cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new generator time

bobbin_nail
Explorer
Explorer
We need to replace a 5000 watt, 2 phase, Onan generator in our class A. Will y'all please make some suggestions for where we should be shopping? thanks, BCNU
18 REPLIES 18

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobbin nail wrote:
camperdave wrote:
What happened to it? I know it's not what you asked, but just curious what happened that would make replacing cheaper than repairing.
Well Camper Dave, It no longer will run both A/C and often not even one. We haven't found anyone here in N.Texas to work on one. It is 21 years old and when working perfect...it was loud! thanks for listing to my rant.

It sounds like you have three reasons for wanting to replace it:
1) It doesn't run the AC's
2) It is 21 years old
3) It is LOUD!

I would start by putting some test loads on it and making sure that the generator is really the problem even though it sounds like you want to replace regardless. Knowing whether the generator works to specs will give you an idea of how much really needs to be done. You can check the load can either a clamp on AC ampmeter to read the currents or if you have enough circuits to put on 3 or 4 known loads like a portable heaters. A couple of Kill-a-watt units would monitor the heaters but could be fried by an air conditioner.

I am not sure how you would know how well a used one would address any of the issues, that is something that you would have to figure out. If buying new I would seriously consider springing for an inverter generator though I can understand not wanting to spend that much on a motorhome old enough to be carrying a 21 year old generator.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Now a question for Bobbin Nail and husband.

Does the engine part run and it does not make electric that works?

Or does the engine not run or starts and quits?

If it is the first, call around to shops that repair electric motors. The machine attached is just an electric motor being pushed. (OK, it may have so controls, but they should still understand what they are.

If it is the second, then call small engine shops. Onan engines are used on many small things like the giant mowers and little diggers.

Good Luck.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
bobbin nail wrote:
MountainAir05 wrote:
You sure that is not just a single phase system. Have not seen one that small with 2 phase. As stated find something close that has good shipping if possible.
Husband sez he is sure it's a 2 phase. thanks

And I am sure it is NOT 2 phase.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
If it was me, I would look for one of the newer induction generators from Oman and other manufactures. Much quieter as only operate at the speed required for the load. Small or no load it just idles. Speeds up to handle proportionally heavier loads.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Trust us, it isn't 2 phase but it's a common misconception.
Hubbby may think your house is 2 phase as well but it isn't.
They're single, split phase.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
bobbin nail wrote:
We need to replace a 5000 watt, 2 phase, ...

No such thing as a "2 phase". Likely it is a 240V split phase. Yes, it has two 120V "legs".

Most of the Onan RV generators are dual wound 120V units with both outputs in phase. Some can be fairly easily rewired for 240 split, some can't without some serious surgery.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
bobbin nail wrote:
We need to replace a 5000 watt, 2 phase, ...

No such thing as a "2 phase". Likely it is a 240V split phase. Yes, it has two 120V "legs".

bobbin_nail
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Check Craigslist. You will often find used ones on them from RV's being totaled/scrapped.
Will check this out, thanks

bobbin_nail
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05 wrote:
You sure that is not just a single phase system. Have not seen one that small with 2 phase. As stated find something close that has good shipping if possible.
Husband sez he is sure it's a 2 phase. thanks

bobbin_nail
Explorer
Explorer
camperdave wrote:
What happened to it? I know it's not what you asked, but just curious what happened that would make replacing cheaper than repairing.
Well Camper Dave, It no longer will run both A/C and often not even one. We haven't found anyone here in N.Texas to work on one. It is 21 years old and when working perfect...it was loud! thanks for listing to my rant.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Check Craigslist. You will often find used ones on them from RV's being totaled/scrapped.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://generators.visonerv.com/cgi-bin/f/onangeneratorsforsale.pl?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most ONAN RV generators are single phase 2 branch. (Both legs same)

I do know Onan makes 120/240 volt generators (I have worked on one) but I've not seen one in RV use (The one I worked on was a soft serve ice cream truck).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v