.
Thank you

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can also just apply automotive tint, comes in various transmission levels from 70% to 5%, though 50% and 35% are the most common.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH