cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newer RVs....ugh

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, after reading a few post here lately about quality issues I SURE am glad I have no interest in a new RV. We currently have 2 livin lites, a 2013 TC and a 2016 21RBS tt. I know some folks here have 2 rvs and enjoy what both has to offer. Presently DH wants to sell the TC but I love that thing and he enjoys the tt. Soooo we shall see, like the motto sez, happy wife, happy life! LOL! Have a great weekend!
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.
21 REPLIES 21

run100
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Estimated 1700 nights & certainly well over 100,000 miles on our late 2007 Alpenlite. Never spent a night at a repair place. New fridge, new A/C, various wear items replaced by it's owner/repair guy. Never a thought of replacing it.

Alpenlite (aka: Western RV) made a true quality product. It was sad to see them go under.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Well, you know what they say: "73% of statistics are made up on the spot".

Sorry but that is only 68% true

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Working at an RV service center, and also doing pre-buy inspections on the side, I've seen a decrease in the overall quality of the entry level units. Poor manufacturing is mostly to blame, not just on the RVs but also on the appliances. We probably sold 30 AC units this summer, half of them going on 2-5 year old units.

But Grit has hit on what I believe is 50% of the problem. I'm constantly amazed by how much RV owners don't know about their units. Some of this can be attributed to new owners, but even seasoned owners are making some pretty dumb mistakes. In fact, a good portion of my inspection business is "I just bought this RV and I have no idea how it works".
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Obvious build quality issues is one thing, and disappointing for sure, for the many that spend a lot of money in RVs.
But care, storage and upkeep are likely as big an issue as quality. But not too many would admit to neglecting their RV even though, based on the large numbers of them we all see everywhere that sit out in the sun, rain and snow all year round, many do neglect them.
No different than any other "toy" or vehicle. Sure your _______(fill in the blank) can handle a trip to the desert or getting soaking wet or packed full of snow, mud or slush, but subject to those conditions constantly, they deteriorate much quicker than things that are well cared for.
Sometimes it's intentional, and expected. Part of the job so to speak, but more often it's folks that just don't care for their stuff and then wonder why it doesn't last, often comparing it to a similar machine they see that is in much better shape.
Those that tout the good quality of something are more likely the folks that take care of their stuff and those that tout the poor quality are more likely the opposite.
Does t mean there aren't defects and some poor quality stuff out there but even the poor quality stiff would last much longer with more effort in caring for it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
On the other side, Power, with a new RV you can manage the maintenance without guessing what wasnโ€™t done.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Horsedoc wrote:
PAThwacker wrote:
Most campers made are delamninating before they reach the dealer. The junk single axle garbage trailer dominating the newbies are ready to self destruct this winter.

Interesting. Where did you glean this amazing information? Especially like to hear about the "most"

He sort of makes a point. A lot of those small single axle rigs @ $12K, and the stick and tin bunkhouses @ 16K and up, are absolute garbage. This winter maybe not, but I would doubt they make 5 years, and no delam possibility to worry about. Seen all sorts of junk up in Hershey the other week, and plenty of folks falling for it. Lots of advertising to finance $20K or so for 120 or 144 months. What a deal?

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
lap527 wrote:
Wow, after reading a few post here lately about quality issues I SURE am glad I have no interest in a new RV. We currently have 2 livin lites, a 2013 TC and a 2016 21RBS tt. I know some folks here have 2 rvs and enjoy what both has to offer. Presently DH wants to sell the TC but I love that thing and he enjoys the tt. Soooo we shall see, like the motto sez, happy wife, happy life! LOL! Have a great weekend!

Start of second year I owned my present trailer I noticed the front face starting to de-lam, went on roof and found a obvious roof seam had popped. Took it back to the dealership, they replace the whole front face of the trailer.everything covered under the 2 year warranty. Got the trailer back in 4 days. Never a problem since.

Hoping to bridge my present truck and TT for another few years before our next RV. Everything long since paid for. :C

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Horsedoc wrote:
PAThwacker wrote:
Most campers made are delamninating before they reach the dealer. The junk single axle garbage trailer dominating the newbies are ready to self destruct this winter.

Interesting. Where did you glean this amazing information? Especially like to hear about the "most"
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
PAThwacker wrote:

horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
TurnThePage wrote:
If we keep buying them, I guess we're telling the manufacturers it's OK.

Hmmm

Manufacturers will make them "good enough". Few people are willing to pay the higher price for better quality. Price sells for a recreational product.

I happened to buy mine at the right time, and yes I've had to fix and replace some items, and it's going back to the dealer to fix some other things too, but it is what it is.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Right now, it really seems that despite some cheap parts here and there, the worst problem is the basic assembly of the units. Flimsy "this and thats" can be tolerated if they're properly installed and secured. The plumbing is strong enough for anything the average Joe can throw at it IF it's installed properly. The dreaded rubber roof will be fine for most users for length of its 10 or more year warranty IF it's installed and sealed the way it should be. Water leaks, which are probably the ultimate bane for most of these boxy RVs, are almost always due to lousy construction/assembly.

I was waiting for the next economic downturn to buy an RV, expecting the work force to lean out the riffraff. But, in retrospect, it seems like the last down turn is when the weak frames and construction practices (no real supports under the holding tanks for instance) became common.

If we keep buying them, I guess we're telling the manufacturers it's OK.

Hmmm
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

js218
Explorer
Explorer
Roughly 1050 nights and 158,325 miles.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Estimated 1700 nights & certainly well over 100,000 miles on our late 2007 Alpenlite. Never spent a night at a repair place. New fridge, new A/C, various wear items replaced by it's owner/repair guy. Never a thought of replacing it.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995