cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing with my new Honda Ridgeline

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
After a lot of research I purchased a 2019 Honda Ridgeline last month. My towing needs were very simple, I tow a 10' {14' overall} cargo trailer hauling either my Indian Springfield - bike and trailer 2,220# or my Polaris Rzr - Rzr and Trailer 2,580#.

The keyboard commando's of the internet all wanted to tell me my new Honda was not a real truck...LMAO until I pointed out that a dodge 4 X 4 Crew Cab 1500 half ton comes with 977# of Payload and my Ridgeline comes with 1,477# AWD, 18" wheels and the 6 speed trans complete the equation for me.

While I usually tow with my 2012 Nexus 24' Class C, V-10 with the 5 speed Torque Shift trans and a 4:10 differential there are often times when I do not need to have the motorhome as part of the equation. The Honda gives me options as the mileage towing is 16 vs 8.5 - 9 with the coach. For the record I m seeing 24 mpg around town {not towing} and 26 - 28 on the interstate.

Just returned from my first serious shakedown trip from Tucson up to Angel Fire New Mexico {1,455 miles}. Lots of moutnains between Tucson {3,300'} and Angel Fire {9,000'} but the Honda did not even breath hard. Mostly 6th gear at 2,400 rpm to cruise 65. The low hills kicked us down to 5th gear and 3,400 rpm and an twice it actually kicked down to 4th and 4,400... boring.

Up and over the pass from Taos to Angel Fire and again over Bobcat Pass {9,820' with 4 adults and and the 2,580# Rzr} on our way to Red River I actually en engaged Honda's version of Tow Haul... D-4, which holds the trans in 4th gear up and down the mountain.

I had met a guy in Tombstone with a new Ridgeline towing a nice retro 19' - 2,600# TT and he loved the combo. His experience set me in motion to this equation... and thank you!

I stopped at the triple T truckstop on I-10 on the way home and hit the C.A.T. Scale with the following results:

Front axle: 2,680 {max 3,131}

Rear Axle: 2,640 {max 3219}

Trailer axle 2,580 {max 2,990}

Total: 7,900

This with two adults and a weeks worth of "stuff".

Obviously no need whatsoever for a weight distribution hitch as the rig sits dead level. The ride and handling towing are amazing. Take your hands off of the wheel {carefully and keeping them close} and the rig will track up the interstate straight as an arrow.

I simply do not need more truck than the Honda, if I did I would have bought something else but with the AWD, 18" wheels, 6 speed trans and nearly 1,500# of payload I am good to go. Guess I will just have to learn to live with it not being a "Real Truck"... LMAO!

:B
17 REPLIES 17

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
I think that there will always be a debate about the Honda Ridgeline. That being said even though Iโ€™m a guy who likes body on frame, I would consider it a truck. Kinda like today we call all of these crossovers that are unibody SUVs. Itโ€™s capable and works for most of the weekend warrior guys whether they admit or it or not.. My neighbor has one, itโ€™s the first version. It does what itโ€™s built to do and runs forever without issues. I have seen one towing a small 22-24 foot TT here in Florida, doesnโ€™t seem like any issues with it. Iโ€™m glad that it works for you, thatโ€™s my thought. I still think Honda did a great job with this vehicle, the back tail gate opening option and trunk is really cool. That truck saves people from buying a tool box. Easy to load for many, so Iโ€™m seeing more of them where I live. Enjoy it!
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
Honda makes one heck of a lawn mower too ๐Ÿ™‚

don't let anyone give you grief. if its right for you enjoy.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a nice combo. If you're having fun, that's all that matters.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 4x8 utility trailer with my Saab convertible, doesn't make it a truck. :B
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jebby14 wrote:
to each their own. I have no desire to have one but im glad you like it.

for what its worth my reasoning has nothing to do with it being a "real" truck or not. It is what it is a unibody pickup truck. I don't want one because I worked on tooling for it and it was a nightmare. furthermore in the last 5 years it was the ONLY job I did for Honda compared to hundreds for the big 3. Lastly its not any cheaper or more capable than my f150 (that's build down the road) and full of my work.

I simply do not need a full size truck so I went with the Honda. I drove F-150 SCab's for 15 years and loved them. Then I was towing a 22' 5,600# TT and the 5.4L V-8 handled it very well. Now the only true truck function I have is towing my Bike or Rzr and a full size truck would be overkill and a waste of money {to purchase and to operate}. Trying to compare the two is a fools errand as they are very different animals but both have their charms and a ideal functions.

For the record Car and Driver named the Ridgeline the Mid Size truck of the year for 2017, 18 and 19 and that stikes me as pretty high praise. Before buying the Ridgeline I looked at Chevy Colorado and GMC Yukon's and was impressed by both. The lack of selection this late in the model year is what finally sent me down the road as neither Chevy or GMC could come up with the model and options I wanted.

In the end the Colorado and Yukon were just way more turck then I needed and actually cost several thousand more than the Honda. For me about 90 percent of the time I will just be enjoying the ride, handling and economy of the Ridgeline and forgetting that it is a real truck anytime I need it to be even though that won't be often.

:C

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
My wife has a 2010 Pilot that we bought new and it's been great. I think the only issue we've had with it was a transmission pressure switch that went bad and that was about a 15 minute and $40 fix. We mostly use it for shuttling the kids around town. The negatives are terrible fuel economy (15 is about average around town) and it runs pretty high on the highway which is sounds like is a problem OP's Ridgeline too. For a truck I'd never buy a Ridgeline but I'm sure it's a quality vehicle and I understand why some would go that route.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
to each their own. I have no desire to have one but im glad you like it.

for what its worth my reasoning has nothing to do with it being a "real" truck or not. It is what it is a unibody pickup truck. I don't want one because I worked on tooling for it and it was a nightmare. furthermore in the last 5 years it was the ONLY job I did for Honda compared to hundreds for the big 3. Lastly its not any cheaper or more capable than my f150 (that's build down the road) and full of my work.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
Warning----------------Browsing through THIS THREAD may result in some if not most of the folks on this board having a Cerebrovascular Accident.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
16 MPG is pretty impressive for towing a cube like that. Yeah, there seems to be a lot of people that believe they know more about what a truck will do than the people that designed it, built it and provide the warrentee coverage.

My only concern would be emergency stops. I would want trailer brakes on that trailer even if I did use a one ton dually to pull it. Over the last 40+ years I have had to make several stops where a small investment in trailer brakes paid off rather handsomely.

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
CaLBaR wrote:
Glad you are happy with the Ridgeline. Seems a perfect combo for what you need it to do. Some people on here insist that you need a 1 ton dually to tow a pop up trailer.

Thought the preferred TV for a popup was a singled Class 8 tractor? :B:B

Thanks for the correction!! ;):D
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Iโ€™m sure it tows a 3000lb trailer well. It should. And itโ€™s a nice looking setup by the way. As far as it being a โ€œrealโ€ truck? Depends what the keyboard commandos consider a truck .
Plenty of mid size pickups out there. This one happens to be a midsize suv with a bed.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Seems a number of small trucks have bigger payloads than 1500 Rams. A โ€œhalf ton truckโ€ that wonโ€™t carry a half ton.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
CaLBaR wrote:
Glad you are happy with the Ridgeline. Seems a perfect combo for what you need it to do. Some people on here insist that you need a 1 ton dually to tow a pop up trailer.

Thought the preferred TV for a popup was a singled Class 8 tractor? :B:B

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you are happy with your rig combination. Really, that's all that really matters. We get slammed for our RVs when folks say we are not really camping unless you sleep naked in the desert on the ground with a rattle snake under your feet and a broken cactus for a pillow eating dried beef jerky and water in a canteen. No need to justify what what you like and what works for you. Just enjoy and be happy.