cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will fifth wheel front hit truck back window?

Kootenayguy
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. This question applies to anyone with a 2008 or newer Canadian built Citation Supreme or Corsair Excella 5th wheel. These units have a rounded front and not a flat front. I have a Dodge Ram with a 6'4" box and a B & W Companion fixed (not slider) 5th wheel hitch mounted in the usual position between the wheel wells. Will the front of one of these 5th wheels hit the rear window of the truck on a hard turn? I'm thinking because of the rounded front of the 5th wheel I may be safe. Thanks
27 REPLIES 27

big_bird_2
Explorer
Explorer
If I am on level ground, NO; if I am pulling out of a driveway, YES. I know that for sure.
Big Bird 2

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a slider hitch and have never used it. I'm careful in extreme turning however and so far no accidents. Go to a parking lot with an assistant and see how far you can turn.

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
If you're worried about it now, you will always be worried about it. Get an auto-slider and all the worry goes away. Think of it as insurance.

Good advice.

Did just that 16 years ago.

2 fifth wheels later still no worry.

Jackknifing on a level surface may be ok.

See how fast you lose clearance jackknifing up an incline.

Even if not needed for current 5er, might be for next one.

Insurance= Pullrite Superglide

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:

Then hope you always camp on flat ground where the trailer or truck will not tilt or pitch

True dat! Same thoughts apply to testing in a parking lot. But, if the OP was to do the measurements from where the hitch will be located, he can see the limit before he drops the coin for any hitch...

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
JRscooby wrote:
Two Hands wrote:
I think I would certainly find out. Go out into a large parking lot and slowly start making tighter and tighter turns while keeping a close eye on the front cap of your fifth wheel. You will then know for sure.

IMHO, a much better plan would be use a tape measure, get the distance back of cab to center of 5th wheel. Next, measure width of cab at the height of nose of trailer. Now a piece of string, tie a loop large enough to fit around the king-pin in the end. Pull the loop straight, and measure the first measurement down the string, and put a clip on the string. Put loop around king-pin, with string in front of trailer, then move to side until clip gets to front of trailer, make a mark. Measure from that mark, back toward center half the width of cab, that is where it will contact.

Then hope you always camp on flat ground where the trailer or truck will not tilt or pitch
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two Hands wrote:
I think I would certainly find out. Go out into a large parking lot and slowly start making tighter and tighter turns while keeping a close eye on the front cap of your fifth wheel. You will then know for sure.

IMHO, a much better plan would be use a tape measure, get the distance back of cab to center of 5th wheel. Next, measure width of cab at the height of nose of trailer. Now a piece of string, tie a loop large enough to fit around the king-pin in the end. Pull the loop straight, and measure the first measurement down the string, and put a clip on the string. Put loop around king-pin, with string in front of trailer, then move to side until clip gets to front of trailer, make a mark. Measure from that mark, back toward center half the width of cab, that is where it will contact.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
JIM, lets not get practical here. 😉

Come 1 Oct I am slamming the king pin into that trashy ole Reese hitch in the back of my short box Ford and heading for the east coast.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you're worried about it now, you will always be worried about it. Get an auto-slider and all the worry goes away. Think of it as insurance.
Your options are-
1. Standard non-sliding hitch that might allow the trailer to break the rear window and or damage the cab. Around $1,000.
2. Manual slider that will prevent damage to the truck IF you have a place you can pull over and take the time to slide it back before entering that tight fuel stop. Oh and don't forget to put it back in travel mode after you leave the fuel stop. Probably around the same money as #1.
3. Auto-slider. Works every time whether you are paying attention or not (to some extent). Around $2500 - $3,000 installed.
Using 1 or 2 and making that one mistake..... $3,000 to $5,000 in damage to your truck plus the cost of the new auto-slider you will now purchase.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
op wrote:
I have a Dodge Ram with a 6'4" box and a B & W Companion fixed (not slider) 5th wheel hitch mounted in the usual position between the wheel wells. Will the front of one of these 5th wheels hit the rear window of the truck on a hard turn? I'm thinking because of the rounded front of the 5th wheel I may be safe. Thanks

Lots of histeria about short bed cab/5er corner contact when it fact its rare....but it can happen.
We've had new members on various rv websites before ask will my 5er contact my GM short bed truck. They got the usual gotta' have a slider from many who had no idea but read some where you gotta' have a slider. Anywayz some bought the more expensive Superglide auto slider. After a year or so of camping with other short bed GM owners that had no sliding hitch they questioned their choice. Some kept them and others sold them and went with a lighter hitch with much less maintenance. My sons '18 short bed chevy crew cab and a 5er with rounded corners which has 5"-7" of clearance at the shortest point in a turn on any angle.
No one can tell you if your combo will contact. I would try the std hitch first and if it comes 2"-3" at the closest point while backing then I would be interested in some type of sliding hitch or different pin box like the Reese Sidewinder.

GM has the longest C/A (cab to axle) dimension at
..41.26"....
Ford at 39."....
Dodge/Ram at 37.4".

Use what you have and if it doesn't work ...then spend your bucks on one that works best.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Reading all the stories and wanting to make life easy, I installed the Pullrite 2700 automatic slider for my short bed. I do not ant to think about turning backing up and having an issue. The Truck cost alot, the fiver cost alot so for the difference of few hundred bucks to connect the two, wasn't the place to hold back. My first season and having been out 6 times it was a goo choice for me.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Kootenayguy wrote:
Hi. This question applies to anyone with a 2008 or newer Canadian built Citation Supreme or Corsair Excella 5th wheel. These units have a rounded front and not a flat front. I have a Dodge Ram with a 6'4" box and a B & W Companion fixed (not slider) 5th wheel hitch mounted in the usual position between the wheel wells. Will the front of one of these 5th wheels hit the rear window of the truck on a hard turn? I'm thinking because of the rounded front of the 5th wheel I may be safe. Thanks

After reading the replies:

1. Roll the dice with a test or whatever suggestion/s you like.

2. Shouldn't be any big deal - you paid how much for your truck & trailer - why cheap out...:h
Buy either a manual or auto slider..:W

~

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Kootenayguy wrote:

Simple answer; ALL will hit when backing up...at some point. SOME will hit going forward. A slider will almost always keep you from hitting going forward and give you more room before you WILL hit in reverse.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
OP, I have the exact combo you are speaking of, although I don’t have a B&W hitch, but rather the Ram 20k slider, which is actually a Curt.

Going forward is not a problem, as is backing up for the majority of the time. There was a time when I was backing the trailer into my back yard, which is quite tight with poor visibility due to a large hedge. I was cut a bit sharper than normal when I heard this strange noise; I pulled ahead real quick when I realized that the front cap on the fiver was touching the back window of the truck!

It does take quite a sharp cut to do this, so I try to avoid cutting that sharp not only for that reason, but it is also quite hard on the trailer’s undercarriage. I do have the slider hitch so I have slid it back a couple of times as a precaution, but I try to avoid it because it is a PITA to do.

I hope that answers your question; if you have any more let me know. 🙂
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Two Hands wrote:

It's not as simple as checking/testing on a flat parking lot.
If the ground is uneven the trailer or truck could pitch or tilt and create contact in a close turn situation.

^^This

Many a truck owner with a busted window and dented cab has come to a message board in disbelief because they did the whole parking lot thing and it still hit. A small uneven surface on the wrong side is greatly magnified and the trailer goes through your window. The parking lot thing is fine to get a general idea but you still have to watch out.