Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new ?’s: options on custom order 2020 Ford F-350 6.2L gas

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
?’s about options on a custom order 2020 Ford F-350 6.2L gasser

After a bunch of research and great info found here.... 🙂

I have a couple *new* questions (below) but for clarity - the truck we are about to order (for our forthcoming, always mounted pop-up truck camper) is listed at the very bottom. This is our first ever truck purchase. Please be kind to us newbies. 🙂

so - do we want these following items that we are unsure on?

Unsure if we want the (approx $500) 5th-Wheel/Gooseneck Trailer Tow Prep Package (4X4) as I need to check with Pop Up Truck Camper manufacturer if we need the One (1) integrated 7-pin connector on driver's side pickup bed wall

Unsure if we want the (approx $1,000) Adaptive Steering System - Thoughts? “At lower speeds, the steering ratio decreases, requiring fewer turns of the steering wheel — and less steering effort. At higher speeds, the steering ratio gradually increases, producing a steering feel that is firmer and more controlled.”

Unsure if we want the BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-traffic Alert and Trailer Tow (approx $540) as I believe the width of the pop up truck camper will block the BLIS sensors, and make those little yellow lights always on. An owner of pop up camper made by same company, with a similar Ford, said his BLIS lights were always on when the camper was in the bed.

Unsure if we want the Exterior Backup Alarm. I hear it is as loud as heck, so would annoy neighbors at campsites, but it is a huge truck, and we will have to back out of our driveway, with big hedge up to sidewalk… …. I would never want to hit anyone! 😕 TBD

Unsure if we want the Black Hood Defector. (about $130)

Any info as to if the LED Headlamps/Taillamps (2019 = $1k option) will be standard on the 2020 Lariat? I hear rumors of YES. 🙂

Unsure if we want the “Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System” ($1,000) to get the included “Customer-Placed Trailer Camera” (we would place it on the camper rear)
“customer-placed camera will provide a helpful view of what’s behind your trailer. Prep kit includes camera and wiring.

Unsure if we want the (approx $325) Wheel Well Liner - Front/Rear
Washing off the midwest road salt off the underside of the truck (at home) might be harder with these wheel well liners in place…. thoughts?

Running boards - i hear a lot of talk of rusting running boards. Thoughts on aftermarket ones that wont rust (we are in the midwest)?

THIS IS THE TRUCK WE ARE CUSTOM ORDERING:

2020, Ford F-350 , 8’ box-
6.2L V8 gasser, Single Rear Wheel (SRW) 4x4,
Rear Axle Ratio: 4.30 with Electronic Locking
11,4000 GVWR Package
(this GVWR means the tires change to LT275/70Rx18E BSW A/T, 4x4 Tires - at least in 2019….)
Camper Package (for sure, as we are getting a camper)
176” wheelbase (the longest possible)
10 speed transmission (new)
Lariat.
Crew cab (5 seater, with front center console)
Skid plates a la carte (not the FX4 package as the FX4 shocks are lousy)
Definitely want to include the Lariat VALUE PACKAGE (about $700) to get: “easy entry/exit memory driver’s seat, ….. power-adjustable pedals with memory, power heated/cooled driver and passenger seats with driver’s side memory, PowerScope® trailer tow mirrors with memory, and Remote Start System.”
Power Equipment Group - should be included in 2020 Lariat. We’ll need to double check. 🙂
(Don’t want the $2,000 Tow *Technology* package - we dont need those things as we hate towing and will *never* tow)
we want the Alternator - “Extra Extra Heavy-Duty” (approx $85)
we want the Engine Block Heater (about $100)
we do want the LED Roof Marker/Clearance Lamps (about $95)
we do want the (2nd) Medium Duty Battery (about $210) - this adds a 2nd battery.
We want the FIXED GLASS rear window. We do NOT want the Power sliding window (unless it is included no charge)
We do want the "Skid Plates - Transfer Case and Fuel Tank” (about $100) but NOT the cheesy FX4 package. (those shocks are lousy)
PowerScope® Telescoping Trailer Tow Mirrors are supposedly included. We want these for sure.
Tires included are: LT275/70Rx18E BSW A/T
Black Leather interior. (40/console/40 split bench seat)
Yes we want to get the Adaptive Cruise Control and Collision Warning with Brake Support. (may be included in 2020 Lariat)
We will do aftermarket 3rd party floor mats, and keep the stock carpeting.
we want “Inflatable Rear Outboard Safety Belts (Crew Cab®)” (about $200 (if available - heard rumors they are not available for 2020)
We want the “Universal Garage Door Opener” ($125)
We want the “Upfitter switches” ($165)

For a 2019 - List price at ford.com built this way is basically $62k. (plus tax, etc)

thanks!! 🙂
37 REPLIES 37

WyoBull
Explorer
Explorer
Wheel well liners are a definite yes - they provide protection and also make the truck look complete. Just look at one with them and one without and you will see what I mean.

5th wheel/gooseneck prep kit is a definite yes - even if you never use it, it will help at resale time and the cost to get it from the factory is cheap compared to having it done aftermarket. You may not want it but the next buyer probably will.

I went with the XLT Premium package because I was trying to maximize my payload but if all you are hauling is a pop up camper then that is not a big concern. It has all of the amenities I really care about and none of the foofoo ones I would never use. My previous F250 was a Lariat and I did not use a lot of the things it came with on a regular enough basis to want to have it again.

Adaptive steering, BLIS, etc. for me are not necessary items. I like the back up camera (when I don't have the camper on since it is in the tailgate) and that is good enough for me.

I had an F250 with the 6.2 and 4.30 gears whereas my F350 I drive now (truck in signature) has the 6.2 with 3.73 rear end and to be honest, I am not unhappy at all with the 3.73's. Since you are ordering the truck, get the 4.30's but since I have had both, don't believe the rhetoric about how huge the difference is between the two because it is not that big.
2017 Ford F350 XLT Premium CCSB 4x4 6.2 gas 3.73 rear end, 4226 lbs payload
2017 Northern Lite QC 8.11 SE
Torklift tie downs, Torklift Fast Guns, Torklift Upper Stableloads, Airlift 5000 Ultimate air bags, Airlift WirelessAIR onboard compressor system

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Husky mats are better then Weathertech these days. no question.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
I like the WeatherTech, but have no knowledge of Husky. As I recall, a different version was required for the carpetless truck. All wife approved of course.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I have the WeatherTech mats and they are ok but Husky mats are better.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
stevenal wrote:
Consider deleting the carpet. You still get all the padding, but no more carpet stains. We put WeatherTech mats on top. Our truck came with painted aluminum skin in the rear wheel well area. I put Ford liners in.

Very good thing to think about.... i'll check with my better 1/2. :B

You happy with the Weather Tech mats? I was actually thinking of getting them anyway. :B

we are in the midwest, so plenty of rain, mud, snow, dirt etc.

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Consider deleting the carpet. You still get all the padding, but no more carpet stains. We put WeatherTech mats on top. Our truck came with painted aluminum skin in the rear wheel well area. I put Ford liners in.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
The answer I would look for is
"would you spend $3000 for new radar when original fails a week after warranty expires?"
The telescopic mirrors on my dually are too short for my TC. I live with them, but not with comfort.

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
mbloof wrote:
I have "adaptive cruze control" on my Ford Escape. One of my favorite features.

That sure can be handy on long commute drive, but I see not much use for it when I drive with camper. Usually I am the slowest one and I always avoid rush hours for driving.
Choosing expensive options is not easy process, so may I suggest making a chart with members voting like
---use it a lot --- seldom use---- don't use at all.

I wish my 2017 Lariat had it. It comes in handy anytime there is traffic and your not alone on the highway.

It does have the power telescoping mirrors. (and they are heated)

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
mbloof wrote:

That sure can be handy on long commute drive, but I see not much use for it when I drive with camper. Usually I am the slowest one and I always avoid rush hours for driving.
Choosing expensive options is not easy process, so may I suggest making a chart with members voting like
---use it a lot --- seldom use---- don't use at all.

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Again, get what you want, but they definitely aren't using the exact same 10 speed transmission and transmission tuning that they used in the smaller lighter vehicles. As you quoted the transmission is all new. Ford is actually going back to an earlier engine design for the 7.3.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you don't trust Ford with new design engine, but you trust Ford with new radar technology?
When it is not easy choice, the radars exist on Mercedes for close to 10 years and still don't have good reliability records. Especially in rust belts.

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
But, what again are the 2020 safety features? Are you talking about the drive assist technology?..... Begs the question, you are ok with brand new driver assist technologies and transmission, but not brand new engine ... hmm. Just something to think about, but as I said, as long as you are happy that’s all that matters.

The timing works out best for us to get a truck in early 2020, so that is why we are ordering one now, for delivery early 2020.

The 'trickle down' features that i'm happy to have will be pasted below.

I have seen conflicting info, but as far as I can tell.... on the F350 they will *all* have the new 10 speed transmission... and the 6 speed wont be available on the F350, so I have no choice in the matter.... so it is out of my hands.

So yes, I want the safety features, and yes I want the 10 speed.

According to some sources - The 10 speed isn't new to Ford - it has been on some F150 for a while. Having said that... some other info on the web suggests that it IS a new 10 speed transmission....

however it doesnt matter.... i am forced to get the 10 speed transmission, as we decided to get a 2020...so the decision is out of my hands.

and as I said - many, many people (including my trusted mechanic) have encouraged me to never buy the first year of an engine, made by anyone.

and about the safety features - I quote current from the internet:

"Safety and Driver Assist Systems (info from august 2019) (2020 Super Duty) The basic XL trim has automatic emergency braking, forward collision warning, blind spot warning, and rear cross traffic alert optional. These features are standard on XLT trim and above. Adaptive cruise control is optional starting on Lariat and standard on Platinum and Limited. "

and I quote some info about the transmission:

"10-Speed TorqShift Transmission
Almost all 7.3-liter and Power Stroke commercial applications will use the new 10-speed transmission, the exceptions being the medium duty (F-650/750), stripped chassis (F-53/59), and E-Series (E-350/450) chassis applications, which stick with a heavy-duty six-speed. As we noted in February, these Super Duty applications use the largest of three size offerings, and now we can note that it's roughly 25 percent longer and 17 percent bigger around. It features a new-spec automatic transmission fluid validated for a 150,000-mile change interval. The ratios differ very little from those in the F-150 and include three overdrive gears. On commercial vehicles, there's a fuel-saving feature that selects neutral any time the vehicle is at a stop with the brake applied (think of it as auto-stop/start for transmissions). Gas and diesel fitments differ slightly, with the diesel getting a reinforced torque converter, an extra clutch element in two gears, and a fourth planet gear on the output carrier."

anyone can google search the above quoted text to find sources.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg1 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

He lives in the Midwest.

I guess the "Los Angeles" handle gave you the clue?

Nope, it was my keen telepathical ability......and the multiple posts where he’s said that and talked about sub zero temperatures in the winter.

And 2017 was not the first year Super duty’s got TPMS. My 2012 had it and I’d imagine it was added the same time the NHSTA mandated it for all light vehicles. 2008 iirc.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold