Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Hopper receiver with hitchhiker dish
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

 > Hopper receiver with hitchhiker dish

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Kevarino

No Cal

New Member

Joined: 08/21/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/19/19 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a new RV that has a hitchhiker dish installed. I brought my hopper receiver and it never sees the dish. The tech in the dealership said the dish is getting power and sees a signal at the end of the cable.

My setup at home, where the hopper originated, has a set up with 2 satellites. I was just wondering if I had to do a configuration change to let it see one dish instead of looking for the 2 that were originally set up.


Kevin and Barbara
2007 Winnebago Tour 40 TD
Cummings ISL 400

2oldman

Ca

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/19/19 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Google might know. "Hopper can't see dish"

Second Chance

Wherever...

Senior Member

Joined: 07/23/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/19/19 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

According to Dish, the Hopper is not compatible with any of the portable antennas (with the exception of the Winegard Trav'ler).

Rob


U.S. Army retired
2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes, LR G tires
PullRite OE 18K, Demco Glide Ride pin box
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015


Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

Senior Member

Joined: 10/07/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/19/19 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second Chance wrote:

According to Dish, the Hopper is not compatible with any of the portable antennas (with the exception of the Winegard Trav'ler).

Rob

And the Trav'ler is a permanent RV rooftop installation, not portable. Hoppers are not compatible with any of the portable or roof mounted dome style single LNB dishes, but work quite well with manually aimed compatible portable tripod mounted residential multi-LNB dishes.


Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate


Big Katuna

Deland, FL

Senior Member

Joined: 12/27/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/19/19 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need a Wally or a 211z.


My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 12/16/2001

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 09/19/19 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Vip211z is the most versatile receiver Dish around right now. You should be able to find on Craig's List for under $40. You can add an external hard drive and make it into a DVR (there's $40 lifetime charge to enable that feature but you may be able to get Dish to comp that cost). It tunes Over The Air (OTA) channels and can put those shows on the DVR too. It has outputs for component video, RF coax and HDMI. I've got one at the house and keep another on the MH ($7/month) - bought them both off CL. I bought a Wally only to find out the only output is one HDMI port, the OTA tuner must be purchased separately ($$$) and an external HD is still required to make it a DVR receiver.

I searched but couldn't find anything on a "hitchhiker" antenna.


Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System


Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

Senior Member

Joined: 12/25/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/20/19 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As mentioned, the Hopper will not work with any dome style antenna. You need a Trav'ler, Eagle or a home style antenna mounted on a tripod if you need something cheap and portable.


What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

Senior Member

Joined: 12/27/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/20/19 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFord wrote:

The Vip211z is the most versatile receiver Dish around right now. You should be able to find on Craig's List for under $40. You can add an external hard drive and make it into a DVR (there's $40 lifetime charge to enable that feature but you may be able to get Dish to comp that cost). It tunes Over The Air (OTA) channels and can put those shows on the DVR too. It has outputs for component video, RF coax and HDMI. I've got one at the house and keep another on the MH ($7/month) - bought them both off CL. I bought a Wally only to find out the only output is one HDMI port, the OTA tuner must be purchased separately ($$$) and an external HD is still required to make it a DVR receiver.

I searched but couldn't find anything on a "hitchhiker" antenna.


I think you mean 211K not Z. I have a Z and it does not have a built in OTA tuner and it only has one hdmi. The K has the features you mention.

TechWriter

On The Road

Senior Member

Joined: 12/22/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/20/19 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFord wrote:

I bought a Wally only to find out the only output is one HDMI port, the OTA tuner must be purchased separately ($$$) and an external HD is still required to make it a DVR receiver.

All the 211 "flavors" have only one HDMI port. The 211 & 211k do have Component Video which may or may not be HD.

[image]


2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 12/16/2001

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 09/20/19 10:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Katuna wrote:

DFord wrote:

The Vip211z is the most versatile receiver Dish around right now. You should be able to find on Craig's List for under $40. You can add an external hard drive and make it into a DVR (there's $40 lifetime charge to enable that feature but you may be able to get Dish to comp that cost). It tunes Over The Air (OTA) channels and can put those shows on the DVR too. It has outputs for component video, RF coax and HDMI. I've got one at the house and keep another on the MH ($7/month) - bought them both off CL. I bought a Wally only to find out the only output is one HDMI port, the OTA tuner must be purchased separately ($$$) and an external HD is still required to make it a DVR receiver.

I searched but couldn't find anything on a "hitchhiker" antenna.


I think you mean 211K not Z. I have a Z and it does not have a built in OTA tuner and it only has one hdmi. The K has the features you mention.
You're right. I was thinking about the 211k. The 211z dropped the internal OTA tuner but it didn't change the price.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

 > Hopper receiver with hitchhiker dish
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS