Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing with my new Honda Ridgeline
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing with my new Honda Ridgeline

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Bert Ackerman

Palm Beach

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Warning----------------Browsing through THIS THREAD may result in some if not most of the folks on this board having a Cerebrovascular Accident.

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

to each their own. I have no desire to have one but im glad you like it.

for what its worth my reasoning has nothing to do with it being a "real" truck or not. It is what it is a unibody pickup truck. I don't want one because I worked on tooling for it and it was a nightmare. furthermore in the last 5 years it was the ONLY job I did for Honda compared to hundreds for the big 3. Lastly its not any cheaper or more capable than my f150 (that's build down the road) and full of my work.

* This post was edited 09/19/19 08:58am by Jebby14 *

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife has a 2010 Pilot that we bought new and it's been great. I think the only issue we've had with it was a transmission pressure switch that went bad and that was about a 15 minute and $40 fix. We mostly use it for shuttling the kids around town. The negatives are terrible fuel economy (15 is about average around town) and it runs pretty high on the highway which is sounds like is a problem OP's Ridgeline too. For a truck I'd never buy a Ridgeline but I'm sure it's a quality vehicle and I understand why some would go that route.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jebby14 wrote:

to each their own. I have no desire to have one but im glad you like it.

for what its worth my reasoning has nothing to do with it being a "real" truck or not. It is what it is a unibody pickup truck. I don't want one because I worked on tooling for it and it was a nightmare. furthermore in the last 5 years it was the ONLY job I did for Honda compared to hundreds for the big 3. Lastly its not any cheaper or more capable than my f150 (that's build down the road) and full of my work.

I simply do not need a full size truck so I went with the Honda. I drove F-150 SCab's for 15 years and loved them. Then I was towing a 22' 5,600# TT and the 5.4L V-8 handled it very well. Now the only true truck function I have is towing my Bike or Rzr and a full size truck would be overkill and a waste of money {to purchase and to operate}. Trying to compare the two is a fools errand as they are very different animals but both have their charms and a ideal functions.

For the record Car and Driver named the Ridgeline the Mid Size truck of the year for 2017, 18 and 19 and that stikes me as pretty high praise. Before buying the Ridgeline I looked at Chevy Colorado and GMC Yukon's and was impressed by both. The lack of selection this late in the model year is what finally sent me down the road as neither Chevy or GMC could come up with the model and options I wanted.

In the end the Colorado and Yukon were just way more turck then I needed and actually cost several thousand more than the Honda. For me about 90 percent of the time I will just be enjoying the ride, handling and economy of the Ridgeline and forgetting that it is a real truck anytime I need it to be even though that won't be often.

[emoticon]

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow a 4x8 utility trailer with my Saab convertible, doesn't make it a truck. [emoticon]

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a nice combo. If you're having fun, that's all that matters.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Honda makes one heck of a lawn mower too [emoticon]

don't let anyone give you grief. if its right for you enjoy.

kw/00

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/19 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that there will always be a debate about the Honda Ridgeline. That being said even though I’m a guy who likes body on frame, I would consider it a truck. Kinda like today we call all of these crossovers that are unibody SUVs. It’s capable and works for most of the weekend warrior guys whether they admit or it or not.. My neighbor has one, it’s the first version. It does what it’s built to do and runs forever without issues. I have seen one towing a small 22-24 foot TT here in Florida, doesn’t seem like any issues with it. I’m glad that it works for you, that’s my thought. I still think Honda did a great job with this vehicle, the back tail gate opening option and trunk is really cool. That truck saves people from buying a tool box. Easy to load for many, so I’m seeing more of them where I live. Enjoy it!

A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing with my new Honda Ridgeline
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS