Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Will fifth wheel front hit truck back window?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels
Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Will fifth wheel front hit truck back window?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/19 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're worried about it now, you will always be worried about it. Get an auto-slider and all the worry goes away. Think of it as insurance.
Your options are-
1. Standard non-sliding hitch that might allow the trailer to break the rear window and or damage the cab. Around $1,000.
2. Manual slider that will prevent damage to the truck IF you have a place you can pull over and take the time to slide it back before entering that tight fuel stop. Oh and don't forget to put it back in travel mode after you leave the fuel stop. Probably around the same money as #1.
3. Auto-slider. Works every time whether you are paying attention or not (to some extent). Around $2500 - $3,000 installed.
Using 1 or 2 and making that one mistake..... $3,000 to $5,000 in damage to your truck plus the cost of the new auto-slider you will now purchase.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/19 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIM, lets not get practical here. [emoticon]

Come 1 Oct I am slamming the king pin into that trashy ole Reese hitch in the back of my short box Ford and heading for the east coast.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/19 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two Hands wrote:

I think I would certainly find out. Go out into a large parking lot and slowly start making tighter and tighter turns while keeping a close eye on the front cap of your fifth wheel. You will then know for sure.

IMHO, a much better plan would be use a tape measure, get the distance back of cab to center of 5th wheel. Next, measure width of cab at the height of nose of trailer. Now a piece of string, tie a loop large enough to fit around the king-pin in the end. Pull the loop straight, and measure the first measurement down the string, and put a clip on the string. Put loop around king-pin, with string in front of trailer, then move to side until clip gets t