Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Leaving the RV World for a while
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Leaving the RV World for a while

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I feel your pain. I've got a freshman in college and a junior in high school. Both are/were travel lacrosse players, and we just used the TT as a rolling hotel. We are going to see my oldest in college this weekend, and we are taking the camper. We stayed at a hotel the last time we visited her, and hated the hotel.
Our camping has changed some, but we still get a couple of actual camping trips in each year. Now with the kids older, I try to make sure they are learning things on the trip. I have them drive in less busy areas, and they are learning to back the camper. We talked about selling, but decided to keep it, and enjoy as we can. When both are in college we may sell the bunkhouse and get one more suited for a couple.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 213k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/19 04:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In this regard...to each his own...
My wife and I made a firm decision when we started having children. We were watching parents ahead of us chase their children’s activities from one end of the earth to the other. They enact a carefully orchestrated circus of shuttling kids and shuffling activities so that everyone can “do their thing”. We said...not us. When we were children, you played one sport in the fall, another sport in the spring, and that was it. Nowadays, single sports (ie baseball) runs year-round. We put our kids in baseball for one season then waited for it to cycle around again the next year, but what we found was that all their peers never quit playing so they were far ahead in terms of developed skills. The only way for our children to keep pace and not be constant bench warmers is to run the same year-round cycle...which we’re not going to do.

IMHO, these year-round sports cycles and constant activity-driven lifestyles are a true detriment to our families. But again, MY opinion...

Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

pyoung47

MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/19 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We sold our RV when the kids were too involved in school stuff to want to camp. Then, when they were 13 and 16, we threw a couple of dome tents in the van and took off on a 5,000 mile trip that they will never forget.

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sigh, my baby daughter will turn 47 this year. [emoticon]

However come 1 Oct we will be heading for that full hook up she has for us beside her house in SC. [emoticon]

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/19 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WTP-GC wrote:

IMHO, these year-round sports cycles and constant activity-driven lifestyles are a true detriment to our families. But again, MY opinion...

This is precisely why we have not, yet, made any moves on selling ours. While our kids have become very active in things, our family time away from it all remains a high priority for us. Having the camper pushes us to make time that we otherwise would not. After having to cancel a trip later this month due to a conflict, we shoe-horned a trip into this last weekend. It was a lot of work for a couple of days, and our daughter still needed to be brought back into town for a practice on Saturday, but it created some dedicated family time that would have never happened if the trailer weren't sitting there begging to be used.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Leaving the RV World for a while
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS