Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Leaving the RV World for a while
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Leaving the RV World for a while

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
LIKE2BUILD

Decatur

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/19 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This past weekend I made a deal to sell our 5er. A good and sad day at the same time and I know the wife will be really bummed when the new owners get it next weekend. Unfortunately we're at a stage where we are chasing our teenage and college kids to every event under the sun. Our free weekends are very few and far between and it's honestly more work and energy to prep the 5er and go somewhere than it's worth. We greatly enjoy camping, but instead of being relaxing it turns into work. We just made the decision that it's not worth having a valuable RV setting beside our house when it gets used a couple of weekends a year at the most.

So, until we get our youngest graduated we are going to be out of the RV game. We definitely plan to buy another 5er in about 5 years when it's just the two of us and we'll have the freedom to come and go more often. I'll probably pop onto the forum from time to time just to keep up on trends.

Adios!

KJ

2012 Sandpiper 32QBBS--Sold ">
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'96 Polaris SLT780 PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (20, 14, & 12)
1 forgiving wife!!!

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I had kids to follow around it would be in an RV.

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/19 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like the right move at this time in your lives. We went through a similar period where the kids were too busy to camp, which made us too busy too. Someday, sooner than you expect, you'll be ready to start up again.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/19 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LIKE2BUILD wrote:

This past weekend I made a deal to sell our 5er. A good and sad day at the same time and I know the wife will be really bummed when the new owners get it next weekend. Unfortunately we're at a stage where we are chasing our teenage and college kids to every event under the sun. Our free weekends are very few and far between and it's honestly more work and energy to prep the 5er and go somewhere than it's worth. We greatly enjoy camping, but instead of being relaxing it turns into work. We just made the decision that it's not worth having a valuable RV setting beside our house when it gets used a couple of weekends a year at the most.

So, until we get our youngest graduated we are going to be out of the RV game. We definitely plan to buy another 5er in about 5 years when it's just the two of us and we'll have the freedom to come and go more often. I'll probably pop onto the forum from time to time just to keep up on trends.

Adios!

KJ

I so understand your circumstance. Our kids aren't quite as old, but at 10, 13 and 14 we are discovering the same reality and asking the very same questions. Congratulations on making the right (albeit difficult) decision for your family. Good luck on this next chapter as it unfolds!

LIKE2BUILD

Decatur

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/19 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mickeyfan0805 wrote:

.... at 10, 13 and 14 we are discovering the same reality and asking the very same questions...

We were in pretty good shape at those ages but it quickly snowballed. Right now we're head long into football with the middle one, the youngest starts basketball soon, they are both in traveling show choirs that started this fall and extends into April, they are both in Boy Scouts which is a tent campout one weekend a month, and the middle one is also on the HS bass fishing team. We also like to occasionally visit the oldest one that's 6 hours away at college. Oh, and we're also officially 'tweeners' because we have a number of things we have to do assisting our parents as well.

Another driving factor is simply finances. We have a little debt hanging out there but we have a paid-off camper. The financially prudent thing was to sell the unused asset(camper), pay off the other debts, then put the remaining money in better places.

This is definitely the sensible thing to do, but it sure yanks on the heart strings. I'm 100% certain the wife will be in tears as it goes away this weekend (quote possibly me too). But, as Bpounds said, the day we're back into a camper will most definitely get here way faster than we realize.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/19 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, if you're keeping the truck, you could always rent a TT (or FW, if you're keeping the hitch) if/when you get the chance to go camping. Don't know about IL, but here in AZ there are several "RVRBO" places around that have some really nice rigs available.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

LIKE2BUILD

Decatur

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/19 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

Well, if you're keeping the truck, you could always rent a TT (or FW, if you're keeping the hitch).....

Lyle

That thought did cross my mind. I'm definitely keeping the hitch because it fits in my OEM 5th wheel prep kit. The buyers are going to convert to a Reese Goosebox because they tow a lot of livestock trailers and don't want to mess with inserting/removing a 5er hitch.

The RV dealers in my area are pretty sparse but I'm sure there's some place to rent one within a reasonable distance.

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good decision, support the kids in their activities as long as you can, and maybe a few years to rv before the grand kids come along.
Then you can bring them with you in your new bunk house 5th wheel.

LIKE2BUILD

Decatur

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/19 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyp4951 wrote:

Good decision, support the kids in their activities as long as you can, and maybe a few years to rv before the grand kids come along.
Then you can bring them with you in your new bunk house 5th wheel.

Funny, it’s a bunkhouse 5er we sold [emoticon]. But yeah, we’ll have grandkids at some point to tag along with us. Then we can spoil them and send them home for the parents to deal with. Sounds kinda fun!!!

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, it's tough with all the sport and other school activities. I get bummed about this time each year as I see my RV sit in the driveway as I go to/from soccer practice, volleyball practice, school conferences and everything else BUT using my RV. For some reason I don't remember my parents hauling me around and doing all this when I was young (maybe it was just my parents [emoticon])

Don't worry... we'll all still be here when you come back!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Leaving the RV World for a while
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS